HOW TO: remove and rebuild your JRSC - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

Points 5,735, Level 48
Points: 5,735, Level: 48 Points: 5,735, Level: 48 Points: 5,735, Level: 48
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 39 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
HOW TO: remove and rebuild your JRSC

My Jackson racing supercharger on my SVT started to make a horrible noise. It kinda sounded like gravel in the engine. Research online (mainly Pontiac GTP forums) led me to believe that the coupler in the snout was worn out. Also, I learned that if the snout oil seal was leaking oil (it was) that maybe my bearings were dieing too. I ordered up a snout rebuilt kit from http://www.rollingperformance.com/snoutkits.htm

For our SC we need the #STDSNOUTKIT03-V kit (75$). I went with the viton oil seal because they last longer.
I also ordered the coupler #SCCOUPLER for $29.95.

The kit contains both snout bearings, oil seal, gasket, and oil.

If you get it shipped to Canada, see if he will send it in a USPS flat rate box, so you don’t get hit with brokerage at the border like I did.

Tools needed:
Socket set with extensions
Wrench set
Screwdrivers/ pliers/ etc/ (general tools)
Hydraulic press
Gear puller (optional)
Jack/ jackstands

And this is my rebuild. (a.k.a. blower removal instructions for replacing alternator, or for changing the SC oil)

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Unbolt coolant tank – 10mm socket w/ extension and a small clip. Fold out of way.
3. Remove your strut bar if you have one.
4. Remove accessory belt – 15mm wrench on the tensioner belt. I also used a second wrench on the first to get some extra leverage. Just leave the belt slack where it is so it’s still wrapped around all the other pulleys. I also left the 15mm on the tensioner. It held itself against the shock tower. (optionally, you can access the tensioner from the bottom, you just need to remove the belt guard and a second person to pull the belt off)
5. Remove air intake piping – slotted screwdriver to undo the hose clamps
6. Remove throttle body. – 10mm socket w/extension. Theres one electrical clip on the TPS to remove. I left the cables on the TB. I put the TB and the spacer in a plastic bag to keep it clean and just rested it somewhere in the engine bay. I took this opportunity to jam a clean rag in the intake side of the blower to keep dirt out.
7. Loosen one of the hose clamps on the rubber coupler that connects the blower housing and intake manifold right where the diverter valve is.
8. Remove the vacuum line connections on the top of the blower.
9. Disconnect the injector harness plugs. Also disconnect a lot of other plugs. You want to get a lot of slack in this bit of harness to make it easier to maneuver the blower out later.
10. Using a 10mm wrench loosen the two bolts holding on the fuel rail. Pop the injectors out. I did this by prying a bit on the fuel rail. The whole assembly came out as 1. You should be able to swing the fuel rail right out the way and sit it on the passenger side strut tower.
11. Remove the bolt attaching the alternator bracket to the blower housing – 12mm socket. I also used a 12mm gear wrench cuz it’s a bit of a small space.
12. Jack up the car and put on jack stands. I was able to create enough room underneath by just jacking one side real high and using 1 jack stand under where the front control arm bolts to the subframe.
13. Embarrassingly this next part took a while because it took me forever to find the bolts holding the blower to the intake manifold. Fortunately you are reading this. It turns out the bolts are really long and they pass through the IM to the blower from the underside. There are 4 bolts on the underside on the IM. So get under the car with a 12mm wrench /12 socket (whatever you can fit and get enough leverage with) and remove.
14. At this point everything should be disconnected and the blower should be able to be coaxed out of the engine bay. I suggest covering the IM with something to keep the dirt out.
15. If you were replacing the alternator, this is where your instructions would diverge from this writeup. But return to step 13 of reassembly to put the blower back on.
16. Take the blower to your work bench, or where ever your hydraulic press is.
17. Using an allen key, remove the oil drain/fill plug. Drain the oil. I used a large syringe with a length of tubing to get all the oil out without making a huge mess.

18. Remove the bolts holding the snout to the blower housing. Using a rubber mallet to gently break the snout loose. Alternatively use a screwdriver to pry the snout apart. There are some convenient places to do this. DON’T SCRATCH THE GASKET MATING SURFACE.
19. Clean up all the oil that spilled out. LOL. Put the blower housing aside.
20. Remove the plastic coupler as pointed to in the pic. This may be the source of all your noise if the holes have become warped. If so, proceed to reassembly.

21. Remove the pulley bolt – 18mm socket and a 1.5” wrench. I found that my 1.5” wrench was too thick to fit in the gap, so I used channel locking pliers.
22. Use a gear puller to get the pulley off. Or if that doesn’t work (like it didn’t for me) use the hydraulic press. Save the key. It’s a half moon key, aka a Woodruff key. look at the dirt built up on the leaking oil.

23. Remove the spring clip holding the oil seal in. Save for re-use.

24. Using the hydraulic press to get out the oil seal and the outer bearing.
25. Save the spring.

26. Press off the coupler and then the inner bearing.
27. Clean off the shaft to ensure it isn’t damaged or heavily scored. I used brake cleaner on a rag to clean things.
28. Clean off the residual gasket from the snout/rotor housing.
29. Disassembly complete.
30. Now it is possible to take this further and replace the rotor bearings, but mine seemed fine. The rotors turn easily and there is little coating worn off which indicates to me that those bearings are fine.
31. In my case the source of my noise was my pulley. The nut had backed off a bit and my pulley was not running true. This had destroyed my keyway/ key and wrecked the pulley. However I had already ordered the rebuilt kit, so I rebuilt it all anyways while it was disassembled.
32. I bought a used 3.6” pulley (20$) from someone who had upgraded to a BBK and I also had to get a new key way machined in my shaft. (I have a friend who is a machinist so it only cost me beer)
33. I should also mention that the longest part of the whole rebuild was waiting for parts in the mail because things had to pass through customs. (I live in Canada)

Reassembly

1. Press on the new inner bearing
2. Press on the coupler; be cautious to line up the splines properly.
3. Press the new outer bearing into the snout
4. Put that spring on the shaft
5. Press the shaft into the bearing in the snout. Make sure all the bearings are fully seated on the shaft and in the snout.
6. Put in the new oil seal. Re-use the spring clip that you saved. This pic shows the new keyway too.

