Emissions test and Turbo - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10682
What I Drive: 04 ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 Damage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Emissions test and Turbo

I have been waiting to buy one last part to finally assemble and put together my turbo on my Zetec. But...one thing I took the family van down to the inspection station today to get it inspected. I watched them do the job and got a print out from them. And the one thing that I am wondering how I could possibly pass with a turbo is the OBDII ready test. Wouldnt a turbo install constantly make this part of the test fail. If I am understanding everything correctly.......the second o2 sensor would be turned off, and probably the EGR eliminated and turned off in the tune. Both causing it to fail the readiness test correct? So how are you guys getting around this. My inspection where I live is annually. So it would be a real hassle to return it back to stock once a year just to get it to pass. Maybe I should sell this stuff and settle for buying a powerworks instead? Thanks for any input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5840
What I Drive: Burned 300hp Turboed black 00 ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 FOCUS ZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Start looking for a friend that works at a shop, or find a half assed shop and just ask them to pass you for $20 more. I know for a fact if you find a shop that is owed by a Russians they don't car.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:53 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Instead of turning off the second O2 sensor, you could always get an O2 cheater, which will trick the car into believing that the cat is still there.

From what I've heard, tuning the EGR system out won't cause you to fail an OBD-II scan. The scan is only looking for fault codes related to the emissions control system, it doesn't check to make sure ancillary systems like EGR are on. If the computer says everything is OK, then you pass.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

I beelieve there is several things it looks for in order for the OBDII ready to be good. I only know of two for certain. One is second O2...the other is system evap to be working properly, Also the reason I mentioned EGR because I think it checks for EGR flow at certain times, and I thought that it counts this test towards pass/fail(by the ECM). Is there any others that you guys know of for sure. Maybe I could build the car with this in mind....Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20385
What I Drive: OLD:03 ZX3;NEW: SRT-4

FF Reputation: 50 focusfreak03 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
my egr isn't even hooked up, turned off, or plugged and i don't get a CEL. i figure that if it was a vital part to make the engine run then it would throw a CEL. if not then who gives a rats ass

Midwest Crew #14
Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
You could always leave the EGR system in place and just turn it off with the flasher (I believe that's possible,) or if its not you could get two tunes...one with EGR off and one with it on to pass emissions. With an O2 cheater on the second O2 sensor the car won't throw a CEL for the catalytic converter.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

It really has nothing at all to do with making the engine run. You could and must do pull the egr stuff off and throw it in the trash. But I am talking about simply passing an emmision test. If you turn things like the EGR off in the tune(which is what I assume you have done). It will run great, but I dont think the ECM will state that the OBDII readiness tests have all passed, becuase I think that is one of them. That is something that would not in anyway affect its performance but it would fail an emmision test. Atleast that is what I believe and I am trying to find out more.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
You could always leave the EGR system in place and just turn it off with the flasher (I believe that's possible,) or if its not you could get two tunes...one with EGR off and one with it on to pass emissions. With an O2 cheater on the second O2 sensor the car won't throw a CEL for the catalytic converter.

That sounds like a good idea. Ill talk to Ray before I go down to him and see if it is poissible. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: STi & Miata

Points 21,409, Level 92
Points: 21,409, Level: 92 Points: 21,409, Level: 92 Points: 21,409, Level: 92
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
yeah if they just do an obd scan and not a sniffer you can make it pass with the tune. they cant tell there off if the check engine light isnt on because of them. i think that is how it works, at least that is what i understand. i dont have emissions tests so im not sure.

turboturtlegarage.com
facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.