Question about boosting engine - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Stock

Fan#: 21396
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3; 03 ZX3 PZEV

Points 9,848, Level 66
Points: 9,848, Level: 66 Points: 9,848, Level: 66 Points: 9,848, Level: 66
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 Wagamos Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Question about boosting engine

Well ive had plans to boost my car for a while. Ive already started to piece together a kit so that I can save a bit of money and learn about turbocharging as I go. Im wondering if 87k miles is going to be to old of an engine to boost. I was considering buying a used engine with less miles on it. Im worried because when we boosted my friends geo prism, we blew oil out of all its seals because the engine was so old.

Also wondering what people think of the internal wastegate on the turbocharger that i already purchased. Im not looking for huge boost (7-8 psi) because i just want to be around 200whp and have a safe setup. I plan on intercooling for safety too. Here are a few pics and please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Oh would also like to say that this is a budget turbo lol. Im a college student but still want some boost and learn about it while i make the kit.

EDIT: Also wondering what size intercooler most of you guys are running. I need to get one soon so that i can start laying things out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54334
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 32 boosted2nr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
looks like a volvo turbo ....

anyway, 8lbs of boost (esp on that turbo) isn't going to get you near 200whp unless you raise the compression of the engine. However, the internal wastegate would be able to do 8psi (in fact, it should be set around there already). I have heard of people boosting engines with much more mileage than yours. Bigger question is, how well maintained was the engine. If it was well maintained and with that low of boost you should be fine. As far as intercoolers a small front mount will do fine or even a side mount (for budget reasons). One more item for your consideration, you need to reference your boost from the intake manifold b/c there will be a small pressure drop (loss) in the intercooler.

Parts/Service by: Massive Speed System Great Parts and Customer Service!
Past Big Projects: ATX/MTX Swap, Engine Build, Big Turbo Build (285whp)
Current Big Projects: Small AutoX Turbo Build
Old 03-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I beg to differ... 8psi will give you right at 80whp on top of what ever the engine already makes... which should put you real close to your 200whp goal.

I would also do a compression check on the engine to make sure that the rings can handle the boost.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
x2 do a compression check, if theyre all around 180-190 then youre good to go

its tough to know what the wastegate on that turbo will do, you can either search online or hook it up and try it lol

fwiw I will be playing with tuning on my 172k mile (right now, by then it will be 180k+) block before I build a block with better internals. Why? I dont care if I blow this one lol

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Stock

Points 9,848, Level 66
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Yeah I was kinda figuring if i blow this engine w/e i can always buy another one for around 400 dollars with about 1/2 the miles. Id just rather not if i could. Ok ill take a look at my compression. I dont quite remember but im pretty sure this wategate will support the 8 psi, i was just unsure about the style. I havent seen very many with this style.

What about intercooler size? I was thinking fmic, but ive also toyed around with watercooled. What do you guys think would be better? (reason for watercooled would be less piping to run and less lose of psi b/c of less piping). I do plan on relocating the battery to the hatch so that i have plenty of room for water cooled. Thanks so much for the responses so far!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Token Engin-nerd

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
WOW I am gonna look into air-water IC's a little further.... this guy went from IAT of 307 to 161 degrees F.....

http://www.key-ideas.com/AirWaterIC.htm

SUV this!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54334
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 32 boosted2nr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT View Post
I beg to differ... 8psi will give you right at 80whp on top of what ever the engine already makes... which should put you real close to your 200whp goal.

I would also do a compression check on the engine to make sure that the rings can handle the boost.
A stock zetec engine makes 120 stock?

I guess I won't argue with you as you have more experience with this.

BTW I didn't say he wouldn't get close (190ish), he said 200 and I said no. I should have been more clear, my bad.

Back to the question:
Ask xp0s3d, he runs air to water. See what his opinion is.

Parts/Service by: Massive Speed System Great Parts and Customer Service!
Past Big Projects: ATX/MTX Swap, Engine Build, Big Turbo Build (285whp)
Current Big Projects: Small AutoX Turbo Build
Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
Stock

Points 9,848, Level 66
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Well from what i read, along with the lower iat's than air to air intercoolers, because of the less amount of intake piping needed means less psi loss from the turbo to the intake manifold. I dont remember where i read it exactly but there was a ratio for each ft of piping = a certain drop in psi.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC

Fan#: 40962
What I Drive: 03 Red EvO & 03 TURBO SVT

Points 9,232, Level 64
Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 focusguy87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Little trick to test the WG. Hook up a nosel to your air compressor you a meter gauge that lets X PSI travel through the hose, slowly raise it from 3psi to 8,9,or 10 Watch for the WG to open when it does thats what it is set at.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
Token Engin-nerd

worse than feet of piping are bends, the more bends you have the more boost you lose. If not designed correctly, the air-water exchanger can be a huge pressure pit.

Ive seen people concerned about weight, but it seems to me that if you dont want or need to run an ice tank, you'll only need about a gallon of fluid.

And dont forget to throw some antifreeze in there during really hot and really cold times of the year... it would suck to have the water boil and the lines inside the exchanger burst and then you have water in your intake... lots of it... or to have it freeze and then you pump gets burned up.

SUV this!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.