Minor Damage ( But Damage ) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2630
What I Drive: 06 Infra - Red ZX4 SES / Leather in

FF Reputation: 1 JayH Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Minor Damage ( But Damage )

Why is it, every time I take a car in to have something done, or fixed, it comes back with some kind of damage on it?

I bought my 2006 SES brand new. When the salesman and I were out for the first test drive we both noticed a loud squeak coming from the trunk. I had a buddy of mine ride in the trunk for a short distance and he told us that the squeak was coming from the audiophile sub woofer enclosure. So we take the car back to the dealer and I am "told" that it will be fixed. Later I go back to the dealership and I get the car. The squeak seems to be gone. I am told that one (1) bolt holding the sub enclosure was LOOSE. I am ok with that. So, I buy the car and go on my way. Later the next day I hear that same squeak coming from the trunk. My buddy, again, climbs into the trunk to take another ride. Again, he hears the squeak coming from the sub enclosure. This time "WE" take the cover from around the sub enclosure and we find a bolt missing from the top mounting bracket. One bolt is MISSING! I drive the car back to the dealership and I am pretty pissed off because the so called tech was too lazy to do a complete job and fix the problem the first time. They put a bolt in and so far, its been quiet.

The other day, I am cleaning the trunk and I find that "someone" has over tightened and wore the tops off of 5 of the 6 plastic screw on covers that hold the taillights on. These must have been messed with when the service man was in the trunk the first time, looking for the squeaking sound. We told the service manager that the noise was coming from the sub woofer enclosure! But I guess they tried to tighten everything in the truck! Today I paid over $12.00 to purchase new screw on covers. I put them in myself. I used a rag to cover them so they would not get all scared up. I used pliers. I don't know what the service man used but whatever it was, the original set was ruined. I know, this is a small thing, but what else goes on when a simple repair is done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe

Fan#: 2179
What I Drive: 2009 Octane Blue Pearl Lancer GTS

FF Reputation: 6 CrazyMatt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Damn.. sorry to hear all that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
^Slow your roll Dirk Diggler or you're going to have be back in the hospital with broken nuts!
Old 09-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

On my 1995 Cougar XR7:
The Ford dealership broke my electronic seat control panel when I had the driver's side lumbar cushion replaced. They replaced the control panel, luckily. They also smashed a huge dent in the driver's door when it was in the shop (many many times) for a check engine light EGR NO FLOW code. I finally gave up on that. They completely repainted that door. Color does not match well. The car is silver metal flake. I also paid $275.00 to have the seal on the moonroof replaced and now it leaks worse than it did before the repair. I took it back and they said they adjusted the moonroof. Still leaks! All from a FORD DEALERSHIP!
I tried a different Ford dealer and they screwed up two of my rims on my 03 Focus. Can't win! But they replaced the rims with new ones.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 35800
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX3 SES w/ SAP

Points 517, Level 10
Points: 517, Level: 10 Points: 517, Level: 10 Points: 517, Level: 10
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Strangewingz Good Standing Member
What amazes me is all the people who believe that the dealer is the BEST place to have their car serviced.

I used to work at a Ford dealer and most of the techs did the absolute minimum possible work and if they could get away with leaving off a few bolts and screws to get the car off the rack faster, they would.

It was all about working as quickly as they could on as many cars at once as possible. The kicker is the service writer would charge the customers the FULL number of hours that the repair called for in the repair guides. Nice scam!

SAP Crew #21
Old 09-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Strangewingz
What amazes me is all the people who believe that the dealer is the BEST place to have their car serviced.

I used to work at a Ford dealer and most of the techs did the absolute minimum possible work and if they could get away with leaving off a few bolts and screws to get the car off the rack faster, they would.

It was all about working as quickly as they could on as many cars at once as possible. The kicker is the service writer would charge the customers the FULL number of hours that the repair called for in the repair guides. Nice scam!
I believe that they do that at dealerships. 100%

The only reason that I take the Focus to the dealership is because it's under warranty. That's the only reason! My 95 Cougar would be serviced best at a small private repair place but here in my area, that's like going to a hillbilly's shack and asking for a DELL PC. In my area, it's really hard to get anything done. Anything! Everyone around here thinks they are techs and can fix anything. When the truth is, they are all "lousy" shade tree mechanics, if that. I use to take the Cougar to a small place close by. They ended up replacing parts, over and over, hoping to find the problem. I was getting cheap auto parts store parts too. The only good thing about a dealership is you get Ford parts. And the dealer usually gives me parts at cost. The repairs are the problem!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Soviet Russia

Fan#:
Quote:
Originally posted by JayH
On my 1995 Cougar XR7:
The Ford dealership broke my electronic seat control panel when I had the driver's side lumbar cushion replaced. They replaced the control panel, luckily. They also smashed a huge dent in the driver's door when it was in the shop (many many times) for a check engine light EGR NO FLOW code. I finally gave up on that. They completely repainted that door. Color does not match well. The car is silver metal flake. I also paid $275.00 to have the seal on the moonroof replaced and now it leaks worse than it did before the repair. I took it back and they said they adjusted the moonroof. Still leaks! All from a FORD DEALERSHIP!
I tried a different Ford dealer and they screwed up two of my rims on my 03 Focus. Can't win! But they replaced the rims with new ones.
Slightly better than Beaverton Ford, for not playing "it's not our fault" bullshit

Old 09-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
Soviet Russia

Fan#:
Anyways, photographs of damage, the front view of service dept and name and address of them for starter please?

Old 09-08-2006, 06:46 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
"The kicker is the service writer would charge the customers the FULL number of hours that the repair called for in the repair guides. Nice scam!"

The use of flat rate manuals for labor charges has been SOP in the industry for decades. The theoretical idea is that (a) why should the customer be penalized if the mechanic is slow and conversely, (b) why should the shop/mechanic be penalized if the mechanic happens to have better than average skills and works faster than other mechanics. Of course, the use of flat rate does put an incentive on fast work, which can lead to shoddy work, but in the end, it all boils down to how skilled and honest the shop is. If they are dishonest, they will find a way to screw you, flat rate or not. And if they are honest, the flat rate will ensure that you do not have to pay more just because the new, inexperienced, and slower mechanic in the shop happened to get your repair job.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 898
What I Drive: 2003 Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 poisonivory Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
that sux...

but i've interchanged my sedan tails like 5-6 times and i just do it by hand..lol
Old 09-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by poisonivory
that sux...

but i've interchanged my sedan tails like 5-6 times and i just do it by hand..lol

That's a good point! If a regular person (owner) can remove those 6 plastic pieces to change out the taillight lens, then why should a dealership tech do so much damage just tightening them.

I also changed the taillight lens on my 03 ZTS to euro lens and I didn't do any damage to the screw on plastic fasteners.

Because of the service tech, I had to change these six screw on fasteners on my 06 with new ones. At least they aren't damaged "now" It's not really a big deal, but it's a pain in the butt. This sorta thing bothers me, so I replaced them.

The servicemen just want to get a job done and get the car out of the repair bay. They could at least take pride in there work and be careful "not" to do any damage.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.