Setting up for FI - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Setting up for FI

OK I have a list of mods that im going to do for my car and eventually i want to go FI, but i want to make it a one shot deal where i dont need to take parts out cause they wont work with a FI setup and swap it for something else. So i'd like to get parts thatd work right the first time around. I need advice/info on what will work and what wont work well with FI setup.

UDP (installed)
9mm Plug Wires (installed)
ported 65mm TB (installed)
Voalnt Intake - i know this wont work but ill list it anyways (in mail)
2.5" SVT Borla Exhaust (next purchase)

(future purchases in a month or two)
SVT Headers
FC Intake Manifold, im considering going with a Early 2000 one, what you guys think?
70mm TB (with intake manifold)
FC Cam Gears
SCT chip after all these are done

want to get some crower cams but not sure which stage to go with, suggestions? Im thinking the stage 2 with lift of 393? will also get springs and retainers when i get the cams

also which flywheel and clutch setup should i go with, i need a new clutch now (its pretty worn) so i may just go with OEM for now until i get everything setup.

and sometime in mid 05 or late 05 i'll go to turbo-tom for a turbo setup, deciding either starter or full, i'll let my money decide when the time comes

suggestions/comments? I've been debating it for a while but i think i finally will go with FI, can't pass up with FI power, it'll just take me some time to work up the money and go ahead with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Which style of FI you persue - turbo or super - will dictate which parts would need to be pulled out.

If you go supercharger, you will need to get rid of the UDP, possibly the throttlebody if it doesn't retain the stock holes for the bolts, and the manifold if you don't go with one based on a stock design. The most popular supercharger, the JRSC, needs the stock connections. The SCT chip will probably have to go as well as the JRSC will come with its own and you don't want to combine FI with an SCT-style chip that pushes your spark timing to the limit of knock.

As for a turbo setup, you will have to get rid of the chip as well. Any good turbo kit is going to supply you with a new exhaust manifold, so any existing one on the vehicle will have to go.

As for cams, just make sure you ask the maker if they recommend using them on an FI setup. Some that aren't designed for that application can cause some trouble.

Go turbo... parasitic loses are less, and your gains will be even greater at the wheel by keeping the UDP. A ~10% increase in low-end torque is a 10% gain NA or FI... is it just 10% of 110 or 180?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:57 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally posted by zslaton
Which style of FI you persue - turbo or super - will dictate which parts would need to be pulled out.

If you go supercharger, you will need to get rid of the UDP, possibly the throttlebody if it doesn't retain the stock holes for the bolts, and the manifold if you don't go with one based on a stock design. The most popular supercharger, the JRSC, needs the stock connections. The SCT chip will probably have to go as well as the JRSC will come with its own and you don't want to combine FI with an SCT-style chip that pushes your spark timing to the limit of knock.

As for a turbo setup, you will have to get rid of the chip as well. Any good turbo kit is going to supply you with a new exhaust manifold, so any existing one on the vehicle will have to go.

As for cams, just make sure you ask the maker if they recommend using them on an FI setup. Some that aren't designed for that application can cause some trouble.

Go turbo... parasitic loses are less, and your gains will be even greater at the wheel by keeping the UDP. A ~10% increase in low-end torque is a 10% gain NA or FI... is it just 10% of 110 or 180?
well i plan on going with turbo toms setup...i dont see that he supplies a exhaust manifold in his package tho http://www.focus-power.com/view.php?showme=Zetec_Kit

damn, well i guess i'll just have to sell the sct when the time comes since i'll be driving on that setup for at least half a year and would prefer some tuning on it.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.