Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Roushcharger!!!

17K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  Szat2089 
#1 ·
I just saw the SEMA Roush Focus RS3 concept... wow!!! I really hope the supercharger kit hits the market soon! I think that an extra 50hp would really wake up my SE.

Posted via FF Mobile

#11 ·
Roush's own website just says 230/210, not WHP or crank-hp.

When that's all that's said, it's usually crank-hp

http://www.roushperformance.com/blog/2011/11/roush-focus/

So at 230 crank-hp, I'd pass, and go straight for a turbo set-up.

Plus, Roush-modified cars don't have a very good reputation for reliability.

#7 ·
my 2012 dynoed at 148whp 139wtq no mods with the powershift so Ford underrated it greatly. I believe another one dynoed at 148whp and 143wtq with a manual.

I think turbo is a smarter choice any day of the week in my opinion. While the Roush kit is cool and all thats just another drag on the motor at the same time as being an adder.

The ST will hopefully show us power and great gasmileage is possible.

#10 ·
I think the power curve withe the Roush kit will be better for a daily driver then the ST turbo... the only thing my SE Sport is missing is low/midrange power.

Posted via FF Mobile

#13 ·
This. The powerband is at like 3.5/4k and up. A turbo won't help low range, but a supercharger will. Plus, roush is usually better at cornering as well. Numbers are still a little too early to talk about, they haven't even fully designed it yet. There's a thread in the 2012 forum to take a roush survey of what focus owners want if you want to ask for more hp. :)

#18 ·
Bragging rights????? I'm confused. You just said the powerband of a supercharger is the best thing ever but I'm telling you that the right-sized turbo on a 4cyl will destroy any supercharger any day of the week.

#19 ·
who when autocrossing or racing is below 3000 anyways? and Most small turbos like the gt28rs spool at 2000 rpm. The Supercharger isnt compareable in anyway but those no need to argue.

#22 ·
I am not saying that superchargers are better than turbochargers! They are different, with different power curves... i've had multiple turbo cars, i am familiar with their powerbands.

Posted via FF Mobile

#23 ·
You also made a false statement, though. You said a supercharged car "at lower rpms it makes more torque than a comparable turbocharged car." He just posted a dyno showing the opposite. That's what I've been trying to say the whole time.

#32 ·
That is a dyno from a 300+hp Focus RS... doesn't rove my statement false. Compare the torque curve of a 230hp s/c'd 2.0 with that of a 230hp t/c'd 2.0.. and the s/c'd car will have a more linear torqu curve. Personally I wouldn't want more than about 250p in my SE, I don't want to be burning through tires and clutches on a regular basis. My CRX was more fun to drive with 40% moe power than stock than with 200% more power.

Posted via FF Mobile

#27 ·
You're wasting you breath with this argument. Some people just jump on the Turbo bandwagon and never venture off it.

I had a jrsc'd SVT and now drive a turbo'd Subaru. They each have their qualities and there are times that I miss my supercharger for various reasons.

One thing is for sure, and many turbo folks agree, NOTHING sounds as cool as a roots blower.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Just from my experience

Top fuel dragsters are Supercharged, not turbo'ed. Apparently the right setup from a supercharger makes more power sooner, and a more linear powerband.

Thats an entirely different story though, as the superchargers we are using on our little 4bangers are barely good for 8psi, as compared to a mild turbo running 14-15.

So yes, turbos for our cars are the best option, but only because the available range of superchargers for our car (or any compact car that ive ever seen for that matter) were never been designed to produce big numbers.

#40 ·
Just from my experience

Top fuel dragsters are Supercharged, not turbo'ed. Apparently the right setup from a supercharger makes more power sooner, and a more linear powerband.
And what forced induction kits do all the major companies come out with? What's that? Oh, AMS makes a 1000whp turbo kit for the GTR (because if superchargers were superior, they would do a conversion, right?), Heffner makes twin turbo kits for Gallardos, Vipers, Ferraris, etc etc. What STREET cars hold records for 1 mile speed records? All turbo'd, to my knowledge...

#31 ·
Intercooler on a intake manifold blower? hmmmmmmm lol think before you post that.. you cant intercooler the forced air of a jackson racing or powerworks. and Im sorry if your not looking to smoke any car that thinks hes hot shit...

I Am...

#36 ·
Intercooler on a intake manifold blower? hmmmmmmm lol think before you post that
Supercharger output -> Cooler -> Intake? It's possible...

Regardless, coolers on superchargers are generally worthless unless you're pushing professional amounts of psi.

+1 to sleestak. That's why the dual turbo is a popular setup, a small one for low end and a big one for the higher powerband... or you could just supercharge. ;)

They're both good methods of forced induction and provide different results. If the demand for a good supercharger is high enough perhaps Roush will provide.

#34 ·
The problem with the small Turbo is that while it may spool quickly and start delivering power fast, it will peter out at the top end so you have to pick turbos that fit where you want your power. Chargers just keep delivering all the way through the rpm range and that earns them some merit. I've driven some very twitchy Turbo cars that were fun for a bit but in crappy weather I could see it being a pain.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong here. I love my Turbo forester, but I like superchargers as well. You just have to get to know each one and learn where and how to use it, I think.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

#37 ·
Why is it everyone thinks Turbos are only for 400-500-10,000 HP , people think if you have 20psi boost that you drive around all the time with 20psi boost , it isnt th case

Superchargers for anything less then about a 4.0 engine are horrid , there worthless as we have seen with about every SC made for the Focus to date , small SC that you have to turn hard to work on small engine crete super high intake air temps , the pw and the jrsc are the worst , I have seen the intake air temps go over 250+ you would never see that with a intercooled turbo at the PSI that the SC is making

YES 100% of the time a turbo built for the same amount of boost a SC is built for will make more HP a TON more TQ and out perform the SC across the rpm range from 2000-7000
I have built a 10psi turbo kit that full spooled at 2800 and carried through 6000 very nicely then falling off and the IAT was about 18 deg higher then out side are , a SC would never do this

If you feel you need a SC for an application then you can do a Turbo that will do what you need even better , just dont put a 25psi turbo on if you need a max of 8-10 psi

#45 ·
Now all the people should quite down. All Wikipedia power and no experience gets you nowhere when someone like Tom is stateing the facts.

Also nope you sure cant put an intercooler inside an already intercooled liquid cooled blower. ProCharger and vortech were the only superchargers that could be intercooled but they werent a Roots blower they were centerfr

Trust me I tried everyway possible to cool the Powerworks Hot air its not possible.

#42 ·
i like teh simplicity of the sueprcharger. that is it's one true merit. its a simple way of making some more power. i wouldnt mind having a supercharger on a 2012, it'd be different to say the least. besides that if its a daily, that needs to get you to work the next week. a blower can be put on over a nice warm weekend (provided you have all of teh parts, tuning and nothin goes wrong) i dunno how long it would take to do a turbo. it looks lie there is a lot to do with most turbo setups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.