Built engine question... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply




 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Fan#: 1690
Posts: 8,262
Points 11,708, Level 71
Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Built engine question...

How much rebuilding would it take to safely run a 10-15 PSI charge? Or for what it would cost am I better off with Tom's stage one kit?

And could you run that on pump gas? The highest octane I can easily get around here is 94.


SkaAddict is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Fan#: 490
Location: NJ
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

Posts: 4,779
FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
The FP stage 1 kit made 193whp and 191 wtq on 93 octane at 9 psi.
focaltech is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Fan#: 1690
Posts: 8,262
Points 11,708, Level 71
Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
So am I better off with a low-pressue/low-cost system? Maybe I should've asked would rebuilding my engine to handle 10-15 PSI be worth the gained HP over a system that can run safely on a stock system?
SkaAddict is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2004, 04:22 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Fan#: 6707
Location: Staten Island, NY
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

Posts: 1,711
FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally posted by Frogman283
So am I better off with a low-pressue/low-cost system? Maybe I should've asked would rebuilding my engine to handle 10-15 PSI be worth the gained HP over a system that can run safely on a stock system?
either way it'll cost a hefty penny, if you got the money, and you want the power now, just get the stg1 kit...but if you got the money and can wait to get FI, then build the engine up then go for the full kit in the future.

Plus, if you go FI, you MUST run at the very minimal 91octane, but 93 is the recommended value (this is talking for toms kit, tom could verify this to be 100% sure).
ouikikazz is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Fan#: 1690
Posts: 8,262
Points 11,708, Level 71
Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I was under the assumption that the higher your charge pressure gets, the higher octane fuel you need, so while 93 might work in the stage 1 kit, it won't when you're getting up towards 15 PSI.

Also, I'm aware of the ability to completely rebuild the engine from the block up, but is that really necessary if you're not running a 20+ PSI charge? I mean, putting in a WRC block and all-forged internals and a new head would be nice, but I don't exactly have $10,000 sitting around to rebuild my engine. I'm trying to figure out if a partial rebuild would be cost-effective or if I'm just better off with the stage 1 kit, kind of a how many horses per dollar issue. I don't want to have to drop $5,000 (in rebuilding) just to get above 8 PSI if it only means a modest gain.
SkaAddict is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Fan#: 6707
Location: Staten Island, NY
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

Posts: 1,711
FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally posted by Frogman283
I was under the assumption that the higher your charge pressure gets, the higher octane fuel you need, so while 93 might work in the stage 1 kit, it won't when you're getting up towards 15 PSI.

Also, I'm aware of the ability to completely rebuild the engine from the block up, but is that really necessary if you're not running a 20+ PSI charge? I mean, putting in a WRC block and all-forged internals and a new head would be nice, but I don't exactly have $10,000 sitting around to rebuild my engine. I'm trying to figure out if a partial rebuild would be cost-effective or if I'm just better off with the stage 1 kit, kind of a how many horses per dollar issue. I don't want to have to drop $5,000 (in rebuilding) just to get above 8 PSI if it only means a modest gain.
a focus-power stg1 will give u 190/190 in hp/tq if you want more u'll need to go full kit and you'll get like 230/230? (i dont remember exactly) with potential to go upwards of 300...but both kits will give you the #'s i've said on STOCK internals...if you want to reach like 300 u'd need some stronger engine parts.
ouikikazz is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2004, 10:24 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Fan#: 1690
Posts: 8,262
Points 11,708, Level 71
Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Sorry, bear with me for a minute, I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to forced induction.

I was under the assumption that on a stock engine, anything over the stage one kit would eventually cause the engine to "blow" prematurely. I'm aware that with any FI system the engine life is going to be shortened, but I'm talking about a drastically short lifespan. So would it be technically "safe" to have Tom's regular zetec kit installed on an otherwise stock engine, or do I need to do some modifications first? I'm not talking about basically having a new engine installed, but something more along the lines of replacing the stock internals with forged ones, etc.

I'm not really concerned with going anything over 250, I'm working on my daily driver here, I'd just like to be able to give the SRT-4/WRX people a run for their money at the track, and have a car more powerful than the stock setup (doesn't everyone?) I just got a new job that pays more than double than the one I'm leaving, so now instead of being a long term "do it if I get the money" its more of a "save up and have it done inside of a year."
SkaAddict is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2004, 01:09 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Fan#: 6707
Location: Staten Island, NY
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

Posts: 1,711
FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally posted by Frogman283
Sorry, bear with me for a minute, I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to forced induction.

I was under the assumption that on a stock engine, anything over the stage one kit would eventually cause the engine to "blow" prematurely. I'm aware that with any FI system the engine life is going to be shortened, but I'm talking about a drastically short lifespan. So would it be technically "safe" to have Tom's regular zetec kit installed on an otherwise stock engine, or do I need to do some modifications first? I'm not talking about basically having a new engine installed, but something more along the lines of replacing the stock internals with forged ones, etc.

I'm not really concerned with going anything over 250, I'm working on my daily driver here, I'd just like to be able to give the SRT-4/WRX people a run for their money at the track, and have a car more powerful than the stock setup (doesn't everyone?) I just got a new job that pays more than double than the one I'm leaving, so now instead of being a long term "do it if I get the money" its more of a "save up and have it done inside of a year."
as far as shortening lifespan dramatically someone else will need to help you with that...

but as far as running the full kit, http://www.focus-power.com/view.php?showme=Zetec_Kit

i dont think we focus owners have much options of a 'stage1, stage2, stage3' etc etc. We only have 2 real routes to go, one is through Tom at www.focus-power.com where he carries a starter kit and a full kit....and the second option is a custom kit....the aerocharger is not made anymore, steeda's kit is still too new and gude, well its a gude so no need to say more about gude. Therefore its either Toms kits or custom, tom will have more tuning readily available, for a custom kit u will need to spend lots of time tuning.
ouikikazz is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2004, 10:05 AM   #9
AKA Toyotech
 
Kicknzx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Fan#: 9
Location: Oak Ridge, NJ
What I Drive: A few

Posts: 4,043
FF Reputation: 1 Kicknzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
with a good 200whp, the motor should last about 90% of its lifetime...PROPERLY TUNED...toms kit is safe on the short block, but i only suggest driving to him. u could make 250hp on pump gas, but i wouldn't run anything over 10psi on the stock block.

ouik: precision
__________________
2012 Toyota Camry SE
2012 Chevy Cruze LT/RS
2006 Ford Escape XLE V6
1991 Ford Mustang LX/5.0
Kicknzx3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2004, 10:18 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Fan#: 6707
Location: Staten Island, NY
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

Posts: 1,711
FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicknzx3
with a good 200whp, the motor should last about 90% of its lifetime...PROPERLY TUNED...toms kit is safe on the short block, but i only suggest driving to him. u could make 250hp on pump gas, but i wouldn't run anything over 10psi on the stock block.

ouik: precision
whoops i forgot bout the precision kit, i think thats the same of the steeda kit i beleive, but from what tom has said, their tuning sucks or is just not avail
ouikikazz is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
possible engine replacement question ronnieraygun General Technical Chat 8 08-31-2010 08:54 PM
BMW M3 Convertible Tom General Car Chat Lounge 11 03-23-2008 12:09 PM
Feeler: FS Built 9.0 complete engine jeeptofocus BST Archive 10 07-06-2007 06:02 PM
General Specs on the 2.3L Duratec b16sir1991 General Technical Chat 0 04-18-2007 10:21 AM
General specs on the SPI b16sir1991 General Technical Chat 0 04-18-2007 10:20 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac ATS Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum, Civic Type-R Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.





Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1