Powerworks data logging and some questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34864
What I Drive: 2010 Tacoma X-Runner

Points 2,493, Level 30
Points: 2,493, Level: 30 Points: 2,493, Level: 30 Points: 2,493, Level: 30
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 IcEMage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Powerworks data logging and some questions

So I was able to get a data log using a friends SCT. Just wondering if I posted the file if someone with more experience could take a look and see if there are any major problems. I am running the stock PWs tune at the moment.

I have been having some problems lately as well (the blower has been on for about 400miles). Most notable is not so good gas millage even if I drive it like a grandma, is this normal? Also the car likes to die when braking almost like the IAC is not opening soon enough. This happened 3 times the other day. After I start her back up there is a big difference in the exhaust note and a noticeable loss of power. It happened today so I pulled over, disconnected the battery and let everything reset, after that everything seemed fine, and she did not die again.

I am running a bosh O2 sensor right now (I killed the stock one when installing my ORP) I am wondering if that could be part of the problem, I have gotten one CEL and the code was P0133 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Slow Response (HO2S-11)

My other problem is is backfiring and stumbling when getting on the throttle about 3/4 or all the way. I have backed down the spark plug gap to .04...should I try going lower? I am hoping I am just getting blowout and that I am not running to lean. I am using the copper core motorcraft plugs.

Any ideas would be welcome, thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51292
What I Drive: 2013 ST

Points 2,359, Level 29
Points: 2,359, Level: 29 Points: 2,359, Level: 29 Points: 2,359, Level: 29
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing Member Blivit Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Depends on what parameters you logged.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48352
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 KINGZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
the gas mileage is normal. i'm very lucky to see 300 miles per tank. ...unless you're getting 10mpg or something, this is part of the trade off for more power.

as for the code, have you tried an o2 cheater? i have race headers, and i use a cheater. it works well, no codes.

does the stumble feel like the engine isn't running some of the cylinders? may be time for some new wires or a coil pack.

with the stalling issues... have you gone over all of your vacuum lines for leaks? my idle sucks, and i occasionally stall out too. i think perhaps this is just typical for the PW kit. many people have problems with this sort of thing.

i suggest you email powerworks. if you email them early, you will more than likely get a reply back the same day.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 53,445, Level 100
Points: 53,445, Level: 100 Points: 53,445, Level: 100 Points: 53,445, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 45%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
No bad MPG isnt normal with FI cars but with the crappy PW tune that they flod with fuel because they figured out that the IAT go through the roof because of poor design in there cooler system because the killed MANY SVT engines (they were warned) and instead of fixing the issue that make up for it with dumping a ton of fuel into it

A good tune can be fixed to get slightly better MPG cure the stall issue and increase the over all driveability

You just need to get a proper tune , PW is going to tell you (1) if you have ANY modded parts from stock then that is your stalling or running or bad MPG issue (2) There going to tell you they have thousands on miles on there tune and others that it has to be something wrong on your Focus , your wasting your time contacting them

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-31-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,493, Level 30
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGZX3 View Post
the gas mileage is normal. i'm very lucky to see 300 miles per tank. ...unless you're getting 10mpg or something, this is part of the trade off for more power.

as for the code, have you tried an o2 cheater? i have race headers, and i use a cheater. it works well, no codes.

does the stumble feel like the engine isn't running some of the cylinders? may be time for some new wires or a coil pack.

with the stalling issues... have you gone over all of your vacuum lines for leaks? my idle sucks, and i occasionally stall out too. i think perhaps this is just typical for the PW kit. many people have problems with this sort of thing.

i suggest you email powerworks. if you email them early, you will more than likely get a reply back the same day.
I think my last tank may have made it to 240 or 250, I guess now that I drive more in the city that does not help.

Well I have the O2 cheater on the rear O2 sensor due to the ORP but not the front one. I would not think it would be good to use it on the front one being that it reads A/F

Yah it stumbles like it is missing firing that is why I was thinking I still need to neck the plugs down a bit. My wires are new, FRPP 9mm ones and the car only has 17,700 on her so I did not think it could be the coil pack but I guess ya never know.

I deff need to check for vacuum leaks, what is the easiest way to do that?

Thanks for the help!

O and I canít remember what I logged but I believe it was everything, I will post what I logged when I get home from work (forgot the damn file)
Old 03-31-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 53,445, Level 100
Points: 53,445, Level: 100 Points: 53,445, Level: 100 Points: 53,445, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 45%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
You SHOULD NOT have to lower the gap on a plug for cruise or MPG the only time you should lower the gap is if you get a misfire at high RPM and high boost

You allways want to run the most gap you can for performance and MPG so lowering the gap is hurting you for anything other then high rpm above say 4500 to 5000 and 10 boost or more

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-31-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,493, Level 30
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
No bad MPG isnt normal with FI cars but with the crappy PW tune that they flod with fuel because they figured out that the IAT go through the roof because of poor design in there cooler system because the killed MANY SVT engines (they were warned) and instead of fixing the issue that make up for it with dumping a ton of fuel into it

A good tune can be fixed to get slightly better MPG cure the stall issue and increase the over all driveability

You just need to get a proper tune , PW is going to tell you (1) if you have ANY modded parts from stock then that is your stalling or running or bad MPG issue (2) There going to tell you they have thousands on miles on there tune and others that it has to be something wrong on your Focus , your wasting your time contacting them

Tom
Thanks for the info Tom,

Yah I really want to get down to CFM for them to Dyno tune it. I had a feeling that the stock PW tune is not all that great. I think CFM charges 800, is that about right? That includes the flasher I believe.

Would you mind looking over my data log to see if there are any major issues, I dont want to be driving around with a bad tune.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,493, Level 30
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
You SHOULD NOT have to lower the gap on a plug for cruise or MPG the only time you should lower the gap is if you get a misfire at high RPM and high boost

You allways want to run the most gap you can for performance and MPG so lowering the gap is hurting you for anything other then high rpm above say 4500 to 5000 and 10 boost or more

Tom
Yup right above 5000 is when I get stumble and backfire...I am guessing bad tune

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.