part of a forum chat about "Acetone"... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 37663
What I Drive: 2007 ZXW SES

FF Reputation: 1 padavid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
part of a forum chat about "Acetone"...

got this in an email from a friend of mine...everything from stupid to silly...then the acetone users got in it big time...
.................................................................................................................................................

I am laughing my butt off reading some of the comments here. It’s now quite evident to me that the ‘establishment’ (ie. media controlled by Big oil and ‘Big Brother’) has most of you guys totally brainwashed. I want to give you some FACTS based on personal knowledge.

I work in Harris County Texas (Houston). Here EPA emissions testing is strict w/ special tests done to pass inspection annually. I have used a .28 oz/gal acetone to gasoline ratio in 3 vehicles for over a year now, and emmissions readings on these vehicles have dropped 50% on average. All vehicles have shown an average increase in MPG around 10%. All have shown noticeable increase in power. The smaller 4-cyls (Toyotas) show the most improvement, but the greatest improvement was on my 140K mile ‘96 Plymouth Voyager V6. I had a ‘Service Engine’ light coming on indicating ‘Cylinder Misfire’… and it stayed on for 6 months w/o me figuring out the problem. I started using the acetone additive and it went off after 2 tanks!

I work for a major petroleum and chemical engineering company with over 5,000 employees in Houston alone… 40,000 worldwide. After sharing my info in the Houston office, about a dozen ‘brave’ souls tried it. The results I got back I will note below following my 3 vehicles first. I drive a consistent pattern of highway and intown traffic equaling 700 miles per week. I buy gas at the same station/same pump/same time weekly for normalization of test data, now 1 year out:

‘85 Toyota Camry 4-cyl = 10%+ MPG, better performance
‘97 Toyota Camry 4-cyl = 9%+ MPG, MUCH better performance
‘96 Plym GR Voyager V6 = 12%+ MPG, Corrected ‘Engine Light’

‘94 Chev P/U V8 = 12% MPG, more power, better emissions test
‘92 Ford Explorer V6 = 5% MPG, passed after failing emissions
‘90 Nissan 280Z V6 = 10% MPG, gets 28MPG hiway @ 75MPH

‘97 Jeep Cherokee = Passed emissions test after flunking
‘01 Toyota Pathfinder = (Ditto above)… 2 tanks after
‘94 Lincoln Cont’l V8 = (Ditto above); 10%+ MPG

All have been saying roughly 10%+ mpg, but most notably the increased performance. If you aren’t getting the mpg, you should be checking the air filters: requires more air to gain new burn efficiency.

As for asking oil companies…they aren’t going to tell you this is good for many reasons.
First, they CANNOT add the additive like others because it is so high end distillate that it won’t remain in storage for very long (it dissipates quickly)… and if they can’t control adding it they don’t want you to gain on their profit loss.
Second, if everyone did this and gained 10% mpg, the immediate loss of 10% market share w/o ANY profit going to Big Oil is a marketing “No-No” to them.
Third, the corporate farmers pushing ethanol have too much in the pockets of congress to let you know that something this simple works. They want you to burn ethanol (from corn) that maintains the fuel ‘inefficiency’ and keeps not only Big Oil company profits high, but adds another group to the mix in the corporate farmers of ethanol.

Lastly, if anything were going to damage an internal engine component, 'ethanol' would...at a ratio of 1:10 in your gasoline. Most cars built after ‘94 have compensated w/ updated neoprene, N-Buna, and nylon components to handle the ethanol mixtures. Acetone at the ratio mixes we are talking about is 1:200… so miniscule that it is basically immeasurable as to harmful effects on an engine.

The overall economic impact now w/ gasoline at $3.00/gal of even a 5% increase in mpg = net savings of $0.25/gal if you are purchasing acetone at $12/gal using it at a .25oz/gal ratio. Relationly, the effect is 5 cents per gallon for every percent increase you gain… and if you gained -0- mpg, you would still get a cleaner engine, prolonged engine oil life (less blow-by gas from cylinder rings into oil), and save the life of your catalytic converter… as well as CLEAN UP THE ENVIRONMENT! (Hey, if you are burning more of the same fuel, less of it is escaping into the air… “DUH!”)

So, you skeptics keep dumping your garbage out there. Anyone with common sense and a will to be environmentally cleaner will at least test the theory. You can see a noticeable difference in performance at the very least, and know that you are emitting much less hydrocarbons into the air.

Some of the things you hear...

Acetone is dangerous! Not as much as gasoline...you want dangerous, check out "Ethanol". Beauty shops have had women put their fingers in acetone to rid themselves of their plastic nails for decades. Fingernail polish remover is mostly acetone. Most "Engine/Injector Cleaners" use a much, much higher percentage of acetone in their products.

Acetone melts plastics! So does gasoline and ethanol. The car manufacturers had a fit retrofitting the automoblie industry after "Ethanol" was put in service years ago. The ethanol melted everything from fittings to injectors. The parts in an engine are impervious to acetone if the engine can run ethanol...more so to the tiny percentage used in gasoline for mileage.

