Howdy SVT owners help a perspective buyer out - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 5277
What I Drive: Black 1996 Taurus SHO 3.4L V-8

FF Reputation: 1 Voltron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking Howdy SVT owners help a perspective buyer out

Hello all! I just joined and the reason is that I am looking at a 2003 SVTF 3door (it is brand new and I am getting $3500 cash back vs. $2500 for a 2004 and they are the same car). Right now I have a 1996 Taurus SHO and I really enjoy the heck out of the car but it has over 116K on it now and it is just time to look at something new. I have had to drop about $2gs into so far this year (2 coils out of 8, intake manifold gasket, wheel bearings, catalytic converter fan … the list can keep going) and I just don’t think I am that in love with the car to keep dropping money into it. That is what made me start to look at the SVTF. I have read review after review and everyone raves about the handling and the power train. So I guess what I am wondering is.
1. How much of a drop off in take off power will I notice?

2. How is this thing in the snow? I live in upstate NY and I just can’t afford a new car and a winter rat at this time.

3. What have you as a SVTF owner seen the most problems with? My 96 SHO has been known to have some factory defects in the cam shafts that cause catastrophic engine failure and I want to make sure I can sleep at night when I own a car :). Thanks to anyone who will take the time to answer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 10:55 PM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sorry for putting that in the wrong forum :(
Old 03-22-2004, 11:17 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2059
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Seb656 Good Standing Member
Its a great car it doesn't snow in my part of Texas so I can't tell you about the snow some of the SVT's have had a quite a few problems but most solve them all pretty quick (you get a free loaner when ur car is in the shop) I had a few problems but they are all fine now (some of them due to an accidnet) but overall its a really fun car Its pretty quick and handles like its on rails its really fun if you like the feel of a rally car you will love this

In my family we have an SVT an RSX Type S and a WRX and I will tell you the SVT is alot more fun then the Type S and it is almost as fun as the WRX which has been rated most fun to drive by many many magazines (the SVT has in 2 or 3)

*BTW* 1000 posts with this

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with STDs... You wanna hit it, but you‘re afraid of the consequences."

My SVT Focus is #677 of 3985
Old 03-22-2004, 11:25 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1213
What I Drive: silver 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 drewzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
one of the things it has had some problems with is the flywheel.

seb your a whore lol. Love your sig
Old 03-22-2004, 11:38 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2059
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Seb656 Good Standing Member
Dude my name is gonna be the King of Post Whores once I get a custom one Im always just sitting here watching

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with STDs... You wanna hit it, but you‘re afraid of the consequences."

My SVT Focus is #677 of 3985
Old 03-23-2004, 01:17 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
The motor is a freewheel motor I believe so even if the timeing belt breaks you wont need new pistons,valves, and con rods. As long as you don't float a valve youll be ok.So engine wise it's solid. Trans axle is ok but the two piece flywheel has given some people problems. But the dealer will cover that under warranty. Ecu had a recent flash on it but that was over mostly real minor problems. Worth asking about at the dealer though. Not much in power difference if you do the math on it. Or you could just look at the quarte mile time on both to give you a real world number. I don't drive mine in the snow with a Z rated tire plus I don't want the salt on my precious car. hope this helps
Old 03-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks every one! I know the SHO weighs a lot more and it is automatic so I am sure the SVTF will be a blast. As far as the snow the last thing hinging on this decision is if I get a new job (which looks really really good). It is in PA and they don't use salt in PA . I will be making good money though so I will buy a set of blizax for it or maybe I will find a cheap reliable winter rat. Thanks again for the info and for the warm welcome
Old 03-23-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Greetings, Voltron:
Check out my thread(clicky) about SVT prospective buyer questions as well.
You may find some more answers pertaining to "snow prowess".

Last edited by WD40; 03-23-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:27 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you get the winter package on the SVTF, you will have traction control. I've heard that in the snow that is a very helpful option to have. Stock Conti's, well I've heard they dont handle very well in the snow, most up state SVTF owners have purchased winter tires for their rides during the winter months.

There happens to be some small issues with the SVTF as with any other car, some not all owners have had problems. The ECU reflash is one that applies to us all. YRF0 is the current, do a search in the SVT Forum and you should find information pertaining to that if interested.

Performance diff, well I dont know much about the Taurus SHO, but having a SVTF myself I dont believe you will be disappointed with the power or performance. Best of luck to you and welcome to ff.com

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"

Last edited by R&DSVTZX5; 03-23-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:47 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
1. You will notice an increase in speed.
2. The stock tires suck in snow. I highly recommend the cold weather package. We've gone over the SVTF's snow handling capabilities many times. Search
3. If your car is stock you have nothing to worry about. If you mod expect few problems. The car is pretty new so we don't know much about high mileage modded SVTs.
I highly recommend checking out the Mazdaspeed Protege, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Saturn Ion Redline, dodge Neon SRT, and Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V to see what the competition has to offer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.