Focus Fanatics Forum banner

precision turbo

2K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  vanace 
#1 ·
So about how much hp can you get out of this turbo. Ive seen toms kits and they looked great but I can aford five large ones . I just want around 230- 250 horses. If I get this do most dyno shops put the parts on or are they just there to tune and dyno cars etc. And would I need a boost controller and turbo timer or anything like that . Basically what Im saying is what would I need to go with the kit.

#2 ·
The kit comes with a chip BUT NO TUNING on it so you will have to find some one to tune it but the broblem is there is 2 people in the US that can do it CORRECTLY

It wont do over 220 safely and it comes with injectors that are to small 36`s and i dont like the oil pump pumping the oil from the turbo back to the engine ,But thats my opinion

Tom

#3 ·
how many kits out are any good ? I know your kit is great. Tell me what all comes with your kit. Can give me so pros and cons to your kit and others. Because if Im going to shell out big bucks for a kit than I want it to be worth it . And one more thing is your kit easy to tune. If I find a dyno shop here in missouri which will probably be like finding a needle in a hay stack can it be tuned even though the person at the shop isnt familiar with it . What Im trying to say I dont want to shell out 5000 or more get it to a shop and get it installed tuned incorrectly and have my engine blow up on my way back home.

G
#4 ·
1turbofocus said:
i dont like the oil pump pumping the oil from the turbo back to the engine ,But thats my opinion
Not much you can do when you place the turbo so low in the car....can't have oil pressure build up in the turbo and blow seals.

DiabloChips is going to have their Predator out soon for the Focus. Guess they are working on the whole Ford line....would be much better than a chip!

Garrett has only built a very small number of GT28R turbos so far. I think they were all built by hand. Makes the kit just that much more expensive, when a GT28 would have worked, just need to boost it higher. Packaging would have been easier with the smaller turbo as well.

#5 ·
So what your saying is diablo is working on a turbo or a different chip or what.
Hey tom will you please answer me back . I might want to buy one of your kits in the future . I wanted to know what all comes with your kit and what were the pro and cons of it .

#6 ·
There is a list on my website of parts www.focus-power.com the tuning comes with it and is ready to go to dyno only to make sure it is safe there is 4 settings on the chip to give you some tuneability

There still is NO other turbo kit for the Focus that has tuning and that is the biggest down fall to them all

Marauder ,, there is NO diff. between a flash and a chip as for what they will do quality or power wise ,,The flash is coming out because the port the chips go in have been done away with and flash is the only solution

Tom

#7 ·
so let me ask you this tom? If I get it installed in my town can I drive it to where it'll be dynoed or would I have to have them put on then dyno it . Is it set at like 5 psi before you put it on . Is it easy to install . The mechanics down here mostly deal with v-8s. there are no speed shops here .

#9 ·
so if it is set at that level of psi than in order to get it dynoed I have to drvie to st louis or kc which is about 3 hours either way from where I live . So you dont think it will harm my motor . At 8-10 psi what would my hp numbers might be . I also would like to know how many horses I could get safely before I have to start getting internals. Iknow I would need a new clutch,and a lsd . Would my stock cams and gears be okay . Or would it be better to get new cams and gears . I know you have a different fly wheel. What would I need to get to be around 275 to 280 . Just would like some info. You the man ! You the man!

thanx.

#11 ·
Dont mean to keep bugging you tom . Just wanted to get as much info as possible and as seeing as you are the authority on this subject , I have to ask as many questions as possible . I was going to go s/c but I dont see the numbers Im looking for . Your kit has everything I need . I was only wanting 220to 250 but 270 to 280 is looking better.

G
#14 ·
1turbofocus said:
Marauder ,, there is NO diff. between a flash and a chip as for what they will do quality or power wise ,,The flash is coming out because the port the chips go in have been done away with and flash is the only solution
Tom
Except a chip is set, and needs reburning.

The Predator you can make adjustments yourself and download the tune. You still need to tune it yourself, but you don't need someone to burn you a chip. As they come, its only adjustable enough for a NA setup with boltons. But diablo is very helpful as far as getting you tuneups.

When I talked to Diablo, they said they want the chips to go away because of the installation problems with the port on the ECU's. Some the terminals just go away with over time and some people just don't clean them off properly. And then, yes, the newer ECU's will not have the port to accept a chip.

If you have a automatic, the Predator can also adjust the tranny. Something just a normal chip can't do on the fly.

#15 ·
Really what I want to know what kind of setup do I need to reach 250-270 . One would be your turbo What else would I need . I just want 250-to 270 . If I can' get that I would like know what I need to make 200 to 250 . I dont have that high a octane . Like I said would 93 octane be okay . And if it is set at 8-9psi out of the box how hp is that going to give . Can I just leave it that or does it have to be dyno tuned. Sorry to keep bugging . But like I said I would like as much info as possible

#17 ·
thank you for all your help tom . I appreciate the answers you have given me. 200-to 220 would be just fine . I can whip up on some of the hondas around here . Would still like 250-270 though but dont have that kind of octane gas around here.

#20 ·
Yeah your right I talked to a few people at work that have drag cars . And they told me that the fuel they use is like 4 dollars and something cents a gallon. The way gas prices are right now I think that is out of my budget. Oh hey can I leave the psi setting at 8-9 without getting it dynoed.

#22 ·
personally, I like the article in focus fanatic mag about the precision turbo. I like the fact that the oil return uses an electric pump and can program it to run after the engine is turned off to help cooling. What I don't understand is, a stock engine, with a turbo setup ( I don't care who's ) is a fixed proposition. Why can't a chip be put with the kit to make the best of that set up? It would be a constant. For that matter, with the technology we have now, offer a chip with some basic mods that works. For example, offer a chip for a stock setup, and one for a car that has a certain brand of cat back exhaust, and one with a cat back, and cams. You see where I am going? burning a chip is easy once you have the values you need. It would be a great help to market a turbo kit, and make it user freindly. R&D would be expensive to get chip parameters for each mod stage, but what an advertising coo !! I think you would sell alot more kits if it where truely plug and play. These things are mechanical and have set values. Make use of them, and make money, and have happy customers that don't need to do more than wrench for a weekend to make a screaming focus. No reason it couldn't be done

#23 ·
there is a company way ahead of you, FORD CHIP is working on this w/ super chip or visa versa, and has done it from what i hear on mustangs anyway, focus shouldnt be too far behind, though it is a bit different, and w/in that every single car is different, but i think there is still no replacement for expert tuning

#24 ·
Does anyone actually Make a 3" exhaust for the Focus? If so, who? cause I have been searching for one, Other than trubends.
I wanna get toms kit, but I wanna kinda get the set up right, I got Cam Gears on the way, just need the Exhaust, and 70mm MAS.

#25 ·
and w/in that every single car is different, but i think there is still no replacement for expert tuning

true enough, but a basic chip that will make 90% of the owners happy and not damage the engine is simple enough (Ford does that with the stock focus) and then for the other who want the max out of there set up, it is still tunable, or even offer a kit without the chip so the buyer can take it to a tuner, and save a little money. Good to know a chip maker is doing that... now to save up for the turbo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.