A painting question for those who have painted vehichles - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38404
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 wildstormfilms Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A painting question for those who have painted vehichles

Hypithetical Situation:

Lets say for the sake of argument, I want to paint my car all black. Could I use that automotive spray paint in the can and spray my car with it, then get have it clear coated by a professional later on?

Now some of you or all of you are scratching your head and thinking "why the hell would I want to do that?" Just indulge me. I'm curious. lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23876
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZX3, 08 Ninja650R

FF Reputation: 1 jeeptofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I wouldn't recommend it. I've used the Auto Spray Paint on an older car I had and it came out like crap. I cleared it, but it lasted only like a year before flakeing off. This wasn't a professional clear coat or paint so that may have had to do something with it. I would recommend buying (or renting) a spray gun and automotive paint from a auto specitalty store. I had a friend who did that and even though he skimped on the prep work (the MOST IMPORTANT PART) it came out pretty nice.
Edit: My friend used a clear coat just so you know.

*ZETEC Crew #85*
Old 08-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by jeeptofocus
I wouldn't recommend it. I've used the Auto Spray Paint on an older car I had and it came out like crap. I cleared it, but it lasted only like a year before flakeing off. This wasn't a professional clear coat or paint so that may have had to do something with it. I would recommend buying (or renting) a spray gun and automotive paint from a auto specitalty store. I had a friend who did that and even though he skimped on the prep work (the MOST IMPORTANT PART) it came out pretty nice.
Edit: My friend used a clear coat just so you know.
I'm thinking that if I did it that way and then get it professionally clear coated, the paint job will last. To me, painting with a spray can is easier for me and I feel I'm better at it. Plus no messy cleanup lol.

I don't know, it was just a thought but if done right, I think it would work. I was thinking of doing it this way because I could spend the winter painting sections of my car and then when spring is here I could have it clear coated professionally.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31399
What I Drive: '02 silver SVT3

FF Reputation: 1 ncslavens Good Standing Member
Buy high grade sandable paint. Make sure that you sand everything really really really well. After you are done painting. Wet sand, with lots of water, and i mean a lot of water. Duplicolor is pretty good stuff, hence the price of it per can. I have done this before and have produced a paint job that looks like i paid a lot for it. Oh, make sure that you get sandable clear coat. Duplicolor makes it to be compatible with their color match line of paints. I used 8 coats of it, sanding between every other. (all wet sanding) On the last coat, I west sanded until all was smooth and flat looking, then buff with a faom pad and medium compound. Then fine compound. It honestly looked perfect, and a YEAR later, still does. No one has any idea that i rattle can'd my car, until i tell them. Most don't beleive me when they look at it.

{edit} be fore you start painting, after sanding, BE SURE to use a de-waxing agent on the whole surface to be painted. After you do that, DO NOT TOUCH with your bare hands. You'll leave oil from your hands that will prevent the pain from bonding to the surface properly.

You might be surprised what you can actually do with a rattle can, if it's good quality paint.

Have fun and good luck man

Last edited by ncslavens; 08-27-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by ncslavens
Buy high grade sandable paint. Make sure that you sand everything really really really well. After you are done painting. Wet sand, with lots of water, and i mean a lot of water. Duplicolor is pretty good stuff, hence the price of it per can. I have done this before and have produced a paint job that looks like i paid a lot for it. Oh, make sure that you get sandable clear coat. Duplicolor makes it to be compatible with their color match line of paints. I used 8 coats of it, sanding between every other. (all wet sanding) On the last coat, I west sanded until all was smooth and flat looking, then buff with a faom pad and medium compound. Then fine compound. It honestly looked perfect, and a YEAR later, still does. No one has any idea that i rattle can'd my car, until i tell them. Most don't beleive me when they look at it.

{edit} be fore you start painting, after sanding, BE SURE to use a de-waxing agent on the whole surface to be painted. After you do that, DO NOT TOUCH with your bare hands. You'll leave oil from your hands that will prevent the pain from bonding to the surface properly.

You might be surprised what you can actually do with a rattle can, if it's good quality paint.

Have fun and good luck man

Hey thats cool. I was thinking of using dupilcolor for everything other than the clear coat. Clear coat would be done professionally. Should I sand down to the metal or no? I also have a 2 rust spots that I need to fix. When sanding, I should sand down to the metal on those rust spots, right? And when I primer the vehicle, could I use that rustoleum primer or whatever its called or should I just stick with one brand like Duplicolor?
Old 08-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31399
What I Drive: '02 silver SVT3

FF Reputation: 1 ncslavens Good Standing Member
Use something with a rust inhibitor that is sandable. On the rust spots, sand to bare metal but don't let it get exposed to moisture. There are rust disolving agents that you can get at the auto store. don't handle then with bare hands. They can get into the pores of the surface and "kill" the rust. prime those spots as soon as possible. Other than rust spots, don't sand to bare metal. It's more work than it's worth. you shouldn't need to prime the whole vehicle, just the rust spots. Especially if you're painting black. Old color won't show through. You might want to pick up a Haynes, or Chilton manual for you car, they actually have a decent amount of direction on how to do body work, rust repair, and painting procedures. No one taught me, i just read the books and went for it. Keep in mind DO NOT wet sand primer. it is porus (meaning that it has little bitty, teeny tiny holes in it) you will get moisture back to the bare metal which will cause it to rust.

All i have done is give you just a little more than BASIC painting information. Go buy a book and really learn what you are about to do. It's worth it, trust me.

Last edited by ncslavens; 08-27-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.