7. Put on the pulley. Remember the key. I used blue loctite so it shouldn’t loosen again.
8. Put the new plastic coupler on the metal coupler pegs.
9. Ensure the gasket surface is clean. Make a small bead with the anaerobic gasket maker (supplied in kit).
10. Line up the couplers and rebolt the snout to the housing. Go around and tighten the bolts little by little and evenly. Don’t over torque and strip a bolt.
11. Let the gasket cure. (follow the instructions) I left mine for at least a day to be safe.
12. Put the supercharger so it is level on a table. Fill the snout with supercharger oil. Mine came with the kit, but you could go to any Ford or GM parts counter and ask for supercharger oil. Do not use regular gear oil; this is special low thermal expansion, long life oil. I filled the snout till it leaked out the fill hole. I used almost 2 (4 ounce) bottles.
13. I used some threaded rod M8 x 1.25, about as long as the bolts holding the blower housing to the IM, to make guide pegs to set the blower down nicely on the IM and to hold the gasket in place (props to iceberg65 on FJfor the suggestion). I ground some flats spots on the end to make it easier to unthread from below.
14. Make sure your IM has no dirt in it, and the injector ports are clean, etc.
15. Using the new “pegs” line up and set the blower on the IM. Make sure the diverter valve rubber coupler is on too, and that the hose clamp is still there. You can tighten the hose clamp at this point.
16. From underneath put in the 2 long bolts into the holes that don’t have the threaded pegs in them. Then remove the pegs and install the 3rd and 4th bolt. I needed some needle nose vise grips to get a good enough grip on the threaded rod (hence the flat spots). Tighten the bolts.
17. Reinstall the alternator bracket bolt
18. Lube the O rings of the injectors, and install the fuel rail assembly.
19. Reinstall the vacuum lines.
20. Reinstall all electrical harness connections.
21. Reinstall throttle body.
22. Reinstall intake piping.
23. Put the belt over the pulley (remember the wrench on the tensioner ;) )
24. Reattach the coolant tank
25. Reinstall strut bar (if you have one)
26. Reconnect battery.
27. Remove from jack stands.
28. Start it up and be amazed at the quiet operation of your supercharger.

Total cost. ~150$. Total hours: a lot. It was my first time doing this, and I had to wait for the mail a lot, but you could do it in a day easy. My Gf was getting pretty mad about having to take the bus to work for all that time. the removal and installation wasnt that difficult. I did it parked on the side of the road beside my appartment.

keywords: eaton m62 rebuild, JRSC rebuild, snout rebuild, snout drive, supercharger rebuild, JRSC removal, powerworks rebuild, alternator removal

Last edited by thenorm; 05-30-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 28,128, Level 98
Points: 28,128, Level: 98 Points: 28,128, Level: 98 Points: 28,128, Level: 98
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
seriously nice writeup!

stickie material!

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #3

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

Points 5,488, Level 47
Points: 5,488, Level: 47 Points: 5,488, Level: 47 Points: 5,488, Level: 47
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Excellent information, looks like a good winter project for me

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
GT40 all the things!

Fan#: 59330
What I Drive: 04 ZX3, 12 Hatch

Points 13,460, Level 75
Points: 13,460, Level: 75 Points: 13,460, Level: 75 Points: 13,460, Level: 75
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 13 disciplerocks Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Awesome write up. Stickie this thing so I can find it when I need it! Only I'll need to look for the part numbers for the Zetec one.
89 Bronco II XLT Crawler
Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Points 5,735, Level 48
Level Up 93% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by disciplerocks View Post
Awesome write up. Stickie this thing so I can find it when I need it! Only I'll need to look for the part numbers for the Zetec one.
i think the parts for the M45 is the same, according to the vendor website i bought from. Maybe today i'll dig out the part #s off the bearings if you can find a local source for them.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Too old for this...

Fan#: 61490
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Mazda6 S

FF Reputation: 9 kjsoccerdude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Great write up! Awesome job on it. I imagine it will be stickied soon.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63700
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 CarDemon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Great write-up. Hope it gets stickied.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

Points 14,847, Level 78
Points: 14,847, Level: 78 Points: 14,847, Level: 78 Points: 14,847, Level: 78
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Thanks for getting this write up done ... very informative, thanks! Nice to see there are cheaper options out there than just shipping it off to get rebuilt.

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #9
VEKTOR PLATE

Fan#: 64465
What I Drive: blue sub #6

Points 5,837, Level 49
Points: 5,837, Level: 49 Points: 5,837, Level: 49 Points: 5,837, Level: 49
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 4%
FF Reputation: 10 Paladin Great Standing Member
yes, please stickie this, as i'm aiming for the jrsc for my boost (its a daily/ straack whore, so its gotte be relaible)
Old 10-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Points 5,735, Level 48
Level Up 93% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
if you want to source the parts from the kit separatly

chicago rawhide seal: #20 47 4 KM
inner bearing NSK 8303
outer bearing NSK 6204

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.