What I have noticed is that Wal-Mart is now having to inventory more acetone on their shelves…just ask the mgr of the paint department. More ‘Joe Public’ is learning the truth than you skeptics!

Comment by Victor B. Carvis — August 23, 2006

Tried it, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 3.0 engine….Put 4 oz. in while filling her up, and then hit the highway…247 kms each way to be exact…I put the cruise on at 105 kph, and drove off…Filled up when I returned and put no more acetone in, drove that tank out and then filled up again, no acetone, then set off for the same 247 km each way trip, same cruise, bla, bla, bla…The van normally get around 28 mpg on the highway, on the acetone tank, I got just over 32 mpg.. This vehicle has 100,000 kms on it and was only ever estimated to get 33 mpg when it was brand new….Ya I know, must be a fluke right, wrong, I’ve run the test several times now during different seasons and the same results. The best is when I set her up with the acetone in the tank and set her through the DriveClean emissions test. I zeroed out on almost everything, so low in fact that they ran it again later in the day after checking their own machine, and the second run was the same as the first…
If you honestly set up a test and there isn’t something seriously wrong with your vehicle you should get excellent results as well…..

Comment by Ken — May 31, 2006

I still have an 1986 GMC Jimmy 2.8L … 270,000 miles on a virgin engine. I started to have issues with fouling plugs about every 6 months. I was soon to trash the Jimmy. I started with a 2 OZ regiment for every 10 gallons of fuel. I figured it was a junk truck what could it hurt. After the last 2 years I have not needed a set a plugs and my milage went from 17 mpg up to 22 mpg. Now my OD has turned over 285,000 miles.

Now when I read the fooools like BOB/Mooseman, I am sure they live in a apartment/cell in some big city(jail) and never leave their computer. I on the other hand am a certified mechanic and have personaly seen how clean the components (spark plugs/injecter tips) are and have yet to seen 1 system failure of fuel line degradation are injecter component or O-ring failure. (NOTE: I do not know about the composit floats in old carberators but the brass ones come out clean and the fuel filters last longer from the lack of varnish build-up)

Comment by Dr. Engine M.D. — August 7, 2006

It simply works and does so immediatley. I am an automotive machinist and know fact from fiction when it comes to the internal working components of any combustion engine. I am using acetone currently in a 1991 Mercury Grand Marqui. I have used this since 1980 and used it in a Simco Hydraulic well drilling rig for 3 years. You'd better believe the oil companies dont want you to think for yourself.

Plexi50-July 12, 2006

BOUGHT AN EXPEDITION WHICH WOULD NOT GET ABOVE FOURTEEN MILES PER GALLON ANYWHERE ANYTIME, TRIED EVERYTHING IN AND OUT OF THE BOOK. GUESS WHAT , ADDING ACETONE BROUGHT ME UP TO TWENTY ONE MILES PER GALLON ON THE HIGHWAY AND SIXTEEN IN THE CITY, I DRIVE THE SAME. SO ALL YOU BUTT HORNS THAT THINK THIS DOESNT WORK, KEEP ON WASTING YOUR PRECIOUS MONEY FOR THE ARABS TO PROFIT, CAUSE MY FORD ROCKS DOWN THE ROAD AT TWENTY ONE, AND I WILL ALWAYS BURN ASS-E-TONE…

Comment by Todd — August 26, 2006

Re: #105-I started using acetone [~2oz/10 gals] in my ‘93 Ford Ranger 3.0 X-Cab 4x4 about 1200 miles ago and stop n’ go mileage has increased from hi 15’s to l7.9.

Warmer weather and my heightened awareness of the fact I’m trying to improve mileage may account for some of that, but it cannot account for the fact that it most definitely starts quicker and runs more smoothly, with idle RPM’s dropping from 800 down to 725-750 range.

I’m itching to take it on an extended highway cruise to see if I can beat the 24.6 I posted on a trip to Calif. from Montana August before last…I’ve noticed the same thing at WalMart, Victor-they ALWAYS had 4 gallons in stock, and now they’re empty for the past 3 weeks…

Comment by Dean — June 5, 2006

1994 Ford Bronco 4X4 with the 5.8 best ever 13 MPG on first tank with 3 OZ per 10 gallons I got 14.25 MPG I am going to continue and will be trying it in my gashog Motorhome soon.

Comment by Lino — June 18, 2006

I am going to try this because I have a sister that actually works for a big oil company in Houston Tx., and she told me that her boss was not able to let the public know about this because of the lost profits that they would incur if the general public was to become aware of this on a widespread basis. She also told me that a lot of the additives in the higher grades of fuel were made partly of acetone, just not at the ratio of 2-3 oz per every ten gallons,also the additives were not pure acetone and that it was just one of several ingredients, and the pure stuff would surely increase power along with mileage. {She is one of the vice presidents secretarys of BP oil in TX. So I am going to try it and see what happens.

