Wideband O2 Sensor - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 12:36 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5452
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3TUNR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Wideband???

The term wideband sensor came up in a conversation and now im going to ask on here. What is the plus's and when would you want to go wideband. What does it help with. Im still learning and hoping some one can clue me in on this part.

Last edited by ZX3TUNR; 10-25-2004 at 08:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
AKA SMDYSMF-X-2

Fan#: 13131
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Arauthator Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
"Heated thimble-type O2 sensors have been the predominant O2 sensors used in the United States for several years, despite the fact that some vehicles still used unheated sensors into the late 1990s," Akamatsu said. "Continually advancing emissions requirements, such as OBD II, have mandated more advanced, new oxygen sensors that are more sensitive and more durable. The heated planar sensor, introduced by Bosch in 1998, provides greater sophistication in exhaust gas measurement and fast 'light-off' of about 10 to 12 seconds."

Heated planar sensors, which consist of a flat strip of laminated ceramic instead of the more familiar thimble, reduce cold-start emissions and are currently being installed on nearly 50% of new vehicles.

Bosch has also started to introduce the next generation of O2 sensors called "wide-band" O2 sensors. These sensors produce a signal that is directly proportional to the air/fuel ratio instead of switching back and forth between a rich/lean reading. This allows the engine management system to more closely maintain the air/fuel ratio for optimum performance, fuel economy and emissions. The wide-band sensors are made like planar sensors and use a flat strip ceramic sensing element rather than a zirconia thimble. But they have an extra "pumping cell" laminated into the strip to create the internal circuitry needed to measure the air/fuel mixture.

http://www.ptuning.com/html/search-r...odel&cmbBrand=
Old 10-25-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6163
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen N2O #87

FF Reputation: 3 Yellow-ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
if i remember right, all a wideband o2 is good for is tuning purposes. but don't take my word on it.
2005 Saleen N2O #87
1993 Chevy Silverado 4x4
2013 Taurus SHO

2011 Flightline Comp 29er
Old 10-25-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12408
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 d3bilhan Good Standing Member
I don't really know but would assume to receive the benefit of the wideband, the computer program would have to be written for it.

[img]
Old 10-25-2004, 09:41 PM   #5
AKA SMDYSMF-X-2

Fan#: 13131
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Arauthator Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Yellow-ZX3
if i remember right, all a wideband o2 is good for is tuning purposes. but don't take my word on it.
That is the number one reason for a widband O2 sensor, it allows you tune things in correlation. Important things like AFR, RPM, MAP, and CHT. If you decide to get this....usually for hardcore racers...you will want the LM-1. I myself have been checking this thing out to run with my SCT Pro Racer Package. It is an added tuning tool.

Description:

Tuning an engine for maximum power previously required long trial-and-error sessions on a dynamometer. With the LM-1, precise AFR measurement allows the user to correctly adjust many variables- including carburetor jetting, fuel injection, turbo fuel curves, etc.- without long and expensive dyno sessions. The meterís digital signal processing technology provides data on exactly how rich or lean an engine is running at any load. The LM-1ís self-calibrating circuitry also compensates for changes in temperature, altitude, and sensor condition.

The instrument can sample and store the air-fuel-ratio and the other sensor data internally in operation for later analysis on a personal computer. At a sampling rate of 12 samples/second the instrument can store up to 44 minutes worth of data in non-volatile memory. The data can be downloaded to a personal computer using a standard serial port and viewed/analyzed by the included software or any standard spreadsheet program.

The LM-1 with RPM Converter includes a Bosch wide-band oxygen sensor and cable, RPM Tach Converter (Aux Input #2), cigarette-lighter adapter, serial cable for PC connection, 9V battery, exhaust bung and plug, CD and manual. The LM-1 ships with a Bosch sensor, however, it can also function with other wide-band sensors, including Honda/NTK and VW sensors.

Available accessories include auxiliary input cables, alligator-clip power cable, exhaust clamp, analog output cable, and Aux. input expander. Additional accessories include a dash-mountable display and AC adapter.

Includes: LM1, Bosch 5-wire Wideband 02 Sensor, RPM Converter (Aux Input #2), Analog Output Cable, 10ft. Sensor Cable, 10ft. Power Cable (Cig), 6ft. Serial Cable for PC Connection, Bung/Plug Kit, Software CD, and Quick Start Guide.

I don't know about you guys....but that sounds like a pretty nifty little tool to have in your toolbox if you are turbocharging.

Last edited by Arauthator; 10-25-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
as said, the wideband is primarily used for tuning purposes, however, they are starting to be installed as a factory item because they are much more precise than the current O2 sensors. I know VW uses wideband O2s on some of their cars, and I'm sure that within five years wideband's will come on all new production vehicles
Old 12-03-2004, 12:35 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

I heard more and more talk about wideband o2 hitting all newer make autos. It would come in handy for sure for a lot of ppl.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:22 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2307
What I Drive: 2003, Cloud Nine, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FociS8nt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by ZX3TUNR
I heard more and more talk about wideband o2 hitting all newer make autos. It would come in handy for sure for a lot of ppl.
thats cus crazymechanic just said it lol

"as said, the wideband is primarily used for tuning purposes, they are starting to be installed as a factory item because they are much more precise than the current O2 sensors. I know VW uses wideband O2s on some of their cars, and I'm sure that within five years wideband's will come on all new production vehicles"
Old 12-03-2004, 05:56 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16223
What I Drive: Fairly stock 2001 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Fordesigner Good Standing Member
Wide bands are great. But for your modded motors......

Great for tuning, but not for leaving in. You'll go through senors every other year. It'll quickly get expensive to keep them in. Put them in, tune, remove. They usually us plugs for the O2 bung when they remove them. That's why most come with boxes, not gauges.

On a side note, if your not continually playing with boost.... These are not required. Your tuner should have everything set. And I would recommend a Dawes device O2. http://www.dawesdevices.com/airfuelmeter.html
A/F ratio gauges are merely a light show at anything other than WOT. That's the only time the computer is not making adjustments to the A/F ratio. That's why I prefer the Dawes 4 lights, you don't need 10. We only really care if we're running dangerously lean or pig rich. Wide bands are only really needed for tuning and they can become fouled very easy. Concentrate on driving, gauges should be read at a glance and not distract the driver.
Disclaimer: All Ford employees, Ford dealerships and service personnel: This in no way constitutes an admission or acknowledgement of tampering, modification, or alteration of any vehicle in my possession in such a manner as to void, cancel, deny or otherwise refuse service on any service contracts, warrantees, or recall notices covering said vehicle. This and other posts submitted on this forum, under the screenname Fordesigner simply represent an attempt to gain acceptance from a peer group espousing cars of a high performance nature - including those that have been altered to improve or enhance the automobile's natural characteristics.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:35 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks man. I wouldnt mind having one when I go take my car in for tuning this summer.

Quote:
thats cus crazymechanic just said it lol
I didnt see his post...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.