Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Turbo Oil drain Problems

3K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  focusguy87 
#1 ·
Alright, I purchased a new turbo cause I thought the seals went bad in my other one. (Only 1,000 miles on the turbo bought brand new)

I didn't see a problem with my oil drain line, still don't. I'm worried I bought a new turbo for no reason and the oil wasn't draining right building pressure and pushing past the seals.

As long as the turbo is higher than the pan it will drain. I realize that it will stop at the bottom of the line(See Pic), but as the oil level raises it will reach a higher height than whats it the pan.....so in theroy it will still drain.

Right?

?'s

1.After oil pushes past the seals are hey bad?
2.Or fix the drain problem and they will still work?
3.In the pic is the drain to low on the pan?
4. If something is wrong best way to route line over DP?
5. Can the Steel Braided line touche the DP?

Anything I am missing?

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm pretty sure that is to low. The place most people go to ois the windage tray. My drain line goes to the very top of the oil pan and I have suffered these same problems. I'm going to be pulling my line off and putting it up into the windage tray here in the next few weeks.

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure that you should have the turbo drain facing straight down to let gravity take out the oil. The location in the pan is fin just rotate the housing so the drain points down.

#9 ·
cut the one you have. the ends come off, tape up the end that you want to cut and cut it with a drimmel or die grinder, then just put the tip back on.

#10 ·
You DEFINITLY need to rotate the center section, the oil inlet is suppode to be straight up and the outlet straight down... you can blow your seals the way you have it now.

#15 ·
Take it off the car so you can work on it, loosen ALL the bolts on BOTH the hot and the cold housings, then rotate the center.... if its stuck you can use some heat (or even tap on it with a hammer... keyword TAP) like pocus said.

#17 ·
All right got it all done...post pics later tonnight. Ended up disassembling the turbo to get it to rotate. Cut drain line too, interesting how those lines work. Never knew you could do that.

Once again FF your advice is priceless!!

#26 ·
any turbo should be able to be rotated, yours might use a large internal snap right on teh intake side, those are kind of a pain in the ass but it does need to face strait down for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.