Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How does my oil return setup look?

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  forcedfocus 
#1 ·
For some that remember I made a post asking about my oil return setup and if that may be the reason why my car was smoking a little bit.

So I took the advice and I changed all my fittings to 1/2 NPT to 5/8 barb 5/8 hose.

Thought I would take a pictures to see what you all thought? more advice welcomed!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks alright, but I would actually shorten the hose a little to take that bend out of it. I doubt oil will pool there, but making the hose a tad bit straighter would be best.

#7 ·
Well after solving one problem I still have my existing problem. I'm still burning oil pretty badly... so bad that it's leaving an oily residue on the end of my exhaust tip :/ Looks like I'll be tearing into the engine soon. uggh.

I'm gonna do a compression test, if that pans out my next step is to take the head off and start checking in there. Any thoughts?

thanks.

#8 ·
Have you checked to see if there is any oil in your compressor or intake pipes? I would rule out the turbo before yanking your head off, which isn't the quickest job.

#10 ·
I'll check all that I can before I go and rip the head off... I thought about the seals could be leaking again, but I would seriously be pissed if they were because the fresh turbo has less then 50 miles on it. But we all know sometimes [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] can just happen.

Sucky thing is I wont have time at all to work on my car... My work has other plans for me.. garr.

I'll post an update whenever I do find something.

#16 ·
The big funky blue hose is what my local performance shop gave me as an oil resistant return line hose... lol I didn't care for the color but it's under the car so who cares.

My first step is to check my turbo (easiest), compression check, then I'll start pulling the turbo and manifold off to see what my exhaust ports look like.

To be honest I hope it's the turbo... It will make my life easier and I'll spend just as much money replacing it as I would rebuilding my head of even worse rebuilding the whole engine.

#17 ·
Well I took my plugs out to prepare for the compression test (I don't have a tester yet so no story on that) and I wanted to see what the plugs looked like. They're all clean as a whistle, they're all tanish in color.

I took the air filter off the turbo to take a gander at my shaft/turbine. When I put the turbo on the car the shaft had little to no play. Now I can't move the turbine up and down but I can move it side to side. How much movement can I expect? The shaft does move quit a bit more now then before I put it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.