Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Lets see what this heat maker can do-JRSC build

20K views 125 replies 17 participants last post by  disciplerocks 
#1 ·
So I am planning on gathering parts and start building this winter. Been working on a couple things so far.

Current setup:
M45
6.5" crank pulley
2.6" blower pulley
ZX2 cams
COP
SVT airbox
OBX header/catback
FC cam gears
E85

List of plans:
Head milled and mildly ported
Larger valves
Replace the M45 with a mildly ported M62
Smaller sc pulley (offset is different for the GM M62, undecided on size)
Aluminum flywheel and clutch (undecided on clutch)
SVT rods (undecided on pistons)
W/M or N2O (DD, but will rarely see high boost)
Tube arms (built by me)
Traction bars (built by me)

Now this is what I have so far

Brand new aluminum flywheel

SVT rods and pistons with new rings and bearings installed

And an M62 off a 95 Riviera

The blower is getting stripped down and cut up to fit the JRSC throttle body plate. Will be replacing the bearings, coupling, and seals.

Posted via FF Mobile

See less See more
#2 ·
This is being copied from somewhere else so bear with me.
Posted via FF Mobile

#4 ·
Down to the rotor bearings. Can't cut anymore off.

I can save about .5" by keeping the GM pulley because of the offset.

The case is still 1.75" longer than my M45. I need things to match up for the bypass valve you can see here.

I should be able to move the assembly toward the belt the other .25" or so. There is plenty of mounting surface on the manifold.
Posted via FF Mobile

#6 ·
#9 ·
Hell no. That wouldn't be custom. I am planning on replacing the whole diff.

#11 ·
Yes sir. My plan is to have the blower on for FF. Then I'll rebuild it.

#12 ·
I am so close, yet its the little things I need to clearance now. I've had it in and out at least a dozen times.

#13 ·
Have you looked to see what kind of TQ it takes to turn that SC to 7000 and if it is safe to take that SC to 7000 on the SVT , Each SC has a limit or a safe RPM

That looks like the V6 3.8 SC ? does the math RPM come out right to work? Didnt some one years back try this SC ?

Tom

#14 ·
I have no idea. My long term goal is higher compression, less boost, and more efficient boost. I have not done the math to see what pulleys I am going to need for x amount of boost. I don't want any more than 10psi.

#15 ·
supercharger redline is 14000 rpm.

if ur using a 6.5 inch pulley and a 2.6 inch pulley, at focus redline, ur talking 17500 rpm for the blower. i think the bbk for the riviera puts it at 14000 rpm. also, thats a gen 3 blower and efficiency is down on them.

#16 ·
I am wanting to swap to a smaller crank pulley, but like I said I haven't done the math. I think the 3.8s had a 6.9" crank pulley. This one is off a 95 so it has the better M62 and a 2.85" sc pulley. And I realize the Gen3s are less efficient its more efficient than the M45.

#18 ·
SVT stuff? You mean the rods/pistons? I already had them. I am aware of the problem you had with them Jeff and I will be taking that into account if I upgrade pistons. And since I am wanting to increase compression, It will actually help me out.

#19 ·
Yeah was referring to the rods and pistons. Didnt realize you already had them. Yes it will work out in your favor for increased compression. Just dont want anyone to go through the crap i did. Still interested in the outcome of your build.

#20 ·
Well I got her in and hooked up minus the bypass valve. I blocked it off and started it. I had to keep revving it to keep it in boost without the bypass. And it sounded bad. I knew the coupler was bad, but not this bad. Looks like its gonna need a rebuild before attempting to run it and no time before FF.

#22 ·
I am thinking about running a 5.7" OD pulley and keeping the 2.85" sc pulley on there and see where that will put me. I would like to see 10 psi, but not necessarily redline it every time in order to see it.

Yeah I am gonna call it quits on it for now. Since I can't get it running before next weekend, I'll just wait till I have the manifold off to match everything up. That will make things so much easier.

#24 ·
Thats sounds about perfect. I can always order a different one later if its not right.

#26 ·
So I need some input. What kind of clutch should I look for? I want it to be streetable, but handle plenty of power, yet I don't need to spool. So I'm not quite sure what I am looking for.

Been thinking about this one if Karl still has it. Really good price.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261959

Also valves, springs, and pistons. I am debating on keeping the SVT pistons and saving the cash. And valves, I don't really know what to look for especially since I am increasing compression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.