yet another turbo question... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49283
What I Drive: 04 Sonic Blue Svt

FF Reputation: 1 subtleshift Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
yet another turbo question...

ive been reading quite a bit about turbo's in regards to the way they work...ive learned a lot, but im left with some questions...

basically assuming i had an exhaust manifold, turbo, piping, the "basics" what other lines are their to worry about, or are their...

ie are their like vacuum lines, oil lines, IDK!!!

upon reading about the turbos it seams that basically i need some of the ^^basics^^ as i mentioned before...and with some fabrication ill be in business with a turbo...

is that right, or are their way more things to consider...

it helps to have a car lift. nuff said
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC

Fan#: 40962
What I Drive: 03 Red EvO & 03 TURBO SVT

Points 9,232, Level 64
Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 focusguy87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
you have an SVT so a J&S is a MUST!!!!

#50 or 60 Injectors
180 degree thermostat
Vac lines w/T fittings
Oil supply line, Oil drain line
If turbo is water cooled then those lines
3" MAF Housing with Diablo MAFia
BOV
WIDEBAND
Boost Gauge
BAP(Depends on HP Goals)
DYNO TUNE
Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

...this may be a harder question to answer, but things like the oil, and vac lines...where do you even hook those up...im trying to figure it out looking at the pics of the xios kit, and i cant figure it out...

do they hook up directly to the turbo...
does teh water cooling lines conneect to the intercooler....

and where in the setup do you connect the gauges...boost and wideband...

why is the MAFia necesary...

sorry for all the question, i love learning about this stuff, and reading last night acctually brought my knowledge of turbos up a lot, but i knew it couldnt be that simple (without the hoses and lines) so now i want to learn more of the info about boosting my car, so when if the money to go turbo, if i do im not just the rich kid that knows jack shit about cars his car....(haha like the white guy at the beginning of fast and furious tokyo drift)

Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48717
What I Drive: 2003 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Jholewin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You'll have two oil lines. The oil feed line comes from an oil port in the block or head that is pressurized, and goes to the turbo oil inlet. The second comes from the turbo oil outlet and drains into your windage tray. Gravity will be draining the oil, so make sure the drain line doesn't have any weird upward bends. Also you may need a restrictor on the feed line or else you may have too much pressure going into the turbo.

I can't comment on the water lines, my turbo is oil-cooled. But you should just be able to splice into a water line somewhere.

A boost gauge can be attached to almost any vacuum line, and a wideband gauge requires you to put another O2 sensor in your exhaust line, before the cat if you keep yours.

The MAFia extends the range of your MAF sensor, so your ECU knows how much air is being fed into the engine. The stock MAF sensor maxes out at or before 10 PSI. A 3" MAF housing will also help to extend the range.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC

Fan#: 40962
What I Drive: 03 Red EvO & 03 TURBO SVT

Points 9,232, Level 64
Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 focusguy87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtleshift View Post
...this may be a harder question to answer, but things like the oil, and vac lines...

do they hook up directly to the turbo...
The Oil lines: There will be 2, one supply and one drain. The supply line tapes into the block right next to your oil filter. You will see a black sensor screwed into the block and that it. get a T fitting and tap into that.

The other is your oil return line, your turbo will most likely have a special fitting that should come with it. That fitting will allow you screw on a line and weld a bung on the oil pan then connect the two.

Vac lines: There will be a couple ports on the turbo, or just one. You only need one so plug the other and use a vac line from the compressor side of the turbo to the wastegate. As pressure build in the compressor side, once it reaches X psi whatever your wastegate is set at the pressure forces the wategate open allowing exhaust gases to bypass the turbo which slow it down so it stops spooling and maintains XPSI

BOV line: This Vac line T fits into your Intake Manifold. When the throttle body closes (shifting) it activates the BOV. How? You still have pressure in your piping, but -10 in the manifold. The combination of pressure on the piping, and -10 in the vac line opens the BOV and relieves pressure till it is equalized then it closes again.

Quote:
does teh water cooling lines conneect to the intercooler....
No, not at all. Stand at the front of your car (hood up). Look down you will see "the log" a plastic piece that runs all the way across the top of you fans and then splits into 2. I will have to look again, but I pretty sure the one on the left you cut in half. Then run one end through the turbo, then the other that leads to the thermostat housing on the other side of the turbo.

Quote:
and where in the setup do you connect the gauges...boost
T your vacuum lines on your manifold, same place as BOV

Quote:
and wideband...
DONT GET THE ONES AT AUTO ZONE ECT....

You need one that comes with its own 02 sensor. Have a shop weld an 02 bung as close to the turbo as you can for accurate readings. 02 sensor goes there, then just run the wire to the gauge and plug it in your done.

Quote:
why is the MAFia necesary...
The MAF sends a voltage signal to the ECU telling it how much air flow there is. Ours will be maxed out, this boosts that signal to the ECU so it doesnt get maxed

Hope you learned start wrenching, that the best way
Old 04-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

well, half of what you guys said makes sense. I'm just trying to picture everything and some of these things I have nsver looked at but when I look at the egime again it starts
to make sense! Keep the help comin!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.