new job=new mods - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2004, 06:52 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
new job=new mods

well, I just picked up a second job, and in addition to being a mechanic at a toyota dealership (ford didn't pay well enough), I'm now also a mechanic at BOWL AMERICA!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!

this means nitrous kit in about 2 months or so. can't wait to get the giggle gas!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2004, 11:02 AM   #2
Capital Obvious

Fan#: 11768
What I Drive: 2008 Redfire Metallic Fusion

FF Reputation: 1 MyBlackST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
glad to hear it.....what kit are you looking at?

ST Crew #3
TEAM DURATEC # 7
Old 09-22-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8620
What I Drive: '04 Grey Met. ZX5 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 hgIncRns Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Re: new job=new mods

Quote:
Originally posted by crazymechanic
[B] a mechanic at a toyota dealership (ford didn't pay well enough)
Just curious.... now that you're a mechanic for Toyota. Are they really better/more reliable cars than our Fords? Is the Toyota quality superior overall? I ask because I heard the Japanese like to sweep things under the rug when it comes to recalls/failures before they leak to the general public. Is this true?

Mods Inside : 35% Tint, Pioneer HU with 4 6x8 Pioneer Spkrs.
Mods Outside : FS CAI, Magnaflow Cat-back, 17x7 ASA Wheels w/ Cont. 45 series tires, Eibach Pro-kit Springs and Dampers. Shorty Ant.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5001
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black ZX5 SVT

Points 285, Level 5
Points: 285, Level: 5 Points: 285, Level: 5 Points: 285, Level: 5
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 moosejuice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Ford does the same with alot of there issues. If a problem is found on a type of vehcile and it isn't determined to be a certain percent or an actual fault it isn't a recall, just a TSB.
My front sturts had to be replaced (They were bent), Ford knows that if the SVTF is drivin hard ie: Autocross the struts bend. Ford replaces them no questions asked as long as you are still covered under the factory warrenty.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

yeah, ford has a lot of Field Service Actions, basically, it's not a recall that goes out to everyone. if a customer happens to come in and complain, then the warranty covers it. perfect example, the focus fuel pump. ford released an extended warranty coverage on the fuel pump. we were told that if a customer came in complaining of certain symptoms, we don't do any diagnosis, we just install a new fuel pump (updated part #) and let it go. but we only do it to the cars that come in with a complaint.

as far as toyota quality - the quality is about the same, it's the methods of maintenance. toyota reccommends an A service every 3-5000 miles (oil change, rotate, BG MOA oil additive, and BG 3000mi fuel additive). B service every 15k miles (oil change, rotate, MOA, 3000mi, clean/adjust brakes, air filter, trans fluid drain and fill). C service every 30k (all of the above, plus cooling system service, power steering system service, engine oil system flush, etc.). you get the idea. toyota simply goes crazy on the maintenance, and that keeps the car working right. ford isn't as aggressive in their maintenance program, as a result, their product doesn't last as long. also - a larger percentage of ford buyers tend to rag out their car than toyota buyers - and that really affects the life of the vehicle.

I know a lot of people complain about the problems that the focus has, all the recalls etc. having worked on a few hundred focuses, I can tell you, they're probably the most reliable car ford has on the market right now. most of them have very few problems at all, and then every once in a blue moon, you'll get one that has every problem known to man, but those are few and far between. I can see them being every bit as reliable as a toyota as long as you TAKE PROPER CARE OF YOUR VEHICLE.

that's what it boils down to

I do respect ford a bit more though. toyota does tend to "sweep things under the carpet" like ford does with the focus fuel pump problem. however, ford issues more recalls than those field service actions because they'd rather tell the customer "bring in your car that's not giving you any trouble whenever it's convenient, and we'll make sure that this problem doesn't come up on you in the middle of your family vacation". I respect that. even though you're not necessarily having the problem, they'll perform the repair to make sure that if it were to come up on your vehicle, you wouldn't be inconvenienced by it. they'll eliminate the problem before it inconveniences you.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

oh, not sure which kit I'm gonna get, I'm looking at NOS and NX, but I want a lot of feedback from people who have them before I get the kit
Old 09-22-2004, 03:31 PM   #7
AKA Toyotech

Fan#: 9
What I Drive: A few

FF Reputation: 1 Kicknzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
hey wow, another toyo tech, i don't feel so out of place now :)

unusual how your service plans r different then ours...

and about reliability i rarely see a camry make it passed 40k without replacing the tank bypass vsv, iac, or a/f sensor on the 5s-fe's...if not all three...toyota doesn't have recalls rarely, they have "campeigns" ..lol, cept unless quite serious like camry has its airbag recall, highlander has its child safety lock recall... i truthfully see ford's as being much more reliable, but as for lasting as long as a toyota...that i don't see. :P
1991 Ford Mustang LX/5.0
Old 09-22-2004, 07:49 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
crazymechanic: i've heard great reviews about venom.
I want their setup with the 12oz nitrous tank.

small and discrete enough to hide under a seat.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:12 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

I'm not too worried about hiding the bottle, I can just put it in a bag, and bolt it to the floor in the back seat, cover the holes with a floormat when I don't have the bottle with me. I'm trying to hide the lines going to the manifold, so I don't want any of those huge nozzles sticking up, I want to try to plumb the lines underneath the manifold, hide the solenoids up under the cowl panels, and then any lines that are visible I'll cover with cable jacket and electrical tape. a 12 oz tank wouldn't be practical because I'd have to refill it after every run.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:11 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5452
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3TUNR Good Standing Member
nice man... do it up for sure!!!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.