Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Turbo LSX Focus

310K views 1K replies 149 participants last post by  BoostedLM7 
#1 · (Edited)
ok im making a post of my plans. i was going to wait till i was finished to post this but i figured you guys would really like to see the progress more than just the results.

the plan: To build a turbo v8 focus with upwards of 800hp for less than or equal to the price it cost me to build the 4cyl to make 400hp. this is all of course based on the fact that i am doing it my self and not paying someone to do it. i done the same with the focus build and i plan to do this one as well.

Info on the Build:

Motor: 5.3L Vortec out of a 2002 Chevy 1500 truck from a salvage yard for 500 including wiring, ecu, manifolds, etc. i am not some one that looks at things by brand names, the only thing i care about is the power, reliability, cost, and sensibility of it. i am using a chevy motor because of how universal all of their parts are, how compact they are, the power they can make, how little they cost, and they are very reliable. the 5.3 was very easy to find, i have a ls1 IM for it, and plan to get a corvette zo6 cam. after the project is finished and rolling i will save up and build this motor and push the t76 to the limits.

a modular cobra or navigator motor are both very large, very expensive, and very complicated motors. the 5.0's are junk when it comes to making a lot of power.

Tranny:
TH400 transmission. very inexpensive and very strong. i do not plan to buy a tranny controller so i need a mechanically operating trans. the plan is to either swap to a 4l80e trans and convert it to full mechanical/and manual valve body and build it or to build the turbo 400. this will depend on funds when the time comes. i have this ordered from a local salvage yard for 350.

Rear end and suspension:
the same salvage yard will be supplying me with what ever i need out of a wrecked mustang with a 4 link 8.8. this will include the linkages, shocks, springs, brakes, and wheels. i believe their price is 350-400.

the 8.8 will be what i use till the motor and tranny are finished. then i will be switching to a cobra independent. i will not be tubbing and building a drag car. i will do my best to make this thing handle as good as it does now.

the front subframe will need to be modified, but i will be using the stock focus suspension. my plan is to cut out the section where the tranny will go through the subframe and reconstruct it to fit under. the rack and pinion will need to be in front of the motor so i will be getting a rack out of something that will fit. the stock spindle will work fine. i just swapped the driver and passengers sides to move the tierod hook up to the front side.

Engine managment:
megasquirt will be used because this is a budget project. i am very happy with the reviews i have seen and for the price i dont think i could get much better. it may not be able to do as much as many of the ems's available but it will be able to make a very reliable driver and work great for the power.

gauges:
just going with all autometer gauges.

fuel:
i already have a return fuel system, i just need to buy 4 more injectors and new fuel rails.

pics of the tear down:

what the engine with turbo will look like:

i will be posting every time i buy some thing and telling what i paid. in the end will post a full list of every part i purchased and a list of every part i sold and what they sold for along with what i paid.

hope you guys enjoy

Tim

See less See more
Reactions: bespurcell
#420 ·
it will take about 6" of pipe to get to the wg where it is in the pic. i am using 2" pipe into the wg and 1.75 out since that is what the flanges are. i dont think i will get boost creep...

#423 ·
ok my FF is finally working again. [chair]

decided to mount the wg here. right on the collector, not a long run, and straight dump. sucks cause you cant see the pretty tial wg but oh well.

i painted the pipes with bbq paint, wrapped them, then sprayed them with vht. i still need a flex pipe but that is ordered.

i got megasquirt assembled as well. here is a pic of my computer savy helper.... dork! lol thanks for the help w/ assembly kyle [thumb]

we modified it for ls1 style cop.... im so ready for this to be under the dash running the car....

so far today i have started with pulling the motor back out. i finished up some of the mounts on the front radiator support since i just had one bolt on for every thing for mock up.

i have to finish the rear motor plate, and get all the holes to patch up from cutting stuff up.

#429 ·
i finally get to know who is tim lol. Good my life is done.
thats not me... did you read it before you posted?

as far as the wg size i just went with what many other people with close to the same set up were using on theturboforums.

and no maf any more.. this isnt a focus any more, lol. megasquirt has a built in map sensor.

#428 ·
hey tim i dont think a single 44 is gonna keep boost creep away. im iffy about it. but it looks good so far.

#430 ·
Ya Tim i think you might run into some problems but we will see. you could of ran dual 38. or if this doesnt work dual 44 :)

#432 ·
from what i can find people say they are definitely good for 8-10 psi range for a ls1 and a t76. my wg spring pressure is at 8, boost controller will up it 1 more on lowest setting. i will just let it set at what ever it wants and start from there. 8lb, 9lb, 10lb w.e.... lol [thumb]

if it cant keep it at 10 then i will get bigger... unless i can find a 60 for the same price as this one will sell for

#434 ·
With that size motor the wastegate he picked will work just fine for that turbo.

If you were trying to put a huge turbo on a 4 cylinder you need a big WG. Not the case with a v8.

#439 ·
all the guys on the turbo forums say the 44mm is plenty big enough to support the boost i want... the only thing they say that could cause a problem is that it is at a 90* off the collector. others say theirs is like that and they can run the boost as low as they want...???

really there isnt any other way to do it with all the room under the focus's hood, lol... any way we will see what it will do..

as for updates. i got the arp rod bolts in, oil return fitting on, oil pan on and gasketed, valve covers on and gasketed,

waiting on new IM bolts bolts to come in cause they are actually long for the LS1 manifold than the truck manifold. and im waiting on a new TB gasket cause its a little diff shape around the IAC. also ordered some new plug wires cause the ones i have are really old.

im going to put the ex manifolds on today... i decided to wrap them as well.

#440 ·
Sweeeet sounds good Tim your making progress :) and i call first ride whenever i see you :)))))

#445 ·
arp rod bolts, ls1 windage tray & pick up.

oil pan installed for last time before start :chacha:

wrapped the manifolds, and oil return fitting

painted stuff black so it dont look nasty

#450 ·
no way. i still have a lot of work to do before it goes back in. then i have to build a wiring harness for it and get the dash back in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.