Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Finally Zxthrizzle05 turbo zetec build

72K views 446 replies 37 participants last post by  ZXthrizzle05 
#1 · (Edited)
My parts list include JE pistong with Eagle rods. A kesatie motorsports zetec turbo kit with 60lbs injectors and a water meth inj. Kit. And I have a kenne bell BAP, water pump, oil pump, new timing n serpentine belts, ford oem headgasket, ARP main head bolts. Anything else I mioght b e forgettung idk there's alotYep as of today I had my lemon towed to my fathers garage and I got it up on stands. I drained the oil and removed the cam gear cover and the coolant resevoir tank so far. Its 9 o clock now and I didn't get the car towed till 6 due to our snow causing every towe truck being busy the last 6 days. Anyways here some pics of car at home and car in garage.

See less See more
#364 ·
ok heres 16 psi on shitty camera phone. as soon as i replace my pressure switch ill get it on my go pro. its 89 degrees out so it prolly wont look as good due to the hot air outside

#366 ·
Ya now I need to figure out how the hell I'm going to get my pipe from the turbo to intercooler to sit a little higher. I got some dings in it from speed bumps or rail road X.

#370 ·
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]UPDATE[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

so the past 2 months or so haven't been the greatest for the lil yellow guy. just doing cruising drives the car would jump around and feel like it was falling apart when you would just ease into the throttle to be in the speed limit area. well after discussing with a lot of people here on the forums we all thought it was a misfire issue....bought all new plugs wires coil pack yada yada yada and still nothing. sent datalogs to many of people and had great ideas on what it all was, none panned out. then form about mid april till about a week ago tom and I were working together countless hours days on end trying to see if it was tune related. pulling tricks on the ecu and what not and still gained nothing to solve the problem. then about a week ago Tom had an idea after seeing a picture of my engine bay....he noticed my MAF was real close to the bend to my bov. he recommended I move it up and away from it about 8 inches more towards the tb, thinking the sensor was reading real dirty air. so I bought a 18 inch long powder coated 2.5 inch diameter aluminum pipe and cut it about to 7 inches in length. slipped it in and we started over basically in the tuning process, and he was right. TOM NAILED IT! that was a genious idea and solved everything completely. got rid of the jumping issue while cruising and definitely smoothes out my STFT1 in the datalogs very well. the car feels like a factory boosted car now. and is a fun thing even at 10 psi. who ever thought my issues with my car were tune related are POORLY mistaken, Tom is a great tuner and great to deal with, worked with me while he was cruising from shop to shop and dealing with his own personal life. a real stand up dude and great customer service, cant beat that in a tuner AT ALL. overall a greatly satisfied customer and cant wait to start upping the boost some more. stay tuned finally for some dyno graphs as well.

#372 ·
Just a small correction to his update , the reason for moving the MAF was to get it further away from the 90deg bend coming from the intercooler altho his BOV is there as well and we talked about so many things trying to cure this issue

I feel the bend was to close to the MAF and we were getting dirty air around the MAF sensor and causing his driveability and WOT issues

I will start asking for pictures of custom home built setups , I am glad I could help in getting you going , were almost there

Tom

#373 ·
yes correct from what I mentioned earlier it was close to a 90 deg bend leading to my bov wich was making it measure dirty air. I am also going to figure out a way to add to the read first section in this board about maf placement if you do home made set ups as well for $ conservancy

#376 ·
how told you that and why?

3" charge piping on the cold side is not going to hurt performance on a car making 220whp. your already running a 3" maf housing

boost response may suffer some on the hot side piping but i'll be dyno testing all this on my miata as soon as i have the money to do so.

#377 ·
I was the one , 3 inch piping is to big for anything less then about 350HP , yes he is running a 3 inch MAF but going from 2.5 to 3 inch to 2.5 has its pluses , full 3 inch will loose some reference

The TB and intake isnt 3 inch so even if you were maxing out the 3 inch you couldnt get it into the engine , the outlet of the turbo is less then 2.5 why do a 3 inch if the engine cannot take in what the 3 inch pipe can carry or if the turbo cannot feed it let alone running it with less then 350HP , go for the drivability

Please dont take this wrong I have seen your work and support what you do and think your doing a great job , you need more dyno time and more time to test things and you will see what I have found over the years , the Miata engine you will find responds diff to boost then the Zetec does , most of what your learn on th Miata wont be the same on the Zetec

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.