Custom turbo for DD: Driveability, not huge power - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51147
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 5,708, Level 48
Points: 5,708, Level: 48 Points: 5,708, Level: 48 Points: 5,708, Level: 48
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 51 Roland07 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Post Custom turbo for DD: Driveability, not huge power

Hey FFers, long time no post for me. I've been toying with the idea of going turbo for a long time, and probably will for a long time, but I want to do some research and look into a custom system.

The FSWerks kit looks like a dream come true, but to be frank, I think it's more than I want. I love how my car gets up and goes at about 4500 rpm, with nothing but a CAI and a 2.5" exhaust... I just want to make it happen sooner in the RPM range.

My goal isn't so much peak power oriented so much as power useable in a DD. And seeing as how I'm still a long way from paying off my car, I can't justify spending $4k on a kit. I've read that custom kits can run a lot cheaper. I have access to a machine shop and a handful of gearheads with years of experience under their belts.

I need to know what I'm looking at when it comes to fabricating a custom turbo setup. I -will- spend the money for high quality turbos, BOVs, wastegates, injectors, cooling upgrades... you know, all the stuff you need to run even low PSI on a stock engine.

My goal is low-end torque, passing power, things of a practical nature. I love the confidence I get from my Focus's handling, I want the same thing in the engine. 85 mph tops, don't intend to ever track it, not looking to hurt ricers' feelings at a red light. Wanna compensate for the 4000 feet of altitude I gained when I moved to Denver, CO.

Any DIY experts out there? I'd love to start getting some ideas floating around.

L.O.T.H. #9
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
First you need to set a power goal and then build your setup to meet those goals.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Points 5,708, Level 48
Level Up 79% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I don't need my car to be a whole lot faster. What I want is a minimalist turbo build, something to compensate for altitude, and change my torque curve to give me more power in the low RPMs.

When I bring her up into the mountains proper, I can't maintain highway speed in fifth gear. Higher still and I have to downshift to third to keep it at 65mph. Honestly it's not very often that I go up there, but it's embarrassing to have to be at 4500-5000rpm just to keep up with grannies doing 60 in a 65.

I wanna turbocharge it to compensate for the lack of low-end power, not to make it a speed machine. I just turned 25, my insurance halved, and I intend to keep it low.
L.O.T.H. #9
Old 05-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
Too old for this...

Fan#: 61490
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Mazda6 S

FF Reputation: 9 kjsoccerdude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Well...it's pretty hard if not impossible to do a quality Turbo build for under $4000 from what I've seen. BUT I see one thing that could possible help you out. If you somehow know anybody that can do all of the piping for you and or make you a manifold it could make it considerably cheaper.

That being said I haven't really seen many (if any) self-put-together Turbo set ups on a Duratec. Both FSWERKS and F2 kits are quality from what I've read and both are complete kits.

But anyway...if you wanna do it yourself here are a few numbers that I've throw at you.

Turbo - Buying a used one is risky. So for a new one I'd say look to spend anywhere from $500 to $1000 depending on what you go with.

WG and BOV - WG you can get used. Should be able to find an EVO or Tial for under $200 but might take some looking. BOV Tom and many other people reccomend the Ebay Type RS with only costs $30.

FMIC - Not sure about these but I'd say $100 at the cheapest.

Injectors - You could go with either 42 or 60 and depending on which you get I think you'll look at prices around $100-$300 depending on new or used and which ones you get.

Tune + Tuning device - If you go with Tom you can get it all for around $900. Good deal though because you get free updates for anything you change on the car.

All the other things - All the lines and fittings and everything else adds up quickly and you can go from thinking you have everything to spending another $500 on the rest of it.

Keep in mind I didn't price a manifold, downpipe, WG downpipe, or any of the piping. I don't even know where you would get that stuff other than having it custum made which I can't really give you a price on.

Also keep in mind these were just numbers I took off the top of my head and I won't guarantee any of them as being accurate. They were just estimates.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Fear the TurboSnail!

