Any Turbo'd cars in CO? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30885
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Gray ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 1 1 Slow Stang Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Any Turbo'd cars in CO?

I am moving to CO (Nederland or Conifer) area in the summer of 2010. I am finally financially able to go FI on my Focus, 2004 ZX3 Zetec. I am about 85% saved up for a kit, but I notice that CO does emissions testing.

Do any of you have a turbo kit? If so, how do you pass emissions?

I knew I should have bought a PWSC when I had the chance at least then I could have kept my cat on for the testing...

Maybe I should just say 'screw it' and get a Jeep Wrangler...get a 6" lift and put some 37" on it and get into off-roading instead of street performance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry for the double thread... I hit submit once but my Internet connection timed out and then when I hit submit again and it posted twice...
Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
There's someone here with a turbo Civic hatch... I'll see if I can get her to chime in for you.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 11-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC

Fan#: 40962
What I Drive: 03 Red EvO & 03 TURBO SVT

Points 9,232, Level 64
Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 focusguy87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
There are plenty of turbo cars that are passing emission testing. CO of course is not the only one that does Emission testing. I would contact Randy at Focus Sport, their shop is in CA so all of their customers have to pass emissions. Give him a call he may help you out.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

Points 14,855, Level 79
Points: 14,855, Level: 79 Points: 14,855, Level: 79 Points: 14,855, Level: 79
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
I live in CO and I know a guy from fj who lives up in the denver area that had a turbo'd focus and I know of one or two others round these parts. The big thing here in CO is the visual inspection: ie gas cap and restrictor, cat coverter, 02 sensors, etc. Other than that, they are pretty slack. Get a good tune for the car and you should be just fine.

There are a number of us that are running procharger, jrsc, powerworks kits and we all get along just fine. I have seen some serious jalopies roll through and pass.

Here's the URL for the emissions program here in CO: http://www.aircarecolorado.com/
and
Here is a link to the 5280 section on the jet where just recently someone asked the same question: >> Click Me <<

BTW - Conifer or Nederland would be a damn fine place to live. You'd be out in the foothills and there are great roads right out your door there. Hope you are into mtn biking and the like cause they both have some great trails out that way.

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues

Last edited by ..:: sleestak ::..; 11-21-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: More Info - add links
Old 11-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 53,023, Level 100
Points: 53,023, Level: 100 Points: 53,023, Level: 100 Points: 53,023, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 49%
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
There will soon be a 320HP SVT Focus heading back home turbocharged with my DIY kit but not sure where in Co. he lives

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

Points 14,855, Level 79
Points: 14,855, Level: 79 Points: 14,855, Level: 79 Points: 14,855, Level: 79
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
once it gets here, he'll have 280hp, lol....kidding. But altitude sucks like that.

Tom is it a member on the boards here?

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Old 11-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..:: sleestak ::.. View Post
I live in CO and I know a guy from fj who lives up in the denver area that had a turbo'd focus and I know of one or two others round these parts. The big thing here in CO is the visual inspection: ie gas cap and restrictor, cat coverter, 02 sensors, etc. Other than that, they are pretty slack. Get a good tune for the car and you should be just fine.

There are a number of us that are running procharger, jrsc, powerworks kits and we all get along just fine. I have seen some serious jalopies roll through and pass.

Here's the URL for the emissions program here in CO: http://www.aircarecolorado.com/
and
Here is a link to the 5280 section on the jet where just recently someone asked the same question: >> Click Me <<

BTW - Conifer or Nederland would be a damn fine place to live. You'd be out in the foothills and there are great roads right out your door there. Hope you are into mtn biking and the like cause they both have some great trails out that way.
I love mountain biking, hiking, snowboarding, snowmobiling, kayaking, etc... I grew up in Michigan so any and all outdoor activities I love!! Plus I love the snow and want to be in as much of it as I can while still having a reasonable commute (1 hr 15 mins or less) to Denver/Boulder for work.

As far as the visual goes, can I just get a custom downpipe w/a cat converter and just install it when I need to go in, then take it off when I am done? Tom, maybe you can chime in on this one?

As far as a SC goes, I would love to buy a Powerworks kit, but I am weary about spending that kind of money on a used SC.

And doesn't the ProCharger unit sits kinda low to the ground to be driving around in the snow with?

Thanks for all the input....
Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

"As far as the visual goes, can I just get a custom downpipe w/a cat converter and just install it when I need to go in, then take it off when I am done? Tom, maybe you can chime in on this one?"

Anyone?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
Thou shall fear me!

Fan#: 50808
What I Drive: 2009 Scion tC

FF Reputation: 27 thisdude_05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Slow Stang View Post
And doesn't the ProCharger unit sits kinda low to the ground to be driving around in the snow with?
The Procharger does not sit that low. It sits just as low as the front bumper. And it's a sealed unit so you don't have to worry about snow. (look at my sig hehe)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.