Poor Throttle Response - PWSC '02 Zetec - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25694
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX3

Points 1,492, Level 21
Points: 1,492, Level: 21 Points: 1,492, Level: 21 Points: 1,492, Level: 21
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 fusi0n Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Poor Throttle Response - PWSC '02 Zetec

I am having some issues with my 2002 ZX3 (Zetec with Powerworks SC). Maybe one of you can help:

A few minutes after starting my car (it happens at the same intersection on my way home from work every day), I experience poor throttle response, sometimes resulting in a stall. I can prevent the stall by letting off the gas pedal and then revving it a few times, but it still does not respond for a few seconds. It is almost like the throttle is not opening when it should.

I bought this car used and with the supercharger already installed so I do not know if something was improperly hooked up during the install. When this lapse happens, I do not experience any electrical failure- my gauges stay normal, my radio stays on, my wipers and headlights stay on.

I also have a Check Engine light; I ran a code reader on it and it read errors P0113 (IAT Sensor 1 Circuit High Input) and P1506 (Idle Air Control Overspeed Error). I am still trying to figure out exactly what these errors mean and how to fix them. I am assuming that they have something to do with the problem.

Help!

- Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47949
What I Drive: 2004 Saturn Ion Redline

FF Reputation: 1 jeepinbanditrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Sounds from the code like you may have a bad idle air controller. On the 4.0L Jeeps this is actually on the throttle body and it has a small movable needle that moves in and out to control the ammoutn of air gets though the throttle body with the throttle plate closed at idle.

They can get gummed up sometimes from intake gunk. I've had luck on some jeeps around here by spraying throttle body cleaner over the little needle hole.
ZETEC CREW #160
Old 06-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Points 1,492, Level 21
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Have you ever heard of it happening with that strange, reliable timing though? Literally every day, the exact same spot, and it will only happen the one time.

I'll check out the throttle body cleaner; thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
> Have you ever heard of it happening with that strange, reliable timing though?

When the engine is cold, before the O2 sensors have warned up, I beleive the engine runs "open loop," which means it does not tirm or adjust based on sensor readings. Once the engine reaches a certain temeprature, it swithces to "closed loop," where it adjusts factors such as fuel, based on the feedback from the sensors. This would explain the regular timing.

Now, this does not mean that the sensors, such as the O2 sensor, are defective. It simply means that the engine parameters when running under open loop conditions may help cover for the real problem, e.g., it likely is running richer under open loop conditions at the start.

As for the P0113 code, a google got this:

"P0113 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Input" indicates that the PCM has detected a signal from the IAT that is higher than 128°C, indicating that the IAT has an internal short.

And for the P1506:

"DTC P1506 is set when the PCM detects the engine idle speed is greater than the desired rpm. This is most commonly caused by a dirty or bad IAC valve. Cleaning the throttle body will, most likely, cure this problem."

A dirty or bad IAC would certainly give the stalling behavior you have described.

Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Points 1,492, Level 21
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thanks a lot, I'll check it out tomorrow and see if it works.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43460
What I Drive: 2007 pitch black zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 16 zx32nr Great Standing Member
yeah the IAC is a very common prob in fords, especially the explorers. i have heard of lots of probs with foci having the prob too, it kinda causes phantom problems as well, like one day it will do it and the next it wont
Zetec Crew #175
REP WHEN REP IS DUE
shorty header, magnaflow 2 1/2 catback, 65mm TB, pipercross viper, cfm pully set, sct reflash, steeda STS, screemin deamon coil, livewires, and a damn good driver
Old 06-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Points 1,492, Level 21
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Update:

I bought a new Idle Air Control Valve from Advance Auto Parts and installed it. Now the car is making a crazy "humming" noise when it idles. I finished the install 20 minutes ago.

I turn the key and it seems to have a lot of difficulty starting. Sometimes it just dies, sometimes it stays running at a solid idle (at least that part is fixed) and makes that horrendous humming sound. If I give it any gas, the humming noise goes away and then comes back when the RPMs return to idle.

The code reader is now only reading the P0113 error- the P1506 is gone. I am not sure what my next step is here.

The humming noise is definitely coming from the IAC valve. It sounds muffled with the filter is on, and when the filter is removed it gets much louder and is coming from where the IAC is.

Can anyone help me out here? Did I miss something?

- Paul
Old 06-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Points 1,492, Level 21
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Another Update:

I took it off and put it back on, and now the humming noise starts at 2500 RPM. The code reader is still reading P0113, and now P1504 as well.

It is drivable now.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26328
FF Reputation: 1 Jerseyboy Good Standing Member
Check and make sure your IAC valve is oriented in the right direction. It's a common mistake to install it upside down. Check the PW installation manual for proper orientation. Also, it sounds like your IAT sensor is bad, also not uncommon with the PWSC. Hope this helps.

Jersey
Old 06-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Points 1,492, Level 21
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Advance Auto sold me the wrong IAC valve.

The valve they sold me was for the SPI, not the Zetec. Despite the fact that I told them repeatedly it was the Zetec. It looks different but not different enough that I would assume it was the wrong part. I figured it was just the difference between OEM and aftermarket.

Correct valve is currently unavailable from the manufacturer for some reason. This is getting way too complicated.

I'll look into the IAT too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.