Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Zetec Turbo Build: 230-250whp, then 330+whp

175K views 657 replies 57 participants last post by  starfuryt550 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I would finally post my plans as this is getting much closer to being all put together after a long time collecting parts:

* My goals are 300-330whp once I put in the new engine I am building.
* Current goals on the stock engine are 230-250whp.

I suppose I will start with a parts list, let me know if I am missing anything:

Vehicle:
- 2002 ZX3, manual tranny, 88k on clock.

INITIAL (on stock block):
- Turbonetics T3 super 60 .43 AR turbo, ceramic exhaust coating, polished.
- Turbonetics EVO wastegate (multiple psi springs)
- Custom manifold by TurboFab
- Custom DP and WG dump by Top Speed
- SVT 2.5" trubendz exhaust conversion
- Zetec 2.5" trubendz flex pipe
- 50lb injectors
- 2000 Intake manifold, ported
- Focus Central 70mm throttle body
- 180* thermostat w/new housing
- Lakewood traction bars --> might switch to TopSpeed's new design once out
- FS lower stress bar --> Will have to come off as the dp will not clear with it on
- CFM billet aluminum tensioner
- Massive 3 piece UDP
- Gates racing timing belt and acc belts
- Focus Power piping and intercooler
- Greddy type-S BOV
- Innovate wideband AF gauge
- AEM TruBoost turbo controller gauge
- Autometer digital oil pressure gauge
- STR high flow fuel rail
- EGR blockoff plate
- CFM breather plate
- SCT flash tuner
- TopSpeed battery tray/catchcan, slim battery, new terminals
- New much better conduction 1666 strand power cables, new grounds.
- stage3 coolant tank
- stage3 power steering tank
- JayRacing aluminum coolant junction
- New silicone vacuum hoses
- New billet aluminum vacuum junction
- ARP head studs
- New silicone coolant hoses

12/25/2010
* I am switching all of the cooling system including hoses to -an hoses from 16 for the largest, 12 for mid size, and -6/-8 for smaller lines. Dominic is going to make a me a new -16an billet flange and fitting to attach to the stock thermostat housing as well as fab up an aluminum radiator w/-an fittings and side tanks.

* I am converting the entire power steering system from the retarded rubber and hard lines passing over the header to complete -6an lines with a fluidyne cooler to replace the makeshift crappy stock cooler. (Check posts on pgs 2-3+ for info on this and progress. It will soon be made as soon as the snow stops and I can go outside and take some measurements).

POST BUILT ENGINE:
- 2000 zetec block
- 9.0:1 Probe pistons
- Eagle Rods
- Stock bearings
- New svt oil pump
- new svt water pump
- Centerforce billet 9lb flywheel
- Torsen T2 LSD
- APR flywheel bolts
- ARP main bolts

* I may be missing things I have but I will try and remember...

* All of the above I have already bought and have installed some parts.

My questions are:
1) I need a clutch at some point, im sure it won't last long. I need some recommendations. I dont have a ton of money for this so an Exedy hyper-single for $1,100 isnt good lol.

2) I was going to have Terry Haynes from HMS install my LSD...he recommends getting the tower keyed, recommendations?

2.1) I was also thinking new shift forks in the tranny if i do a complete overhaul?

2.2) I wanted to lower my final drive gear to one from a duratec or zetec to a 3.41 (if i remember the num correctly) with pzev. Reason being to ease the power off the line for better traction.

3) I know my T3 super 60 is good for 325-330 if i remember correctly. What would be a good replacement after I want more power?

I'm gonna have more questions, but I will appreciate thoughts, comments, suggestions, criticisms!

See less See more
#585 ·
Where the hell would that be at?

Couldn't I just remove the entire alarm system if it came down to it? I didn't install it...so I'd need some help if that is the case.

I can't tune it if i can't turn the alarm off or start it lol.

#588 ·
I have manual doors and windows, but I do have the harnesses for the doors and the window tracks to install at some point to convert to power.

If i connect the negative battery terminal, the alarm just goes off and the unlock button doesnt shut it off like it should. hm.

ya id almost recommend getting rid of it somehow
Damn it...lol.

#596 ·
- I have the lines made for all the cooling system, minus 1 cuz I ran out of line, bah.
- I have all of the needed fittings in to complete it all.
- Working on bracket mount for oil cooler, then the coolant lines. I miiiight be short on the line so I might just buy another 6 ft just in case.
- Almost done with the remote IAC plate, so that'll be good.
- Gotta extend the factory harness for the injectors - some wires too short. Prolly do that tonight. I extended another harness I picked up but the plugs were different. FAIL.

It's getting tough to work on the car. I gotta see if he will let me work on the weekends on it, or I'll have to take the car elsewhere :(

#598 ·
Yeah...it was not a problem working on it or getting time to do so...but now that my 2 days off each week are spent at school, either I'll have to make it a 7am drive to there for work on it a few hours before classes, or ask if I can work on it on Saturdays and/or Sundays. I can't take it to my apartment because my parents are afraid the new management will give us shit about me working on it. efffff.

I'll figure something out, I guess.
If it comes down to 3 hours of work on it once or twice a week and that is all, so be it. It'll just take a bit longer than expected.

#600 ·
On a positive note!

I am gonna work on it for a few weeks at the shop if possible before classes, see how that goes. My friend is going to lend me a spot in his garage until it's done! I just have to wait until he relocates his boat to his parents cottage, awesomeeeeeeeeee!

#606 ·
I work full time, I go to school between half time and full time, I'm applying to Med school and PA school, I'm studying to retake my MCAT and take the GRE also, I am doing LED and carbon conversions, I play on 3 soccer teams, I work out 5x a week.

Yes, I am pretty damn busy lol...and trying to keep a social life and family too. It makes shit hard, esp when you don't have a garage and live in an apartment.

#612 · (Edited)
Thought I would post pics of my new DD here.

Info:
2001.5 Audi S4, facelift model. Santorum blue.
2.7L bi-turbo Borg Warner K03's.
6-speed manual.
AWD quattro.

Mods so far + pending:
- Depo tinted side markers
- LaminX front tint for headlight film
- LaminX front optic blue fog light film
- Chrome gauge rings
- RS4 front grille
- New style S4 front emblem
- New style rear S4 black and red emblem
- New passenger and rearview mirror glass
- Added felt in coin tray
- New Stabilus hood strut
- New coolant tank feed hose
- PENDING THIS WEEKEND and MONDAY:
...TBB 034 Motorsports silicone hose
...Miltek downpipes + hi flo cats
...APR stage 2 tune
...New Bose rear speaker

#615 · (Edited)
Thanks Al for your help and use of your lift:

Swapped downpipes for Miltek high flow downpipes and cats:

3 of the 4 bolts for the heatshields over the stock downpipes stripped immediately upon trying to remove them. Worst. Thing. Ever. Also, two of the bolts for the passenger axle or transaxle boot also stripped. Ended up breaking that off in pieces as well.

I used a friends lift and garage to do this. Swap. It helped tremendously. We spend about 85% of the time with the heat shield removal. The stripped bolts, especially the one on the drivers side closest to the wheel, which you have NO room to cut it off or anything. Reinstallation was a cinch without the shields.

Stockers:

Miltek vs destroyed heatshield:

Miltek on the car. Don't mind the wire and crap lol. Car is at the exhaust shop right now getting that fixed.

No heatshield put back on.

Bastard bolts. These were a pain but EASY with the heat shields off. I spend many, Many hours just taking the shields off:

Since all the stuff was off the car, I check both K03 turbines for shaft play and they're perfect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.