Salutations! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38939
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 4 EvilGenius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile Salutations!

Grettings everyone.

I'd like to introduce myself and the plans I have for my ZX3 and hope for some feedback from you guys.

I recently started my freshman year in college and a few months back I got my father's '00 black ZX3 after he decided to buy a new Civic as a work vehcle for his job. I was pretty excited as my good friend Phillip has about 3 different 89-91 Hondas that we are constantly working on. I first really got into cars when my brother bought a '90 Nissan 300ZX and a few years later a '72 240Z. Eventually he had to sell the 240 and didn't want the 300 anymore. He was ready for a more practical vehicle. My sophomore year, my father's '96 Cherokee was nailed on the front left wheel by an uninsured silverado and did enough susp. damage to consider it totaled. Which is where the Focus comes in. He used the insurance money and bought the Focus from a mechanic at a Honda dealership next to his work. At 16 I got the 300ZX as a hand-me-down. To say I was excited would be the understatement of the century. Anyways it got to be too expensive to take car of so we sold it about a year later and I bought a Jeep for offroading. The Jeep spun a crank bearing about a year after I bought it and was getting about 12 mpg so I opted for an 89' Trooper which I still have but is really only used for offroading since I have the Focus which gets better mileage anyways. So now I'm getting back into sport/sport compacts again.

*phew*

OK. Here's a list of parts that I've come up with after looking around at a few sites and deciding where I'm going.

It's in no particular order, I just listed things as I thought of them:

Underdrive pulley:

FS Underdrive pulley kit $99

Springs:

Tein S-Tech 2" Springs: $190

H&R Cup Kit Suspension: $679.95

SPC Performance Focus Front Camber/Caster Kit: $54.95 ea. (2)

SPC Performance Focus Rear Camber Kit: $24.95

FS Upper-front Stress Bar: $89.95

FS Rear Stress Bar: $59.95

H&R Front Sway Bar: $175

H&R Rear Sway Bar: $159.95

Headlights:

Euro Headlights: $479.95

Wheels:

'03 Silver Focus SVT Wheel: $150 ea. (4)

Ignition:

Screamin Demon Coil & 10mm Wires: $138

Drive Train:

FS Aluminum Flywheel: $399.95

Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit: $699.95

Steeda Tri-Ax/F Short Throw Shifter: $149

Exhaust:

MAC Street Header: $254

Magna Flow Catback Exhaust System: $352

ECU:

SCT Performance Chip: $299.95

None of that is set in stone. The only questions I really have at the moment is that I still have the 15" wheel package that came on the ZX3's. Will the SVT wheels still fit with the 2" drop or will they rub? Also I'm alright if any of you guys think that there's something on that list that I DON'T need.

Basically I'm not going for an all out race machine as it still has a to be a DD, but I do want something with some balls. My next few mods I'm considering are the springs and the camber kits. Then maybe exhaust.

Nice to meet ya'll.

- EG

Last edited by EvilGenius; 09-10-2006 at 12:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

Points 7,383, Level 57
Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
hello, i also say "salutations" because i am a big fan of charlotte's web
Old 09-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Welcome to the forum!

The 2" drop wont really have any rubbing issues as long as you dont get a really wide tire or tall side wall. Unless you want to open up your spark plug gap you really wont need the coil/wires. Save that money for a high flow cat or flex pipe.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Alright. Thanks guys!
"Living in the present sucks! We no longer live in the golden days of old, where people had morals and knew the value of a hard day's work... Nor do we live in the future, where there are no morals and everyone has tons of really cool gadgets."
Old 09-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34375
What I Drive: 06 G35

Points 3,689, Level 38
Points: 3,689, Level: 38 Points: 3,689, Level: 38 Points: 3,689, Level: 38
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 blkthunder Good Standing Member
FS is good, but you might want to look into the CFM 2 piece set.
FS Underdrive pulley kit $99

Springs: Cup Kit comes with springs and dampers so i dont know why you would want tien springs anyway...
Tein S-Tech 2" Springs: $190
H&R Cup Kit Suspension: $679.95

