Ford To Offer Employee Buyouts - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Ford To Offer Employee Buyouts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/...i_ge/ford_cuts

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. plans to offer buyout packages to more than 75,000 of its employees, a United Auto Workers union official said Thursday.

The union told its members about the plan after discussion with Ford on the proposal, said Chris Kimmons, president of UAW Local 919 at the Norfolk, Va., assembly plant.

The buybacks are aimed at helping Ford cut costs as its sales shrink under fierce competition from more fuel-efficient models from Asian automakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21495
What I Drive: 2002 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 beatfocie Good Standing Member
alot of shit my mom got screwed by her deal
Old 09-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060915/...i_ge/ford_cuts

Ford slashes 10,000 more jobs, 2 plants

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. is cutting more than 10,000 additional salaried jobs, offering buyouts to all of its 75,000 U.S. hourly workers and shutting down two more plants in a plan to end financial losses and remake itself into a smaller, more competitive car company.

ADVERTISEMENT

The company said in a news release Friday that it would shutter a stamping plant in Maumee, Ohio, in 2008 and an engine plant in Essex, Ontario, in 2007. That is in addition to previous plans for 14 plant closures.

In addition, an assembly plant in Norfolk, Va., will close in 2007, a year earlier than previously announced and will see a shift reduction in January. Also, an assembly plant in St. Paul, Minn., which is scheduled to close in 2008, will have a shift reduction in 2007.

Ford said it would complete its cuts of about 30,000 hourly jobs by the end of the 2008, four years ahead of its previous target. Ford also said it already had cut 4,000 salaried positions in the first quarter of this year.

The new cuts would reduce Ford's total North American work force by 29 percent, from the current level of about 130,000 to about 92,000 by the end of 2008.

Ford's method of slashing its work force is similar to cuts made earlier this year by rival General Motors Corp. At GM, 34,410 hourly workers have accepted buyouts or early retirement offers this year. Figures on white-collar cuts were not available.

By 2008, Ford's North American factory capacity will be reduced by 26 percent compared to 2005 levels, the company said in the release.

It said the plan would cut about $5 billion in operating costs, mainly by offering early retirement and buyout packages to all hourly workers and to white-collar employees. Ford plans to expand buyout and early retirement offers to the company's U.S. hourly work force of more than 75,000 as part of the plan.

"The simple fact is that the business model that served us in North America for decades no longer works," Mark Fields, Ford's president of the Americas, said during a morning teleconference.

Todd Wiech, a 46-year-old Ford worker in St. Paul, said he's wrestling with his options, which include the buyout, going back to school or trying to transfer to the Dearborn, Mich., truck plant, where Ford plans to add a third shift to make F-150s.

He said it wouldn't be easy to walk away from 18 years with the company.

"Myself people that were hired in 1988 it hits us pretty hard because we've got a lot of time invested with Ford and we're getting a little older to go out looking," said Wiech, whose daughter will graduate from high school in two years.

Ford said it expects to achieve full-year profitability in its North American automotive operations no earlier than 2009. The company had previously pledged to make money in North America in 2008.

It also plans to suspend the quarterly dividend on its common and Class B stock in the fourth quarter of this year.

Ford shares fell 63 cents, or 7 percent to $8.47 in premarket trading on Friday. Its shares have traded in a 52-week range of $6.06 to $10.09.

Ford lost $1.4 billion during the first half of this year and is under pressure from Wall Street to make further cuts and roll out new cars and trucks more quickly.

In July, the company pledged to accelerate its "Way Forward" restructuring plan, which when introduced in January called for the up to 30,000 job cuts as well as closing 14 facilities by 2012. The new cuts bring the total number of plant closures to 16.

"These actions have painful consequences for communities and many of our loyal employees," Executive Chairman Bill Ford said in the restructuring release. "But rapid shifts in consumer demand that affect our product mix and continued high prices for commodities mean we must continue working quickly and decisively to fix our business."

The company indicated that it is ready to accept a smaller slice of the market, focusing on profitable sales instead of sheer volume. It said that, with investments in new products and quality improvements, it expects market share of about 14 to 15 percent going forward.

This year, the company is forecasting Ford, Lincoln and Mercury market share in the low-16 percent range. The country's second-largest automaker has seen its market share decline steadily in recent years from about 26 percent in the early 1990s.

"Turnarounds of this magnitude succeed when capacity and costs are aligned with a realistic expectation of demand," Chief Executive Alan Mulally said in a statement. Mulally, who was named to the post last week, led a turnaround at the commercial jetmaking division of Boeing Co.

The company also said it would roll out new or significantly upgraded cars and trucks in 70 percent of its Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brands, expanding in growing areas such as car-based crossovers. At the same time, Ford said it will try to maintain its lead in the truck segment by introducing a new F-150 that will go on sale in 2008.

Ford has acknowledged a need for drastic changes in its product lineup. Like other U.S. automakers, its bottom line is heavily dependent on high-margin trucks and large SUVs, but recently consumer preferences have shifted toward more fuel-efficient vehicles. Ford says the speed of that shift caught it by surprise.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Official release from Ford

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=24261
Old 09-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by beatfocie
alot of shit my mom got screwed by her deal
What is that supposed to mean?

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29659
What I Drive: WRB WRX 2004

FF Reputation: 7 boca202 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
It means Ford is in real trouble and still won't bring the MK2 to the US

Get a Life = Get a Hatch
Old 09-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
HATCHBACKS DON'T SELL WELL IN THE US. THe Mk2 is not going to get them out of the red. Jesus.

Maybe you should go run the company, since you seem so qualified and full of solutions.

I was reffering to the reference to the "Mom".

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
4.0 makes it go

Fan#: 32321
What I Drive: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

FF Reputation: 9 dazada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I think the real problem is, Americans don't know what they want. Americans want giant cars, but then we want to complain about how much fuel they use after we buy them. We can't be happy with small cars, because, well frankly they're small. We want big cars. America is a confusing place indeed.

Rock on.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
S2
Retired Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by pspringe
What is that supposed to mean?
Assuming she is probably an employee at Ford and her buyout package was one of the lower ones in the price range....

I dunno, that was my assumption.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.