Troubleshooting JRSC BBK - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

Points 15,083, Level 79
Points: 15,083, Level: 79 Points: 15,083, Level: 79 Points: 15,083, Level: 79
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Troubleshooting JRSC BBK

So I got the kit finished last night and she fired right up. When we relocated the power steering fluid resevoir, we did spill a lil fluid and it got on two of the pulleys. I put a little engine cleaner on the pulleys and wiped them with a rag, but I am wondering if maybe the belt is slipping just a tiny bit?

After driving her 17 miles or so to make sure everything was running ok and let the ECU get acquainted to the happenings in the engine, I decided to give it a go. Ended up with a whopping 5lbs of boost :/ Dont get me wrong, it felt better than NA, but I know at this altitude (6300 or so) I should see 7-8 lbs on the BBK. After a lil more driving, I finally got it up to about 7 or 8 psi. But since then its been staying at around 4-5 psi and hasnt gone any higher.

Gonna try a lil more engine cleaner on the pulleys to see if it helps. If anyone has any other ideas, please chime in. Here are some details:

JRSC w/ BBK

* Getting about 4-5 psi consistently

* Idles fine at 900 rpm...nice and even.

* One or two times today I romped on it and when I got to a light, it dipped momentarily below 900...didnt stall, but got right back up to 900 and stayed there.

oh yeah, I still get the occassional gas peddle vibration...even though I have the rubber hose over the line. If you have any recommendations on that one too, I would appreciate the feedback. thanks

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28855
What I Drive: 2004 CD silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 EnviedSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
if im not mistaken the 9 or 10lbs comes at redline....
Old 08-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
on thin air

Points 15,083, Level 79
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
oh, its been there, lol. but it seems to stay the same...thats what made me think that maybe my belt was slipping a lil.

I just went around and checked all the hoses and bolts...everything is tight. Added a clamp here, zip ties there, just to be overly cautious. Checked the pulleys and they feel dry, as does the belt....so I am sure that I am probably not slipping and that the power steering fluid spill might not be causing any slipping. I also redid my boost guage in case there might be a leak there and its giving false readings. will have to drive and see if it helped at all.

Tried to go get a smaller belt but it seems that 105.5 and 106.5 are my only options and the 105.5 was just a tad too short...the 106.5 seems to fit just fine.

One person on the jet mentioned that they got better performance after they broke it in a bit. Let's hope thats the case.

Still havent figured out the peddle vibration...will have to "use the search button"

Old 08-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
on thin air

Points 15,083, Level 79
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
ok, so no one has any input?

I went over the car a third time, added extra hose clamps, took a third round of checking all the mounting bolts and everything seems in order.

Could it be the tensioner pulley? And if so, wouldnt I hear the slippage in the sound of the supercharger? It seems to sound consistent with the rise in rpms
I step on it and it immediately hits 2-3psi but then hits 4-5 and just holds steady while the rmps rise.

its now idling great and runs great...just not seeing the boost I should be seeing.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2866
What I Drive: 02Focus ZTW, 02Focus SVT

Points 2,649, Level 31
Points: 2,649, Level: 31 Points: 2,649, Level: 31 Points: 2,649, Level: 31
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 jrpasmo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
maybe the internal bypass valve is leaking ?

added: also try to borrow another boost gauge from someone...or go to dyno they can measure boost for you
#4208/4788 Procharged SVT 10PSI : +-270/204 by Focus-Power,
N/A ZTW, 2.2 CRDI AWD Santa Fe MMRacing tuned
Old 08-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
on thin air

Points 15,083, Level 79
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
well, its brand new so I hope that its not leaking. I did check the clamps around the silicon hose where the bypass is...they are tight as well.

I think I may try a new tensioner pulley and a pressure test. Just gotta get one of those pressure testing do-hickeys.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 35118
What I Drive: 2003 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 txzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
vibrating gas pedal

i get the same thing on my pedal ever since i put my jrsc on my zx3 (not svt) and i even broke the panel where the cable hooks up to to keep in place on the throttle body (65mmtb) it has happened twice but all i do is reweld the damn thing...but if u find out what it is pm me or post on here......oo do u know if i could but a boost gauge on my supercharger it did not come with one so i was just wondering......>>late
Old 08-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Hmmmm...I would imagine if it was slipping you would maybe notice a sound or difference in sound. But that 4-5psi def isn't right, that's what I was pulling with no-BBK. I wonder if maybe you have a faulty bypass valve? BTW, I get the occasional dip in RPM's, esp with the AC on recently (95 with 100himity..yuck).

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
on thin air

Points 15,083, Level 79
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I think I might have figured out the vibration. You just have to play with the LOCATION of the rubber dampening hose. At first I had it up towards the throttle body, but last night I moved it down a little...more towards the bend over the radiator, and the vibration went away. So play with it a little and see.

As far as your boost gauge goes, you want to get a T and tap it into the line on the small nipple off the back of the manifold (the small one, not the larger brass one). Zip tie it TIGHT so you get a good reading. For the gauge light, you will want to find any ground...I grounded mine to the metal bracket that holds the fuse panel under the dash. Then tap the Orange/Blue line on the top left of the block that plugs into your light switch. (If you pop out the vent above the light switch, you can see it) I just T-tapped it. Now it dims with the rest of my gauges when i use the dimmer switch

Old 08-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27781
What I Drive: Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 19 pat247 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
sleestak, you should try a different boost guage before you make to many changes, the one you have could be faulty. I have been running my car without a boost guage since install last October. I had my vac lines ran as per OJs recomendation and my car ran good. Last week I purchased a FR boost guage and I noticed that when unhooked the needle was pointing at 2-3 in of vac instead of pointing inside the zero square.

After installing the guage, I am seeing 8 lbs of boost but getting various vac readings at idle, so I need to check all connections.

I am also using the 106.5 in belt because I could not get the 105.5 in belt on. No slipping as far as I can tell.

I get a CEL for code P0133 and I feel it is caused by the rich fuel setting in the tune. If I take a long road trip it will clear itself on the second tank of gas.

Good luck and hope you get yours figured out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.