Buying 2007 ST (Cnd) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34458
What I Drive: '07 ST, '07 Can-Am Outlander 800XT

FF Reputation: 1 Gravter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Buying 2007 ST (Cnd)

Hello fellow Focus lovers,

I think I'm finally gonna be buying a 2007 ST (Canadian model).
I'm still hesitating on a few options as follow:

- Color : Either Black or CD Silver
- Seats : Standard or Leather/Suede
- Moonroof or not
- Side airbags or not
- Electrochromic Compass mirror w/out homelink, with temp
- Trip Tunes
etc...

So basically, pretty much every option ;)

I like Liquid Grey but my wife's ZX5 is that color.
I like her standard seats, but are the leather/suede better? Why no lumbar option?
I like the look of having a moonroof, but how practical is it? Leaks anyone? A few of my friends have monnroofs in other kind of cars and say they could live without it no problem. Some of them have leaks too!
Side air bags I guess are a good safety option, better than having a moonroof, especially with my two boys.
The mirror is kinda neat, but I guess it's more of a gadget than anything else. Any have it? Like it? Worth it?
Trip tunes... I have an iPod so this sounds like a good option.... but I might simply replace the radio with a new Jensen VM9021TS head unit.

I was gonna get a 2006-07 sel v6 Fusion, but decided to save a few bucks and get two toys for the price of one.
Here is my other toy coming soon : http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-CA/Vehicles/Renegade/

Thanks for your input.

P.S. What kind of hitch can I put on the ST so I can haul my ATV :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5254
What I Drive: n/a

FF Reputation: 1 firemanfrank Good Standing Member
Re: Buying 2007 ST (Cnd)

Quote:
Originally posted by Gravter
Hello fellow Focus lovers, I think I'm finally gonna be buying a 2007 ST
Hello Gravter, Welcome!

Quote:
I like Liquid Grey but my wife's ZX5 is that color.
That's personal preference, I like the Black or Infra-Red w/SAP1.

My car:

Quote:
I like her standard seats, but are the leather/suede better? Why no lumbar option?
I live in the Northeast, so to me Leather=Cold! Lumbar supports? Seats work fine for me.

Quote:
I like the look of having a moonroof, but how practical is it?
Nice to have on a mid-summer's day I guess, but I wanted to keep the cost down. I don't have it.

Quote:
Side air bags I guess are a good safety option, better than having a moonroof, especially with my two boys.
I don't have them, but I'm also not married and don't have kids. If you can afford them, get it!

Quote:
The mirror is kinda neat, but I guess it's more of a gadget than anything else. Any have it? Like it? Worth it?
I think I have the heated mirrors? Got my car just coming out of winter, so can't really guess as to their overall value.

Quote:
Trip tunes... I have an iPod so this sounds like a good option.... but I might simply replace the radio with a new Jensen VM9021TS head unit.
If you already have a head to go in, then just get the basic radio. I was looking for an SAP1 ST, and there was only one within a hundred mile radius of my home and it didn't have the upgraded radio.

Otherwise, get the best factory set up (no muss, no fuss, no cutting).

Quote:
What kind of hitch can I put on the ST so I can haul my ATV :)
Dunno, the only thing I haul is me!

Also, you might want to set aside $1,000 for a CAI, catback exhaust, and MarcyMotorsports soon to be released intake manifold.

You'll still be emissions legal, and have about 180hp!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Nice lookin' car frank.

When i mentionned mirror, I meant the one inside the car (rear view).
It can come equipped with compass, temp display and homelink.

thanks for the aftermarket options... sounds good. Just wondering what I'll do first. I was maybe wanting different wheels, like 17's.

will take all these into consideration and will be posting pics if/when I get it :)

thx

Keep 'em coming.
ST Crew #55
Team Duratec #62
Best 1/4 mile Time *stock* 15.700 @ 85.544
Best 1/4 mile speed *stock* 87.682
Old 10-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Nice lookin' car frank.
Thanks!

Quote:
When i mentionned mirror, I meant the one inside the car (rear view). It can come equipped with compass, temp display and homelink.
LOL Mine's just a plain 'ol mirror.

Quote:
I was maybe wanting different wheels, like 17's.
Good idea.

Also, I forgot to mention getting a spring lowering kit. ST definitely sits up too high, so lowering her an inch or so should be EXTREMELY helpful to her handling prowess.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, lowering is definetly an option...
Just can't go too low, otherwise I will have to "plow" through the snow ;)

P.S. I'm gonna try to get some winter tires and rims included in the deal.
My wife's '04 ZX5 haddles great in the snow with proper tires.
ST Crew #55
Team Duratec #62
Best 1/4 mile Time *stock* 15.700 @ 85.544
Best 1/4 mile speed *stock* 87.682
Old 10-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
I'm gonna try to get some winter tires and rims included in the deal. My wife's '04 ZX5 haddles great in the snow with proper tires.
Living in the Northeast USA, I can tell you that I had no problems with the stock ST's 16" All-Season tires. Now if you want to put on 4 snows, that's cool.

For me, the vehicle's tires was one of the selling points of the car. My previous '04 SRT-4 came with 3 season tires. I had to buy a set rims/tires for the winter, and changing them in/out every season got old quick ... LOL

Also, here's a pic of my ST's window sticker for reference:

Old 10-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
Retired Focus Addict

Fan#: 18779
What I Drive: 2013 5.0

FF Reputation: 49 Ripped_06_ST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Frank has given some key info about the options you want... but I'll add a few things since my car is pretty much fully loaded except for the the street appearance package and moonroof.

