Nitrous bottle storage - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55544
What I Drive: 2002, black, Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 11 opyaFSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Nitrous bottle storage

I just purchased an NX nitrous kit. Not installed yet but looking to do it in the next 2 weeks. Now my question once its on my car and ready to go, can i leave the bottle in my car at all times (all types of weather, hot and cold, I live in Canada we get some extreme weather around here like -30 Celsius in the winter and 35 Celsius in the summer). I heard about this maxima and don't want this to happen to my car. So what do you guys suggest, should i take the bottle out every time or only when its really hot/cold, or can i leave it in the car at all times??

Last edited by opyaFSVT; 09-17-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44508
What I Drive: 01 Blue SE / 09 Black Coupe SE

Points 8,638, Level 62
Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 Rabbitccc Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (32)
You'll be fine. Your nitrous inside is well under -30 celsius already or atleast preety darn close. In the summer time my bottle which was stored right in the sun on 100F(40ishC)days would be right at the 900psi mark(1000ish is proper running pressure) It would take probably 200F+ to blow the bottle up. That guys just left his bottle warmer on to long. Which would cause it to reach 2000+psi and blow up.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Good to know. I will be buying a blow off valve just to be save. So no problem to leave it in the car at all times then. What about keeping the bottle open. I wont have a remote bottle opener for now and it would be annoying to always get out of the car to open and close it. Is it save that i leave it open for extended periods of time. Lets say i am on the road for 4-5 hours could i leave the bottle open that long??
Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Focus "Sleeper"

Fan#: 41715
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3 deep red

FF Reputation: 13 Captain Moonpie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The tank has a blow off vlave. Its a safety device installed on the tank valve.
You dont want to leave it open for very long. The solonoid will take a lot of pressure and stay sealed, but prolonged exposure to that kind of pressure will cause it to leak. At the very least, you dont want to loose that nitrous you paid for, and you especially dont want to cause any damage to the expensive solonoid.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Good info. Wont let it open for that long then, alos looking to get a remote bottle opener.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44508
What I Drive: 01 Blue SE / 09 Black Coupe SE

Points 8,638, Level 62
Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 Rabbitccc Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (32)
I just thought about it, maybe the nitrous is only cold when it makes contact with the air. Double check my statement about the extreme cold. But I know the summer temps won't hurt you. Yeah all bottle have blow off valves that will go off before the bottle explodes, if they work right, but you can get a blow off valve tube that will direct the nitrous to blow off through a tube directed under your car. NHRA requires them and they are an extra precaution so that if for some reason yours does go off it's not spraying all the nitrous in the car.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Yup i just bought ONE. That is what u mean right? I am not sure about the nitrous but I think its really cold weather in the bottle or out side.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
Focus "Sleeper"

THe nitrous is only really cold when it expands. WHen it is a liquid in the bottle, it is room temp. But when you start letting the liquid expand is when the temp drops, fast.
That is the same basic idea that causes your A/C to get cold. When the condensor is running, it is doing that, condensing the gas (Freyon). When the gas expands, it gets cold and causes the air to blow cold.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!
Old 09-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for clarifying makes sense now. So to get back to my first question, is it safe storing the nitrous in extremely hot weather. My nitrous will be in my trunk and my car is black, so temperatures could easily reach 50 degrees Celsius when the car is parked in the sun. Also i am pretty sure it cant, can nitrous freeze?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Focus "Sleeper"

THe nitrous will be perfectly fine. The nitrous is already frozen. I have had my bottle in my trunk for almost 18 months, 100% no problems.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.