California files lawsuit against GM, FORD, TOYOTA for smog??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8616
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-red ZX3 w/ 2.3PZEV 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 cliff4ever Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
California files lawsuit against GM, FORD, TOYOTA for smog???

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California filed a global warming lawsuit on Wednesday against Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Toyota Motor Corp. and three other automakers, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.

State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.

The lawsuit also names Chrysler Motors Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler, and the North American units of Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd..

Where do I begin with the stupidity here? Can I sue MacDonalds for being fat, but oh wait, that's already happening. What's happening to this country. Doesn't eh Gov. of California drive a Hummer?

Mod's checklist: K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla 2.5" cat-back, SVT suspension kit upgrade w/prothane spring isolator and sway bar bushing kit, Focus Central strut tower brace, Steeda short throw w/ Roush shift knob, clear grill turn signals w/PIAA Xtreme White, clear corners w/PIAA Xtreme White, PIAA Xtreme White Plus headlights, Nokya Arctic White fogs, LONG LIVE THE CAMARO 2008!

Best 1/4 mile: 16.19 @86 MPH
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yeah...
So then where are all the lawsuits against the coal fired power plants, natural gas fired power plants, and numerous chemical and industrial plants??!!
They produce millions of tons more pollutants than cars do!!

This is friggin' rediculous.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15906
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3dr EAP

Points 1,039, Level 17
Points: 1,039, Level: 17 Points: 1,039, Level: 17 Points: 1,039, Level: 17
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 fwdsvtowner Good Standing Member
this is the stupidest thing i've seen in a long time!! how can they even have scientific proof that this is even happening? i've read articles that say the planet naturally produces signifficantly more CO2 and other greenhouse gasses than all the internal combustion engines combined!! then there are theories that the planet will actually start cooling down instead of getting warmer... so who can you really believe? i guess they decided to kick some of the auto makers while they are down... here's a f'in idea: ride a bike!

my hope is that this lawsuit will fail miserably... or the BIG ONE can strike and Cali will slide off into the ocean and save everybody a lot of trouble! haha
Build #1111
Old 09-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Banned

Fan#: 35383
What I Drive: 2002 SVT-Piranha edition

FF Reputation: 17 Future SVT rider Great Standing Member
Man i wish my SVT could smell the rose and still be peformant.However that's unlickely to happen.

I can't blame them sorry.Pollution when you are in the traffic is not fun.California has so much cars on the road.They're overwhelmed.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^^The cars are still not the majority of the problem.
Pollution credits passed around between corporations so they don't have to update their older plants comes to mind...
Old 09-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
What about all the Moo cows farts that no one ever tells you about causing this effect on the atmosphere.lol

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
Points 11,708, Level 71
Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
But wait...shouldn't you guys be touting the line that global warming is a myth because that's what the energy companies are telling you, the same way that the tobacco industry said that cigarettes are safe back in the 50's when the suregon general's warning was put on all tobacco packaging? And that even if its true you don't care because it either won't effect you or you like warm weather?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #8
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,551, Level 99
Points: 28,551, Level: 99 Points: 28,551, Level: 99 Points: 28,551, Level: 99
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I might believe this if the state was sponsoring some kind of floral initiative to grow more trees in order to combat greenhouse gasses or something. It's just not happening. I think Arnie was one of the first people to order an H-1, and I think it is closer to the military version with a diesel motor. Of course, he might have a different one now.

Conflicting and confusing reports are the result of a human desire to resist anything that doesn't fit what they want to believe. Throughout modern history you can find that every great debate of a time period was riddled with conflicting reports. The "truth" is defined more by which is recorded as the winner than anything scientific. Like if green thinkers lose out to corporate media control in the next 20 years or so because the economy goes up and nobody cares because everyone is making money. Then we'll see more and more reports about how everything is ok, the climate is not changing, Exxon completely cleans up their oil spills, Greenpeace becomes a terrorist organization, and all these storms are just normal. Just imagine if Martin Luther King Jr. had not been shot, and if the white supremacist mentality gained power- how many people would be willing to stand up against "scientific research" that African Americans were mentally inferior?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5430
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 aczj Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SkaAddict
But wait...shouldn't you guys be touting the line that global warming is a myth because that's what the energy companies are telling you, the same way that the tobacco industry said that cigarettes are safe back in the 50's when the suregon general's warning was put on all tobacco packaging? And that even if its true you don't care because it either won't effect you or you like warm weather?
Yes we should, since global warming is myth. It's got nothing to do with what "energy companies are telling you". It's got to do with the facts. Like there has been negligable changes in average temp over the last 150 years. Any change that might be there, less than .3 degrees or so, can be attributed to the dynamics of nature and weather and the universe in general. Nothing is static so yes the climate will change eventually whether we burn oil or not. Somehow the climate managed to change drastically millions of years ago during the Ice Age, but I forgot Exxon-Mobil and George Bush made that happen too. If we can't do anything to stop weather patterns such as hurricanes what makes you think we can do anything to start them.

This lawsuit is just another attempt to advance the left-wing agenda of more and bigger goverment and less personal freedom and the push to end capitalism, because that means survival of the fitist and the lefties and terrified of that.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
Points 11,708, Level 71
Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
But wait...according to your hard-core right wing views, how could there have been an ice age millions of years ago when the bible clearly and irrefutably shows that the planet is approximately 6500 years old?

Everything you've said is the same set of lies used by the energy industry when they spin global warming. Any scientist who has researched climate change (and isn't on the payroll of Exxon-Mobil or other energy company) will tell you that its happening and its happening because of us. Studies show that the global temperature has been rising along with the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere since the mid-50s (probably longer but nobody was keeping track of it before the 1950s), in addition, scientists can tell how long a winter lasted going back thousands of years by looking at a core sample from the polar ice caps simlilar to how you can tell how old a tree is (and how wet or dry a summer was) by counting its rings and looking at how wide they are, and again, in the past 100 or so years winters have been getting shorter while summers are getting longer. Glaciers are receeding worldwide, structures built above the arctic circle on permafrost are collapsing because ground that has been frozen for centuries is starting to thaw, and again, all of this is linked to increasing levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. This isn't directly linked with the recent actions of Exxon-Mobil and George Bush (although Bush hasn't done anything to help matters, like letting companies trade pollution credits so they don't have to refit their old plants to meet current enviromental standards) but rather a century of human impact on the planet. Are we to blame for everything? No, but we have contributed to the problem significantly, and unless things change we're going to be in a world of hurt in the next 10-20 years.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.