Turbos stability ! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2004, 12:02 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5528
What I Drive: Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6l

FF Reputation: 1 mahore Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Turbos stability !

Hi,

My name's Mahore and I'm from Tahiti, French Polynesia. I would like to know if turbos are more fragile due to the tropical weather : hot (approx 30°) and humide all year long. We don't have winters here.

I'm planning to buy a Ford Focus RS but I need to know if the turbo will last in these weather conditions. If no, I'm still planing to buy a Ford Focu SVT and put a supercharger (stronger than turbos from what I've heard!).

Thanx for answering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
ses
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1095
What I Drive: '00 2.0L Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ses Good Standing Member
I don't see why a supercharger should be stronger than a turbo, just don't up the boost way too much... I don't remember reading many accounts of a turbo breaking except because it was kept at too high boost for too long, and the resulting heat broke the oil seals and they start breaking down after that pretty fast, unless the problem is attended too.

Anyway, if you have the means to get a focus rs, I'd do that much rather than getting an svt focus, since the focus rs is a factory turbo car, which is in most cases preferably to some homebrew supercharger setup, especially when the car in question is the focus rs, with its quaife lsd, incredible handling and stunning looks.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:02 PM   #3
Banned

Fan#: 371
FF Reputation: 1 Vassili95 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Re: Turbos stability !

Quote:
Originally posted by mahore
Hi,

My name's Mahore and I'm from Tahiti, French Polynesia.
Tu parles francais??....comment tu vas faire pour importer une Focus RS?....si tu veux mon avis, tu n'auras pas de probleme avec le turbo....du moment que t'en prends soin, tu devrais etre bon..........

Told him it should be fine.......I guess as long as he doesn't stress the engine too much by driving 1,000 of miles per day, I think you should be fine.........Of course Tahiti is nowhere close to the size of Texas or Cali so I think you will be fine...............

Also asked him how he would import the RS.....

Peace.....................
Old 03-29-2004, 04:54 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4589
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TryToFocus Good Standing Member
Ohhhh, duuuuuude!!! If you can get an RS, then by God get one! I'd be much more confident in an RS than a supercharged SVT. To me, there's no comparison between factory FI and bolt-on FI as far as peace of mind is concerned. I am so jealous!

My only suggestion is to use Red Line lubricants, especially the motor oil. If I had a turbo and/or was worried about harsh conditions, that's what I would use in my ZX3.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Get the RS and have fun.
Just keep an eye on the temp gauge when your in stop n go traffic.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:41 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5574
What I Drive: 2000 ZX351 Malibu Blue

FF Reputation: 1 Mr.Pressurized Good Standing Member
One other consideration is intercooling. A Jackson Racing supercharger has no provision for intercooling. The Vortech unit as well as any turbo can be easily intercooled. Other than that, there are no special considerations for turbo vs. supercharger durability based on your location or climate.

Because of your location, I would recommend the RS simply because of the warranty. You do not want to try and source parts from other countries when you break something.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.