SVT JRSC - Troubleshooting Idle (Got Ideas?) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

Points 14,891, Level 79
Points: 14,891, Level: 79 Points: 14,891, Level: 79 Points: 14,891, Level: 79
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
SVT JRSC - Troubleshooting Idle (Got Ideas?)

Continuing along my path of troubleshooting....working on a funky idle.

JRSC BBK - Car idles with an odd miss. Got it on a dyno and it idles at 19 AFR. Looking at the vac readings - wobbles between 12-14 with idle miss (up this high 15 is the norm)....holds boost just fine. Gearing down a hill, it will hit 17/18 whereas 20 in norm.

So the guess is a vacuum leak. Went around the car hosing it down with spray listening for a change in idle...nada. All connections are über tight too boot. Final test was done on the by-pass actuator....

First test - disconnect vac hose, pull open by-pass, place finger over nipple on actuator and let go. By-pass closed with no problems :/ So, I then hooked up the MightyVac to the actuator and tried to vacuum the by-pass open. No dice....so it must be leaking, but I hook it up and it's working ok. SO....

Final test - Disconnect actuator, zip tie the by-pass open and plug the vac line (thereby eliminating the leaky part). Car still idles like poop and I get the same vac readings. Same odd miss. So I found a leaky part, but not my problem part.

Could the IAC be the culprit? Would it leak vacuum? Obviously it could cause an odd idle, but could it cause the car to go lean like that?

I plan on disconnecting the IAC and seeing the result. Also thinking about maybe disconnecting the TPS after that and seeing how it idles.

Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47582
What I Drive: 2004 sonic blue JRSC+BBK SVT

FF Reputation: 2 sonicsvt3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
i had a horrible idle once and it was a vac leak but it was way worse than yours my gasket was bad but yeah id check the iac and the tps both cant hurt. and is your throttle body gasket and spacer lined up right?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Supercharged

Fan#: 10982
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 SVT, 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4

Points 13,364, Level 75
Points: 13,364, Level: 75 Points: 13,364, Level: 75 Points: 13,364, Level: 75
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Hillyard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
There is a free vacuum port on the back of the intake manifold. JR requires that you cap this yourself, no bid deal right? Wrong. I went down to the auto store and got a cap...Well it cracked and appeared ok but quickly replaced it with a high quality one from Jegs. Well that wasn't good enough. I ended putting another one on and a hose clamp on it. This last one has been a success. That's where I was losing vaccum and I would definitely check it out.
#3788 InfraRed SVT
Hill <><
Old 10-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC

Fan#: 40962
What I Drive: 03 Red EvO & 03 TURBO SVT

Points 9,232, Level 64
Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 focusguy87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..:: sleestak ::.. View Post

First test - disconnect vac hose, pull open by-pass, place finger over nipple on actuator and let go. By-pass closed with no problems :/ So, I then hooked up the MightyVac to the actuator and tried to vacuum the by-pass open. No dice....so it must be leaking, but I hook it up and it's working ok. SO....

F
The by-pass opens by vac and boost. You need a positive force on one side and vac on the other. That is why that test failed.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27781
What I Drive: Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 19 pat247 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
This definately sounds like a vac leak. One very common source for a vac leak is the U shaped hose on the vac canister thing that is attached to the firewall close to the snout of the blower.

The second common source for a vac leak is a pressed in nipple for a vac line on the back of the manifold, the metal nipple actually gets loose and comes out of the manifold. These were generally found upon install and were just a bad batch of manifolds and were quickly corrected.

A vac leak that I had on my car was on the PCV line. Idled rough and generally ran crappy at low RPMs. Turned out to be the oil catch can I installed had developed a leak due to some allen bolts vibrating loose.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
on thin air

Points 14,891, Level 79
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
okay, update....

In checking the nipples on the back of the mani, I ended up pulling one out - tapped it back in tightly, then JB Welded it in place. All vac connections were sprayed and no leaks found...they are all zip tied/clamped tight (if a clamp fits, its clamped otherwise ziptied uber tight) I am using the revised vac set-up that Oscar posted on FJ, so both nipples on the back are being used.

Changed my PCV out and checked all the lines. Catch can had a bit of oil on the outside, so I replaced it just to be safe.

Got a hold of Oscar Jackson and asked him about testing the by-pass. According to him, I should be able to hook up a mightyvac and draw the by-pass open. It should stay open till I release the vacuum. Well, it wiggles a bit when trying to apply vacuum, but there is obviously a leak.

I disconnected the by-pass and plugged the vac line tight. I then zip tied the by-pass open....so technically, I just eliminated the vac leak. Well, it still has the same idle. So, I found a tiny leak, but not the source of my problem. I ordered a new by-pass actuator from Moss yesterday anyways (not looking forward to that project)

I then hooked everything back up and disconnected the IAC. Car died immediately and would not idle, so I guess its working....maybe not too well? Also tried the same thing for the TPS and that car idled the same until the fans kicked on and there was load on the system...then it idled like poop.

I am going to try some datalogging today to see if anything shows up. I might also order up a new IAC just for the sake of ddoing it anyways. I already have to pull the blower to get to the bypass so I might as well replace that while I am in there.

Would still appreciate feedback if any of you have it.

Thanks

Old 10-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

make sure you gasket b/w the blower and manifold is good mine was flimsy when i put t back on and did not work at all so i ordered a new one i have two new ones setting around if you wanna get one! but you may not need it
Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

and is the brake booster on good? checked it for vac leak.?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27781
What I Drive: Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 19 pat247 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
If you have a vac/boost guage on your car it is pretty easy to tell if you have a vac leak. When the car is at normal operating temp, AC off, at idle (900 rpm), you should be seeing about 19 on the vac guage. If you are then look for some other problem cause it is probably not a vac leak.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
on thin air

Points 14,891, Level 79
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
^^ yeah I have a vac guage, but up here at this elevation...it's more like 15 is the norm, lol.

Came out this morning and replaced the U-shaped line you mentioned, Pat. It was looking a bit worn. I took a piece of vacuum hose and made a shield for it as well, to protect it from rubbing on the blower.

Got under the car and checked the brake booster line, made sure all the bolts on the manifold and the four holding the blower, were snug. All hoses check out and no amount of spray anywhere is showing me a leak. Really think this is a AIC issue now. Thinking about ordering one up to be replaced when I do my by-pass actuator.

Flashing the car with 1k idle for now and will try to get some logs before the girlfriend gets here.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.