High Compression / Low Boost - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

Fan#: 52400
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

Points 11,083, Level 69
Points: 11,083, Level: 69 Points: 11,083, Level: 69 Points: 11,083, Level: 69
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Lightbulb High Compression / Low Boost

I had a thought...
  • JRSC is a roots-type blower, so the air it produces becomes hotter as the boost increases.
  • We all know about the "multiplier effect."
  • Strong high compression pistons exist... 10.8:1, 10.2:1

Why hasn't anyone tried to run a JRSC at lower pressure on a higher compression engine? The same "effective compression" could be reached using fixed geometry instead of compressing more air, right?

For example, I have an SVT with a JRSC and BBK. I didn't know much, so I bought a thicker HG when I had to repair a toasted exhaust valve. I now wish I had kept the SVT's 10.2:1 CR. Before I burnt the valve, I had the non-BBK SVT JRSC with the factory 10.2:1. I now have the BBK & Cometic's thicker HG (0.060"), and the car doesn't really feel more powerful than before (butt dyno).

I have been toying with the idea of refreshing the motor sometime (maybe not till next summer). I have the right safety equipment (J&S Safeguard & Monitor, Wideband, Pyrometer) to play with things, and I'd run the BBK tune softly to drive it over to see Tom in NC. I was thinking about going with those +.007 JE Pistons, since they'd set a nice 10.8:1 CR using a HG of the normal SVT thickness. At least initially, I'd run some underdrive pullies like these to keep from getting into very much boost. Not sure what the ratios are, but if things seemed safe, I could consider going back to the normal pullies, with the full 11psi that I see now... but I would think that would require water injection, or at more than the 94 octane BP pump gas that I use now. If it was safe and possible, I'd probably have one of the more powerful JRSC'ed Foci ;)

Thoughts? Why hasn't anyone tried this? Too expensive, or just a bad idea? Theoretically, you'd have a VERY drivable car with the underdrive pulleys on. The higher CR/bigger bore/lighter pistons would give you more all around NA power, and the boost would be more effective and efficient because the base engine's better CR, and because the air temp would be colder, you'd get more gains and be even safer than the high-boost low-CR setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
On a turbo you can make "safer" power by lowing the CR and upping the boost, BUT on a SC its not really a good idea....

I have seen person after person do it (after I pleaded with them not to) and then wonder why it didnt make any more power.... well duh you dropped the CR and you only upper the boost a couple of pounds... which really doesnt even effect it until higher in the RPM's.

SC's LOVE Higher compression especially on something like the JRSC which is very limited to its output. I wouldnt go any higher than the stock SVT CR.

NOW something else to think about when buying pistons (other than stock) a 9:1 zetec piston will be closer to 9.5:1 in the SVT.. so if you bought 10.8's you would be closer to 11.3.........
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

Fan#: 52400
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

Points 11,083, Level 69
Points: 11,083, Level: 69 Points: 11,083, Level: 69 Points: 11,083, Level: 69
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
ooh, the SVT head is different, wasn't thinking about that.

I pretty much feel really stupid for getting that thicker HG... live'n learn, I guess. :'( not looking forward to pulling the head again, but at least its not an emergency.

Grabbing some high CR pistons should be fine for the SVT if a slightly thicker HG is used, right? Or can pistons be bought with custom CR's?

i.e. 10.5:1 JE's with a Cometic 0.030" or 0.040" HG?

I just think it'd be pretty sweet to have a JRSC BBK with something like 10.6:1 on forged pistons and rods . Obviously a 93 octane tune would be in order, and with the J&S Safeguard's retard switch, couldn't you still be safe if you had to fill with 87 at a lonely pump about 200 miles from the nearest premium?

These ideas are getting expensive, but I'm just wondering. Also, where can I find the cylinder and head specs for the Zetec VS the SVT (such as bore, stroke, head volume, etc)? That'd take the guessing right out of this... :) I'm aware that the most cost effective way to fix my booboo would be re-ringing the stock pistons (I'd hate to take it all apart again and have those croak on me), and going back to the stock HG...
Old 06-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I really dont think your going to pop a stock piston with the JRSC... no offence but they just wont produce enough boost to hurt them (with a good tune)

And yes you can run 87 if the need rises... just stay out of boost and it should do fine (until you can put good gas back into it)

SVT and Zetec bore and stroke are the same the only difference is the size of the combustion chamber on the SVT head.

The biggest problem with your idea is that the JRSC can not cool its boost so going with a higher CR on top of air thats already heated (and cant be cooled) is basically detonation just waiting to happen.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.