Build for 350-400 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
'Merica

Fan#: 47077
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT (gone), 2012 SEL

Points 8,576, Level 62
Points: 8,576, Level: 62 Points: 8,576, Level: 62 Points: 8,576, Level: 62
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 mikealicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Build for 350-400

So due to compression being low in cyl 1, I decided to pick up a motor to build for boost. The most I would want for this car would be 400. The car will realistically be around 320-350. So those of you that actually have experience with this, what kinda parts did you use?

The supertech pistons with eagle rods looked to be a pretty good combination without breaking the bank too much. Figured I'd do clevite bearings as well.

as for the block I got, I was going to have it decked until it was flat, and maybe a slight hone. like a 20 over or something. any other recommendations for that?

and as far as the head, I'm not sure what to do. Not really any kind of aftermarket cams for the svtf, unless I was to do a custom grind. The motor's timing belt snapped, bending two valves. It had 95k on the motor, so not sure If I should replace all of the valves with factory or upgrade. Then again, no real point to upgrade anything in the valvetrain (springs, retainers, valves) if I'm keeping the stock cams in there. Also, not sure if I'd see any gains revving much higher than the factory rev limit on the size turbo I currently have. Not really looking to port the head either. Trying to keep this somewhat of a budget build.

so,

1. what piston/rod combo do you recommend?
2. any recommendations for machine work?
3. what should be replaced on the head/valvetrain? keep it factory or go aftermarket?
4. any other tips?

I want to have a nice broad powerband. I don't really care about straight line racing. I'm going to be doing a lot of road racing.

any links to any parts would be very helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
From what I've gathered, everyone agrees that Supertech/Eagle is a very very solid combo that can support more power than you would ever want.

No need to bore more than .007" if you ask me. .020" is just taking away cylinder material needlessly. Sure, it will give you some displacement, but many people stick with .007".

Stock SVT head works plenty well. If you wanted just a little machine work, you could have the exhaust side ported. The intake valves on the SVT are larger, but the exhaust ports are the same size as Zetec. Other than that, stock springs/retainers/cams are all up to the task. John never revs higher than 7000 and his car is damn fast.

What turbo do you have?
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
'Merica

Points 8,576, Level 62
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
well, what I'll prob end up doing, is once I get the pistons, take em down to the machine shop to have them measured exactly and have the block bored to those specs. cuz if the bore is too big, wont that cause excessive blow by?

as far as porting the head, not sure if I'll do that. Idno how comfortable I am to have some machine shop port a focus head. IF I did it, and thats a big if, I'd have someone that knows about focus heads, and has done it before, to take a little material off. And at that point, I'd probably do something with the cams. But then thats starting a whole new adventure. So we'll see.

and I've got the Comp turbo. Tom guarantees it'll hit 300-320, and says it'll max out @ maybe 350. not sure if I'll be sticking with that one for a long time once I do this build.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
A Focus head is no more special than a Civic head. If a shop knows how to port, they can port your head.

Comp Turbo, psssh. Stop dickin' around, get a *real* man's turbo, and go with the gt3071.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs
Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46470
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT Focus

Points 3,319, Level 35
Points: 3,319, Level: 35 Points: 3,319, Level: 35 Points: 3,319, Level: 35
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Earls32 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealicious View Post
So due to compression being low in cyl 1, I decided to pick up a motor to build for boost. The most I would want for this car would be 400. The car will realistically be around 320-350. So those of you that actually have experience with this, what kinda parts did you use?

The supertech pistons with eagle rods looked to be a pretty good combination without breaking the bank too much. Figured I'd do clevite bearings as well.

as for the block I got, I was going to have it decked until it was flat, and maybe a slight hone. like a 20 over or something. any other recommendations for that?

and as far as the head, I'm not sure what to do. Not really any kind of aftermarket cams for the svtf, unless I was to do a custom grind. The motor's timing belt snapped, bending two valves. It had 95k on the motor, so not sure If I should replace all of the valves with factory or upgrade. Then again, no real point to upgrade anything in the valvetrain (springs, retainers, valves) if I'm keeping the stock cams in there. Also, not sure if I'd see any gains revving much higher than the factory rev limit on the size turbo I currently have. Not really looking to port the head either. Trying to keep this somewhat of a budget build.

so,

1. what piston/rod combo do you recommend?
2. any recommendations for machine work?
3. what should be replaced on the head/valvetrain? keep it factory or go aftermarket?
4. any other tips?

I want to have a nice broad powerband. I don't really care about straight line racing. I'm going to be doing a lot of road racing.

any links to any parts would be very helpful.
Its the same set up that I have bored .007 over same bearings stock head and Im running 20 psi boost trust me its fast enough and I got The Comp turbo from Tom thats a really good set up you will like it if you stick with that turbo
Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
'Merica

Points 8,576, Level 62
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earls32 View Post
Its the same set up that I have bored .007 over same bearings stock head and Im running 20 psi boost trust me its fast enough and I got The Comp turbo from Tom thats a really good set up you will like it if you stick with that turbo
what kinda power you putting out? and theres different model comp turbos. not sure if you and I got the same one.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,319, Level 35
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Never been on the dyno all remoted tuned same comp turbo Tom sells with his Kit so its probally the same one But if I had to guess I am around 340whp
Old 06-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
'Merica

Points 8,576, Level 62
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
oh wow. thats sick. and you're on the supertech pistons/eagle rods? how much boost? you running a return line for your fuel? or factory pump w/b-a-p?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,319, Level 35
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealicious View Post
oh wow. thats sick. and you're on the supertech pistons/eagle rods? how much boost? you running a return line for your fuel? or factory pump w/b-a-p?
Yep supertech pistons/egal rods clevite bearings no return for fuel and bap is only 3/4 turned up its a beast its Not anything like Johns 03orangesvt he has got some tricks up his sleve lol. But it screams

Last edited by Earls32; 06-08-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20575
What I Drive: 2005 Charcoal Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 RickB Good Standing Member
large frame turbos and 350-400whp on a focus that will see road course duty will be a handful and a half, i only make 300-330 on a 17x9/255 tire up front and its still a handful

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.