Fan#: 40342
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

Points 6,670, Level 53
Points: 6,670, Level: 53 Points: 6,670, Level: 53 Points: 6,670, Level: 53
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 13 UnFocusedST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
If you go with the F2 kit and Toms tuning with the tuning device from him you'll be well under 4 grand.
Team Duratec #17
Hatch Nation #17
Midwest Crew #55
Boosted Crew #118
Old 05-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Points 5,708, Level 48
Level Up 79% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mave View Post
If you go with the F2 kit and Toms tuning with the tuning device from him you'll be well under 4 grand.
I had no idea F2's kit was so inexpensive. o_o Last time I had money to kick around the idea of modding, it was just a speculative rumor.

Although, looking at the parts list for their kit versus FSWerks, I see a -lot- of brand name differences... does F2 use inferior parts?
L.O.T.H. #9
Old 05-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Too old for this...

Fan#: 61490
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Mazda6 S

FF Reputation: 9 kjsoccerdude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
F2's kit uses different stuff and is much newer to the market but I've heard good things about it. IF you're going to look into buying it wait a few months and they will likely be using a Comp Turbo. I also didn't realize it was as cheap as it is.

You could get the State 2 + Tom's tune for less than $4k.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12724
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blue ZX5 SES turbo

Points 13,564, Level 75
Points: 13,564, Level: 75 Points: 13,564, Level: 75 Points: 13,564, Level: 75
Level Up 79% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 62 sutyak Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I could probably write a book on all the things I've learned from building my own Duratec turbo kit: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...50#post1683950
I'd recommend 99.9% of people to just buy a kit.

If you are an insane do-it-yourselfer like I am then you're in for a lot of work and rework.
It's been almost 3 years since I built my kit and I'm STILL tweaking it!

Now that being said, I went with a 350cfm turbo. Very small. (soon to flow 440cfm and pull to 7K RPM :)
At 10psi it runs out of breath at 5300 RPM, but makes for awesome low-end power and passing power like you are desiring. (I can't actually recommend my particular turbo though, there are just too many better/newer ones.)
What you describe is a small turbo, much like you'd find on a factory vehicle.
That also means zero growth for power potential though.

I will say that the FSWerks turbo choice was excellent and matched very well to both the 2.0 and 2.3 engines.
Good low-end power and future power potential.
Tom says his kit is even better. I have no reason to doubt him, but from what I've seen his interest lies more in upper-RPM power and big cfm turbos, which is perfectly fine for him.
I think his words were "any boost under 3000 RPM is only good for wheelspin". (or really close)
There's a lot of truth in that, but also controllable with that appendage that is pushing the as pedal...

Good luck. PM me if you want any specific info.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #9
Hammer Down

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 15,545, Level 80
Points: 15,545, Level: 80 Points: 15,545, Level: 80 Points: 15,545, Level: 80
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 83 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Now if you could hook up an aircraft style Dial - a - boost adjustable to compensate for altitude (plus a bit of base boost for a little extra zing)....

Don't think anything from that field would be LOW enough volume to fit the app., even the smallest controlled gate might be too large...

Hmmm - lower controlled output might be HARDER to get than MORE ponys....

SAAB used to have some low pressure turbo setups - Junkyard time? - if it mocks up Ok then a good one for use?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
VEKTOR PLATE

Fan#: 64465
What I Drive: Frankenstein, and Grimlok

Points 5,891, Level 49
Points: 5,891, Level: 49 Points: 5,891, Level: 49 Points: 5,891, Level: 49
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 10 Paladin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i'd jsut buy an fswerks stage 1 and run it right where they set it. after all your not looking for crazy power (yet). the kit has been proven time and again. and your stock clutch or auto should handle it witout fussing (as long as you can keep from spiining tires.

you were saying something on insurance. it shouldn't go up if you put mods on the car, unless you get it appraised. if you keep a calm head like i cant you should be able to avoid tickets and keep your insurance low.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.