Comment by BST — June 19, 2006

Unlike everyone speculating but not participating, I actually tested this in my ‘93 Honda Accord. Your UNEDUCATED OPINIONS are only wasting everyones time. For those interested in the FACTS —- My car without acetone got approx 270-300 miles on a 15 gal tank. WITH ACETONE that number increased to approx 450 miles on the same amount of gasoline. Anyone claiming this doesn’t work is either: A) an executive of the multi-billion dollar oil industry with hopes to keep their profits so obnoxiously high by issuing DISINFORMATION to sway your thinking to save money on their monopoly. OR B) an absolute imbecile. Feel free to mail me and I will give you any help or information you need with this.

William-July 17, 2006

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Could definitely be workable...

Although a lot of these high 'n mighty types listed here are ignoring a plethora of real-world costs and complications. In the real world, petroleum companies can't just toss in a major and potentially corrosive/harmful additive. It has to go through miles of governmental red tape and experimentation to let it be a legal additive, not to mention a complete lack of laboratory testing to evaluate how modern electronics would interact with it, and the complications/cost of the storage and logistics it would imply.

AND nobody is thinking about how all of this cost would most certainly be passed on to the consumer and might not mean a net gain for a while, while there are actually many other technologies out there in the world that have even more positive effects.

Not saying it couldn't work, but there's a lot of people in the world who have very strong opinions on things that they haven't thought through very well.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 08-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Yeah... Personally I choose to wait until someone posts about how his engine got screwed by the stuff. I'd rather wait and be safe than fork up for a new engine. I don't have the money to be a guinea pig.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 08-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12680
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 with Zetec

FF Reputation: 6 awnuts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Gas many years ago had acetone added. It was very unstable and I heard it was hard on the tanks and was removed. Myself I wouldnt put anything in my engine that wasnt approved.
Magnaflow cat back, EBC sport rotors with red pads,Focus sport stress bar,Yokohama EVS tires,volant cai,screamin demon coil and wires. Red powder coated calipers,Focal 5 spoke tuner wheels deep chrome edge.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The one thing I notice on their thread is that the newest vehicle the acetone was tried in was an '01, and the vast majority of the vehicles are much older than that. So if you have a beater go for it, but I'm not about to gamble my warranty until I see some definitive results.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34714
What I Drive: 2002 Acura RSX Base 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 KillaLude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i was testing it before my clutch/tranny went out on me. i seen decent increase in power and an increase from about 360-380 miles pertake i normall get between 12 and 13 gallons per fill up the 2 tanks i got after i started testing i got 420 on 12.6 gallons then 443 on 12.9. take it for what you will.

i am going to test xylene next then a mixture of them both and see how it goes.

these results are on an 06 ZX3 ses with a 5sp and 11k miles on it and 80% highway driving and mixed AC useage on the same roads over and over again useing either wal mart or chervon gas

my next test will be on my fiencees 04 se Zetec sedan with the 4sp automatic and about 62k miles on it.

Quote:
Originally posted by mvhudson
The one thing I notice on their thread is that the newest vehicle the acetone was tried in was an '01, and the vast majority of the vehicles are much older than that. So if you have a beater go for it, but I'm not about to gamble my warranty until I see some definitive results.
i have spoken to techs about this, most say its something they wouldnt notice, others just asked why i would do soemthing like that.
2002 Acura RSX base MTX = stock fun
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
3oz/10gal eh? I might well have to try this. My SVT already manages better than average mileage, if I could hit 35mpg regularly I wouldnt complain.

I've heard this discussed in the past, when I was a member on the Neon boards. The pattern is the same, the drawbacks appear to be academic more than by anybody's actual negative experience. We shall see...
Old 08-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
my car breaks!

Fan#: 23734
What I Drive: 02 silver ZX3

Points 2,637, Level 31
Points: 2,637, Level: 31 Points: 2,637, Level: 31 Points: 2,637, Level: 31
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 jaimz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
so wait, acetone (which i have a jug of since i've been working with some paint stuff and all that) can increase my power and mpg? to this i say WTF sirs, WTF!

LMAO.

so do i just dump 3oz's in the tank when i fill up or what? i mean this is madness. it just doesn't seem right!

how in the world does it work? what might it mess up? (we have plastic tanks) is it worth a try? does it work the first time you put it in the tank or what?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
And here's another question, as most of the responders have older cars. How will the OBDII electronics respond to this change?

I just have a natural distrust of people who end their arguments with crap like, "And if you disagree with me that just means that you are a Neo-Nazi child rapist..." (not a quote, but you get my drift)
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 08-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 37663
What I Drive: 2007 ZXW SES

FF Reputation: 1 padavid Good Standing Member
The guy who emailed me this uses acetone (2 ounces per 10 gallons) in his wifes 2003 SPI Focus (5-speed) sedan. They bought it with just over 40,000 miles and now have almost 80,000 miles on it. They have used acetone in it since about 50,000 miles. He said she gets around 41 mpg on the mostly highway/ some inner-city driving round trip to work and back. She puts 120 miles a day on it 5/6 days a week. Only problem they have ever had was a vacuum leak this past week.

I found some more stuff about this acetone here. Makes for interesting reading if nothing else. Here is just one site I've found...

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.