Few questions about Foci and engines - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
PhoenixAshen

Fan#:
Few questions about Foci and engines

First off a little about me. I'm a 20 year old college student, and I currently own a 2004 Mustang GT. For various reasons, I'm selling the mustang and have focused on the Focus (*rimshot*) as my next car.

My first question is, personally, would you rather buy a 2004 SVT Focus with some miles on it, or a new '06-'07 ST? If I can sell the mustang outright I have a choice between the two, if I have to trade it then I'm fairly certain I'll be buying an ST due to availability.

Another question, is the 2.3 Duratec at all related to the 2.3 I4 in the Mazda3? My girlfriend has a Mazda3 with the 2.3 and it got me wondering, since Ford and Mazda have a pretty close relationship, though I don't know of any drivetrain parts being shared between the two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

Points 32,974, Level 100
Points: 32,974, Level: 100 Points: 32,974, Level: 100 Points: 32,974, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 201 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
the 2.3L duratec is shared between the mazda 3 and the Focus starting in mid '03 in green states and in '05 everywhere. it is a mazda designed engine, the only difference is that the head on the mazda is different, it includes variable valve timing which slightly ups horsepower to 160 but somehow makes it .5 second slower in the quarter. Definitly go with the duratec motor if you can, they have been found to be MUCH more reliable than the zetec found in older foci. Based on styling I am a much bigger fan of the SVT or any first gen body styles over the later ones so my buy would be the SVT.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 09-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,157, Level 99
Points: 29,157, Level: 99 Points: 29,157, Level: 99 Points: 29,157, Level: 99
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you can find a used Duratec go that route, but in your financial situation- I'd opt for an SVT over a new ST just for the price difference.

The SVT doesn't feel as fast as the ST, but most of that has to do with the gearing in the 6 spd gearbox on the SVT. The SVT will definately get you better fuel economy also because it takes about 10k miles before a D23 (ST motor) starts to get better than 23 city. After that it's about the same as the SVT, but I have seen SVT's posting 2-3 better mpg. Also, the SVT already has a good suspension, and the only thing you might want to consider is replacing the heavy factory aluminum wheels with something lighter. Any body parts for the early body style Foci will be easier to find, and cheaper. Options are limited for 05+ Focis- which happen to be the ones that all have Duratec motors in them.

I hope that helped--- good luck on finding a good car!!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

Points 7,383, Level 57
Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by warneej
Definitly go with the duratec motor if you can, they have been found to be MUCH more reliable than the zetec found in older foci.
i dont know about that. the engine in my car has never given me any problems at all(though everything else has). also, if you will read some of b16sir's(who works for ford) posts then you will see that the zetec in the focus has been much more reliable than the new duratec.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

Points 10,140, Level 67
Points: 10,140, Level: 67 Points: 10,140, Level: 67 Points: 10,140, Level: 67
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by bigjordan
i dont know about that. the engine in my car has never given me any problems at all(though everything else has). also, if you will read some of b16sir's(who works for ford) posts then you will see that the zetec in the focus has been much more reliable than the new duratec.
Please enlighten us. I haven't seen any of those posts.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

Points 7,383, Level 57
Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Egz
Please enlighten us. I haven't seen any of those posts.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showt...threadid=98342
Old 09-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

Points 10,140, Level 67
Points: 10,140, Level: 67 Points: 10,140, Level: 67 Points: 10,140, Level: 67
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The reason they replace more Duratec engines than Zetec engines is because the lower end is not serviceable. There is no method for taking apart the short block. Ford just wants to replace the entire engine.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
PhoenixAshen

Fan#:
Wait, there's no way to seperate the bottom end? So forged internals later on is out of the question on the Duratec?

To whynotthinkwhynot, the price can be considered a non-issue. They're close enough not to matter at this point. I just wish I could get a 6-speed 2.3 '07 ZX3, then it wouldn't even be a question besides where to sign.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #9
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,157, Level 99
Points: 29,157, Level: 99 Points: 29,157, Level: 99 Points: 29,157, Level: 99
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAshen
Wait, there's no way to seperate the bottom end? So forged internals later on is out of the question on the Duratec?
No, that can be done, however Ford is not going to allow dealers to put that much labor and time into it when the cost of producing the motor is less. The bad blocks are probably shipped back to Ford.

The only problem I can think of for putting a D motor back together is that there is no key in the crank, crank sprockets, or cam sprockets. The sprockets and main pulley are held in place by friction using diamond coatings- if I read that right. Because there are no markings for timing of any sort- not even a bright link like on Nissan chains- the chances for a novice to totally screw up their motor is very easy. There are tools available from Ford for lining up the parts- but errors can be made if you do not know how motors work.

If you know what I mean, I'd say it's a lot like rebuilding a rotary engine. You must have some knowledge, and double check yourself.

Forged internals are available for the motors, but Hi-Boost and Focus Sport are already putting 8 psi to stock internals without any issues- SO FAR. If you're going all out full power drag race, I don't see why you want a standard transmission. Lentech builds ATX transmissions that would make a more reliable bracket car, and by the time you go over 300 hp the time it takes to shift will take more from your ET than the 15 hp that the torque converter sucks up.

If money is not an object, then go drive some cars. You can get a 5 spd ZX3 with the 2.3 motor if you look for one for long enough. There might even be one for sale on this Forum. The only years those were available were from 03-04. You can also do what I might do in the future- if I don't go turbo- which is just find a wrecked ST and transplant the motor. The motors are fairly cheap in junkyards, and if you can get into insurance auctions- even cheaper.

Best of Luck.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #10
PhoenixAshen

Fan#:
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought later that it was probably more like Mazda did recently with the RX8. Just easier for the dealer to replace the entire assembly and the manufacturer refurbishes the old engine in house.

I'm not big into drag racing, though I did some with my mustang for a while. For at least the next couple years this car needs to be reliable transportation first and foremost. I would mainly be interested in forged internals to try and get a few more RPM out of the engine reliably if I decide to delve that deep into it later on.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.