Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Zetec Turbo Build: 230-250whp, then 330+whp

175K views 657 replies 57 participants last post by  starfuryt550 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I would finally post my plans as this is getting much closer to being all put together after a long time collecting parts:

* My goals are 300-330whp once I put in the new engine I am building.
* Current goals on the stock engine are 230-250whp.

I suppose I will start with a parts list, let me know if I am missing anything:

Vehicle:
- 2002 ZX3, manual tranny, 88k on clock.

INITIAL (on stock block):
- Turbonetics T3 super 60 .43 AR turbo, ceramic exhaust coating, polished.
- Turbonetics EVO wastegate (multiple psi springs)
- Custom manifold by TurboFab
- Custom DP and WG dump by Top Speed
- SVT 2.5" trubendz exhaust conversion
- Zetec 2.5" trubendz flex pipe
- 50lb injectors
- 2000 Intake manifold, ported
- Focus Central 70mm throttle body
- 180* thermostat w/new housing
- Lakewood traction bars --> might switch to TopSpeed's new design once out
- FS lower stress bar --> Will have to come off as the dp will not clear with it on
- CFM billet aluminum tensioner
- Massive 3 piece UDP
- Gates racing timing belt and acc belts
- Focus Power piping and intercooler
- Greddy type-S BOV
- Innovate wideband AF gauge
- AEM TruBoost turbo controller gauge
- Autometer digital oil pressure gauge
- STR high flow fuel rail
- EGR blockoff plate
- CFM breather plate
- SCT flash tuner
- TopSpeed battery tray/catchcan, slim battery, new terminals
- New much better conduction 1666 strand power cables, new grounds.
- stage3 coolant tank
- stage3 power steering tank
- JayRacing aluminum coolant junction
- New silicone vacuum hoses
- New billet aluminum vacuum junction
- ARP head studs
- New silicone coolant hoses

12/25/2010
* I am switching all of the cooling system including hoses to -an hoses from 16 for the largest, 12 for mid size, and -6/-8 for smaller lines. Dominic is going to make a me a new -16an billet flange and fitting to attach to the stock thermostat housing as well as fab up an aluminum radiator w/-an fittings and side tanks.

* I am converting the entire power steering system from the retarded rubber and hard lines passing over the header to complete -6an lines with a fluidyne cooler to replace the makeshift crappy stock cooler. (Check posts on pgs 2-3+ for info on this and progress. It will soon be made as soon as the snow stops and I can go outside and take some measurements).

POST BUILT ENGINE:
- 2000 zetec block
- 9.0:1 Probe pistons
- Eagle Rods
- Stock bearings
- New svt oil pump
- new svt water pump
- Centerforce billet 9lb flywheel
- Torsen T2 LSD
- APR flywheel bolts
- ARP main bolts

* I may be missing things I have but I will try and remember...

* All of the above I have already bought and have installed some parts.

My questions are:
1) I need a clutch at some point, im sure it won't last long. I need some recommendations. I dont have a ton of money for this so an Exedy hyper-single for $1,100 isnt good lol.

2) I was going to have Terry Haynes from HMS install my LSD...he recommends getting the tower keyed, recommendations?

2.1) I was also thinking new shift forks in the tranny if i do a complete overhaul?

2.2) I wanted to lower my final drive gear to one from a duratec or zetec to a 3.41 (if i remember the num correctly) with pzev. Reason being to ease the power off the line for better traction.

3) I know my T3 super 60 is good for 325-330 if i remember correctly. What would be a good replacement after I want more power?

I'm gonna have more questions, but I will appreciate thoughts, comments, suggestions, criticisms!

See less See more
#191 ·
Exactly, and I completely appreciate it!

I got to see a friend's friend's cars yesterday...a 12sec WRX and an 11sec 2nd gen awd eclipse. Both super clean and looked very very nice. I'll try and snag some pics because his cars looked great and are very fast!

#197 ·
Picked up a stock coil pack thank to the very generous friend and member on here!

Will prolly sell the MSD or something.

What would one recommend for wires for stock coils? I used to have some 7 or 8mm steeda ones at some point years ago that worked great...

#204 ·
haha, alright.

I wish I could do that with Hawk pads lol

ANYWAYS, as it stands, I need the following to finish the car:
1) Tune from TopSpeed (owe them like $100-150 more for it, need to call and find exact amount)
2) New intake charge pipe connecting to TopSpeed IM
3) 75 or 80mm 5.0 Mustang throttle body
4) Assemble all calipers. Install all brakes + Bleed and add brake fluid.
5) Buy new radiator + fan
5) Pay for and install chromoly upper radiator support from Dom he's making me
6) Install new -an water pump + all -an cooling lines plus two new fittings I'll need
7) Buy 2 to 4 90* -16 an fittings [:(]
8) Install AEM TruBoost gauge
9) Install vacuum lines (Anyone have a write-up on how they should go or anything?)

I think that about covers it...still a decent amount to do I suppose.

#205 ·
Why do anyother throttle body then stock? i gotta have cruise control

#209 ·
So just a little update on what is gonna happen with this...

Spoke with TopSpeed this week and they are making me:
- lower radiator support
- upper radiator support
- racing radiator, modified for -an lines
- aluminum thermostat housing with all -an line connections
- new intake charge pipe to use the TopSpeed manifold I have

I then just need a 70mm 5.0 mustang TB and to their remote tune.

Things are getting close!

#215 ·
Not necessarily trying to bash him, but CaysE, who is his FRIEND, could not reach him for I think a month straight. Then he came back, out of the blue...that's not reliable. He was updating Facebook with stuff, too, so he was able to be contacted.

#217 ·
First hand experience? Ok, so CaysE was lying, you're right. And there's a thread on [fj] about guys not being able to contact him.

#219 ·
It's not a thread dedicated to that topic, but in someone's build thread, they were saying they couldn't get a hold of him and CaysE popped in as well.

#221 ·
i can put my hands in fire for what bmylez is saying, dominic just got lost and completely ignored messages, he wouldnt even reply a "you know what.. im on vacation or im taking a time off, or im very busy" nothing at all some say he was reponding to their messages so.. i know what bmylez is saying, i looked for him 2 months and still no info about him, gave up and moved to something else

#224 ·
To all the above posts:

I really like Dominic and the parts he makes. Absolute excellent fittment and quality that can rarely be matched.

The reason I'm having topspeed do the last of my parts instead is because I've been trying for months to put this together with Dom and I'd like to at least have everything completely assembled by the end of august so I can tune the car and enjoy it a bit before winter sets.

Now, Dom hasn't ripped me or anyone off that I know. I will gladly do business with him at any point in the future. I just need this stuff done and can't wait around another 4 months to get it complete.

That being said, it's been over a month since he has replied to my last message. I know he is a busy guy like most people know, and that's solely the reason I kept waiting so long for things to get done.

I still have the intention of getting his front and rear lower control arms, rear toe arms and front endlinks this year, as well as his camber arms most likely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.