About the color you want... the black is nice but unless your willing to buff and polish and wax your car all the time I wouldn't get the black. I personally wanted the CD silver but the liquid grey was my second choice and thats what was available. I say get the silver.

The standard seats are nice, but I liked the leather option the Focus offered so I got it... the black leather with the suede inserts is really nice. Frank also made a great statement about it being cold and leather isn't a good match, I agree so thats why the heated seats was also a must for me and they heat up quick and they get pretty hot and it's the whole seat that gets hot.

The moonroof option you are contemplating over is a very touchy subject for me, I absolutely wanted a moonroof but the dealer that I went to didn't have an ST with a moonroof... I got the one that was as loaded as I could get at that dealer. If there was one with a moonroof I would have gotten it hands down. But I am trying for some good times at the track and those moonroofs are really heavy so I am somewhat glad that I didn't get one. Although, I am kicking myself in the butt because right after we took possesion of the car I looked online at a dealer about 20 miles away and there it was, the ST I wanted... CD silver, leather, moonroof, audiophile system, but it didn't have side airbags which was an option I wanted also. So if you are going to want some good times with that car on the days you go to the track then I would say don't get it, but if you just want a peppy everyday driver, get the moonroof.

With the side airbags and you having two kids, get them, they are a great saftey option and I wanted them for the extra safety.

The other two options of the rear view mirror and the trip tunes, I dunno anything about them since those options aren't offered down here so I am not going to say get them or don't get them.

I hope I helped a little
ST Crew #16
Think adoption before buying, give a needy animal a loving and caring home!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Retired Focus Addict

And just be careful about modding, it gets addicting... I have spent over $4,000.00 on just what seems to be a few things.

I have:
-F2 intake
-Cosworth header
-Focussport sportexhaust
-SCT XCAL 2 tuned by Wayne
-Tinted taillights
-Focussport fiberglass front lip
-Steeda STS
-Tinted windows
-I had the Steeda billet grilles but since took them out and sold them
- MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE but those are some of the more expensive mods that I have on my car... but trust me it's worth every penny and every minute you have invested in your car...
ST Crew #16
Old 10-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33099
What I Drive: 2006 Focus ZX4 ST with SAP 1, 1999 Corvette Coupe, 1982 Corvette Crossfire T-top, 2004 F-150 XLT LB

FF Reputation: 1 Max_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And next up. . .

I have the CD Silver, Moonroof, leather, Audiophile system, side airbags, traction control, pretty much everything EXCEPT heated seats which I would have gladly paid for if they were included (keeps the g/f happy).

Just today it was in the mid 70's and I was cruising along with the windows down and the moonroof open. Not as nice as a targa but still worth the $700 to me.

I also have the SAP. Frank and I are both buyers who would not have bought this car had it not been for the SAP on the sedan.

I like CD silver because it doesn't really show the dirt unless you get within 10 feet of it. Matt's Liquid Grey would have been my other choice. Black is hard to keep clean, especially for a daily driver. Red is nice but if you get the SAP package, expect to attract the attention of many law enforcement officers!

No matter what you get, my recommendation is to SKIP all the options much like Frank did with the exception of the side airbags -- they just plain pay for themselves. Everything else is nice to have but ultimately you don't need it. These cars depreciate VERY quickly. A used '06 ST is going for around $11-$12k at auction. The more options you pick, the more depreciation you have. That $700 sunroof might be worth $200 when you drive off the lot (ignore KBB and Edmunds -- we're talking reality.)

The leather is nice. The suede inserts really keep you planted.

The stock wheels are boring and really take away from the sporting nature of this car, in my opinion. I replaced mine with 17" SVT 5-spokes and BFG geForce KDW2 tires. Nice grippy combination. Ultimately, however, the stockers are round and come with reasonable Pirelli rubber and will do the job just fine.

The audiophile system is great but not excellent. It doesn't get super loud but it's loud enough. The fidelity is good but not excellent. It's a solid factory system but there are better after market solutions for probably a bit more money. For $795, it's not a bad deal but I don't find that it's $795 better than the one that was included in my F150 which is just a CD/Cassette head unit with 4 speakers.

The one thing that stands out about the Focus is the "fun to drive" factor. It's not the fastest and it's not the slowest. It's not the sexiest or the ugliest. But from a value standpoint for a car you plan to keep for a while, it's a sweet little ride.

I now have 10k miles on mine (since March) and I've had no issues with it. Just fun, fun, fun. Fuel economy has ranged from sub-20 MPG to 30 MPG. Yes, sub-20. Spirited driiving and >75 MPH on the interestates will suck gas. But I followed that up with 65 MPH driving for the next tank and hit the 30 MPG mark.

Oil changes are a little more expensive because of the synthetic blend oil but you can increase the interval to 5000 miles or so.

If you like to drive, you'll love the Focus. If you're looking to trade very couple of years, a Honda might be a better choice.
ST Crew #34
I swore I wasn't going to modify this car. . .
Steeda SRI, Focus Sport strut tower brace, SVT 17" 5 spokes, BFG geForce T/A KDW2s, Steeda STS, Silverstars
Old 10-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Retired Focus Addict

Yeah, I agree with Jerry. The audiophile system was petty much worth it, the only thing I don't like about it is when you turn it up pretty loud, the bass starts to go away and the vocals start to become more present... sounds like you have all the bass turned off and it gets annoying...
ST Crew #16

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.