Turbo or Supercharger - Please Help! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10514
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jtrick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Turbo or Supercharger - Please Help!

This is my first post and I need help making a decision. I have read several posts concerning this same question but I wanted some help with my specific application. Here's what I have and What I'm Looking for:

I have a 2003 Svt with the following aftermarket parts:

Steeda CAI
MBRP 2.5" Cat-back Exhaust
FocusSport Underdrive Pulley
9mm Ford Racing Spark Plugs

The rest of the mods I dont think are important for this.

What I'm looking to know is what should I consider going with. This car is still new to me so I am clueless on what to expect from a turbo and what to expect with a SC.
I also want to know what I will need to upgrade if anything.

I want to have more torque off the line because I know with my car, you don't feel the pull until about 4500 RPM.

I'll have a wallet of around $4000 to spend on this too. If there is anything you guys could do to help me it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Turbo or Supercharger - Please Help!-c6_12_s.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2004, 12:25 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
If you can only spend 4000, supercharger and nothing else. I would prefer a Turbo though. You can generally obtain more power from a Turbo and really push power. However, you want more low end power and a turbo generally won't give you any UNF until about 2.5-3.5k RPM depending on the size and setup. Turbo on an SVT would probably run 5-6k to get one that is safe for the car. Just another note, if you go Supercharged, you'll need to take that focussport UDP off and replace it with stock. No sense in underdriving your main power adder.

My ZX5 Focus!
Old 09-15-2004, 12:30 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by CowsGoMoo
If you can only spend 4000, supercharger and nothing else.
Do you know of any kits I should consider that will give me the most "bang for the buck"?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:52 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9731
What I Drive: 2003 Piranha (OS2i4)

FF Reputation: 1 OSSO002 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Jackson Racing Super Charger
Vortech
Tom's Stage 1 SVT turbo kit
Old 09-15-2004, 01:55 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
Jackson racing can be had for like 2200 through group buys I believe. Retail is about 3000. Vortech is priced around 3500 I think, i honestly don't know. Tom's is by far the best, but pricey.

My ZX5 Focus!
Old 09-15-2004, 10:22 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1159
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 JRSCSVT Good Standing Member
Tom has a stage one coming out for just under 3K...focus-power.com. With the stage 1 kit on a regular zetec he made around 200 hp and 200 pound feet (just slightly less than that). So, for you this is going to be the only way to fly. Contact tom through that site I listed.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
People who ordered the SG1 kit 2 months ago still haven't receive their turbo.
Tom is waiting for parts.

If you order one, be very patient because it's not going to get there overnight.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:42 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
whatever you do spend a good amount of time and money tuning the car, without tuning, going either SC or turbo would mean nothing, i remember reading some proper tuning with a SC can product some pretty nice numbers....TUNE!!! but basically with your budget tuning would eat a small chunk of the money so maybe the jsrc (its cheaper) would be a good route...unless you can find a vortech for arund the 2500 range. I would definitely try to save up some more and get turbo just because im a fiend for torque numbers not just hp.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2578
What I Drive: one slow focus...for now

FF Reputation: 1 frogg5872 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
What i would do is.......buy the non aftercooled vortech for now and then when you get the money get the aftercooler and get tuning.....Slickshoes has a 290 whp SVT! The tuning does wonders for the vortech. That is what i would do tho.......Search and you will find his dyno.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys, vortech sounds decent, its a possibility I might be able to get a kit at cost and as far as installation goes, that won't cost me anything either. I'll just have to find somewhere that can tune it and dyno it. Thanks for the help guys and if you have any other suggestions, plz throw them at me.
#1239 of 2173
Born: 5/23/2003

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.