Sometimes fate sticks it to you.. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,369, Level 99
Points: 28,369, Level: 99 Points: 28,369, Level: 99 Points: 28,369, Level: 99
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sometimes fate sticks it to you..

Well, so I didn't take anyone's advice about not modding the car until the warranty ran out (100k miles). I was merely trying to get the best fuel economy I could out of the car. At any rate, I was going this morning to a muffler shop to have the factory cat welded back in the MBRP exhaust. At a stoplight, I pushed in the clutch, went to 2nd, and basically got nothing. It grabs a little, but not completely. I pulled over, called Ford Roadside Assistance (1800241FORD), and had my car towed to the dealership. The tow guy warned me that they wouldn't have a loaner vehicle for me, and he was right. I asked the service guy if an exhaust system or an air filter (Stealth CAI) would void my warranty, and he said it depended on what the problem was.

To make matters worse, I've been avoiding work (union electrician) because I didn't want to get caught up in a job with a good company and not be able to go to an investment course my father and I are supposed to be going to on Sept 14, 3 days from now. This wouldn't be so bad if the course was offered in Memphis, but the location is over in Greensboro, NC- about 14 hours from here.

Now I'm just waiting to see what's going to happen with the car.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Sounds like a clutch or tranny problem, they shouldn't give you grief over the intake or exhaust....
Old 09-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36115
What I Drive: '06 ZX3 SES, '03 Se-R Spec V, '95 Lifted ZJ

FF Reputation: 1 jailbird1818 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^ Agreed. I have found if you stick to going to the same dealer for everything they are a bit more relaxed on the "rules". I was 650 miles out of warrenty when the fuel pump on my SE-R went out. Because I had every oil change, check-up etc. done at the same dealer since new, he pushed it through as a warrenty fix.

Soon to Come:Cosworth CAI and Exhaust, Tune, RS bits
Old 09-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Captain TMI

Points 28,369, Level 99
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Well I can definately feel that something is amiss. I pushed on the pedal frequently while calling everyone I knew to avoid boredom during the wait for a tow. It was very hard at the bottom of the pedal, so hard that I had to push harder than usual to get the car to start after I shut it off. It doesn't feel like there's any hydraulic action at all, so I'm guessing that either the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder is stuck.

Hmmmm, now might be a good time for me to ask them if I can turn the car in for that recall on wagons and have the rear gate latch replaced ...

Quote:
Old 09-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
my car breaks!

Fan#: 23734
What I Drive: 02 silver ZX3

Points 2,595, Level 30
Points: 2,595, Level: 30 Points: 2,595, Level: 30 Points: 2,595, Level: 30
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 jaimz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
to bad you don't live in ohio. if they void your warrentee because of your aftermarket parts, the shop supervisor has to personally write a detailed letter documenting why your 3rd party part caused the problem, if he can't prove it he can't void it!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 18519
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 1 y2kpedo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
my dealership does aligment under warranty even with my tein s tech spring on my car. i think it all depends on the dealer. if they are cool, they will fix it. ive taken my car with all my mods and they just tell me its a nice car. but they never say anythng about voiding the warranty, but if i hydrolock my engine, i dont think they will fix it. but that is a risk im taking
Old 09-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
Captain TMI

Points 28,369, Level 99
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Thanks for the support. I'm getting the run-around from the dealer. When I took the car in, they told me there were 2 cars in front of mine, and they would look at it Tuesday morning. I had to go to the bank because I'm trying to secure a house I made a bid on. When I finally called them at 5 pm- I got the same excuse as the day before: "There's 2 cars in front of you, he should be able to look at it tomorrow." As if I needed some more stress. Anyone who's ever bought a home before understands how much of a hoop jumping that is, and now I'm doing it without a car. I've nearly given up on going to Greensboro tonight, but that mostly depends on what happens at the bank today.

I feel sure that it's a hydraulic problem since I pushed the clutch in, and it didn't come back out again. The service guy has already accused me of causing the problem by racing the car several times. Yesterday he told me that if one of the springs on the disc was embedded in the pressure plate because I dumped the clutch that they wouldn't honor the warranty. That's really depressing. I didn't exactly need a 4 digit bill at this time in my life. The more I think about it, the more I'm trying to convince myself to sell the car when I get it back. None of my old beaters let me down at important times in my life- some of them never let me down at all. I sense a Sprinter or E-350 van in my near future that I can use to start my electrical service business. Grrrrrrrrrrr.... just venting.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Could be the clutch delaminated itself. There is a TSB on it.

Quote:
Make : FORD Model : FOCUS Year : 2005
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Service Bulletin Num : 05256 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10018945
Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
Summary:
MTX-75 PREMATURE CLUTCH FAILURE. *TT

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
Captain TMI

Points 28,369, Level 99
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Thanks Egz.. I knew about that one, and that could be it also. I get the feeling that they are going to force me to pay for it by saying that the mods I made caused the car to make more power and destroy the clutch. I don't race the car, or drive like Mario Andretti. I did what I did for fuel economy, and if I'm punished for it then I'm through with Ford. That's just outrageous. Combining the clutch and brake master cylinders always seemed like an accident waiting to happen to me.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
Captain TMI

Points 28,369, Level 99
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Latest word= my car fixed itself. As far as I can tell it looks like I volunteered to have my car sit in the dealer's parking lot for a couple of days, and support a local tow company. If this happens to anyone else I'll be sure to tell them to just wait it out, although I'm not positive if it was a time thing or if loading and unloading the car from the rollback caused the issue to disappear. I'm suspectful of the clutch/brake master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder/ release bearing. I think something just got stuck or slightly misaligned.

The shop foreman is out driving the car right now, and I'll know for sure if I can pick it up in the next hour. I'm guessing it will cost me for the tow, but that's better than having my warranty cancelled and paying them for a clutch I could do myself.

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.