Useless, our shocktowers are almost on top of the firewall so there is little to no rigidity gained.
FS Upper-front Stress Bar: $89.95

Useless, no power gained. dont do unless you're going to do a tune up and replacing the wires anyway.
Screamin Demon Coil & 10mm Wires: $138

Buy the ford racing one (same thing but cheaper) and pair that with a rear motor mount.
Steeda Tri-Ax/F Short Throw Shifter: $149

Look into a race header like the FS or OBX one. I am overly happy with my svt conversion on mine
MAC Street Header: $254

Xcal 2 has a bit more adjustability
SCT Performance Chip: $299.95
Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by blkthunder
1) I'll look into it.

2)At the moment I had forgotten that they came with springs. It would be quite a while before I'd get shocks anyways simply because of price. I've heard that drop springs with stock shocks is "ok" for a while but I may look into some reasonably priced adjustable ones or something not too long after.

3)Gone.

4)Next thing for sure will be springs but a tune up isn't too far off. She runs pretty good right now but could use a tune up. Thats the only reason i'd consider them but i'm still not sure if i really want them.

5)You're right, it is.

6)I thought it wouldn't be street legal due to getting rid of the cat, am I wrong?

7)I'm not really sure what I want as far as a chip yet. I just really want something to get rid of/raise the speed limiter and maybe just get a little more pep out of the engine.

Also. I had listed the magna flow but it's sounding like the borla or possibly the FS systems are more what I want. I want something that's lower and has a smooth sound through the rpms. Basically as little rasp as possible. Opinions?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,495, Level 99
Points: 29,495, Level: 99 Points: 29,495, Level: 99 Points: 29,495, Level: 99
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 273 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilGenius
6)I thought it wouldn't be street legal due to getting rid of the cat, am I wrong?
Late model Duratecs have a cat in the exhaust manifold, but not the older Zetecs- to my knowledge. You can get either a shorty header from FRPP that bolts to the flange, or a full length.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34375
What I Drive: 06 G35

Points 3,689, Level 38
Points: 3,689, Level: 38 Points: 3,689, Level: 38 Points: 3,689, Level: 38
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 blkthunder Good Standing Member
or push your luck with the svt setup. besides, youre in texas. arent the emmision laws pretty lax in that region?

cheap adjustable shox.... kyg agx's check ebay.

If i were you, id get the FS wires and just gap the plugs at .65 or whatever, and keep droping the gap until you dont have any more misfires the gap is where the power increase comes from anyway. hell you could prob do it with the stock plugs and wires.

and try porting your throttle body. and removing the spare and hatch carpet. backseat if you feel really dedicated.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by whynotthinkwhynot
Late model Duratecs have a cat in the exhaust manifold, but not the older Zetecs- to my knowledge.
Last time I looked under the hood there was large cat looking device in the exhaust sitting vertically next to the engine in between the radiator and i don't remember seeing one last time i was under it.

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by blkthunder [i]
or push your luck with the svt setup. besides, youre in texas. arent the emmision laws pretty lax in that region?

cheap adjustable shox.... kyg agx's check ebay.

If i were you, id get the FS wires and just gap the plugs at .65 or whatever, and keep droping the gap until you dont have any more misfires the gap is where the power increase comes from anyway. hell you could prob do it with the stock plugs and wires.

and try porting your throttle body. and removing the spare and hatch carpet. backseat if you feel really dedicated.
1)Maybe out in the country, but in the city (Euless is in the middle of DFW) it's pretty strict.

2)I'll be sure to check them out.

3)I might try that. It's got about 101K miles on it right now and runs great, but in my recent memory I don't recal changing the plugs or wires in the 3 years we've had it.

4)I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I did accidentally leave an aftermarket throttle body off of the list. Unless "porting" it is just as effective. I have to commute about 100 miles back and forth between home and school on the weekends, but when I occasionally go to a local 8th mile track I do pull the spare and sub out of the back.

Incase anyone is wondering about intake, I already have the MAC intake setup.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

Points 7,383, Level 57
Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
that big cat looking thing is your cat

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.