84 300zx T-3 TurboCharger... any good for the fSVT? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31881
What I Drive: 03 fSVT zx3

FF Reputation: 5 itbparada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
84 300zx T-3 TurboCharger... any good for the fSVT?

So much stuff in my garage... this is the turbo I took off for my crazy t4 turbo build on my turbo 84 300zx AE w 45k miles. The specs are:

.60 comp trim
.63 turbine trim
Compressor Diameter 51.4 mm
Turbine Diameter 53 mm

I layed down right over 320whp with this turbo on my Z.. this is more than enough to hit 300whp with my SVT, right? This thing is mint with NO shaftplay and is so clean. I would love to not spend $600 on a turbo just to hit 300whp-325whp with my fSVT with all this turbo stuff laying around... look what ive pulled out of my garage trying to find all the stuff I have to work with (bar&plate intercooler not pictured)-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72073
What I Drive: 2004 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 4 forcedfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It still amazes me how many people think they can take some old POS turbo and slap-er-on.

you have an intercooler a box of pipes and a turbo I wouldn't even put on my lawnmower. Don't waste your time or money.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

Points 14,826, Level 78
Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Ouch, burn! But if it won't work sell it and buy a new one with the money.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72073
What I Drive: 2004 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 4 forcedfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I wansn't trying to be rude but it is the reality. I promise you would be money ahead to buy the right turbo in the first place rather than spending the money to make that one work.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

Points 14,826, Level 78
Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
What are some good turbo brands out there? And price range for them if you know off hand?
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfocus View Post
It still amazes me how many people think they can take some old POS turbo and slap-er-on.

you have an intercooler a box of pipes and a turbo I wouldn't even put on my lawnmower. Don't waste your time or money.
Its not a POS turbo, its in perfect condition with no shaft play t3 off a beautiful 300zx (320+whp on this turbo) I sold a while back. I have the intercooler from my prior Procharger setup off my Fsvt & the intercooler pipes are thick wall aluminum I will be tig welding.

To me it is a good start for digging through my garage and pulling out parts from my past 12 second cars and figuring out a parts list.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfocus View Post
I wansn't trying to be rude but it is the reality. I promise you would be money ahead to buy the right turbo in the first place rather than spending the money to make that one work.
I understand where you are comming from but I was asking if this turbo was the right size for my moderate power goals. It is a t3 60 series turbo so spending money on fitment will not be an issue as you state.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzx3 View Post
What are some good turbo brands out there? And price range for them if you know off hand?
If your out shopping for a turbo I would stick with Turbonetics turbos.. they have amazing reviews and have EXCELLENT build quality. You could spend from 600-2000+ depending on what size/stage/bearing combo
Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: STi & Miata

Points 21,468, Level 92
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 55 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
id rock it. as long as you are confident that you can build the kit your self there is nothing wrong with buying a pipping kit like that. one thing i do see is that you have iwg turbo and a ewg in the pic...

turboturtlegarage.com
facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
id rock it. as long as you are confident that you can build the kit your self there is nothing wrong with buying a pipping kit like that. one thing i do see is that you have iwg turbo and a ewg in the pic...

Ill be pulling the IWG off & welding the flap shut and running a EWG on the manifold (done it on a couple cars when converting to external). Im looking at a SPA log manifold or the OBX tubular manifold... I see the OBX doesnt have a spot for a wastegate but thats an easy fix with a stainless jbend and a tig welder. Im just getting started.

Ive owned ALOT of cars.. swapped 97lt4 OBDII + 6speed into my auto OBDI 94formula after doing a 383 stroker kit & isky cams/roller rockers, put my XR4Ti into the 13's w/ a super60 stage 1 and custom megasquirt injection, broke 400whp with my 84 300zx Turbo w/ vg33e block, jim wolf tech cams, SDS Stand Alone & t4/70mm....

I bought this fSVT new and have loved every minute of it. Always trying something new from a vortec non HO kit, to a procharger w/ FMIC a 2.5" pulley + 5.7 ODP and now my JRSC BBK + ODP + WMI...

Done with superchargers for now, finally going turbo. Just finished the P&P job on the head, +1mm Ferra Valves, new buckets & lash set, cometic .070 headgasket, ARP studs & working all the little things out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.