General rant: warranty bulls**t - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23553
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 5spd

Points 6,476, Level 52
Points: 6,476, Level: 52 Points: 6,476, Level: 52 Points: 6,476, Level: 52
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 15 xFOCIx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
General rant: warranty bulls**t

My 05 Focus probably the last Ford I'm buying new. The car's had issue since day one and dealer is doing everything to talk their way out of fixing it under warranty.

Issues I've had so far:
Steering wheel not straight, pulls when wheel centered
headlight not aligned right
squealing from brakes
extended cranking

The first three, they brushed me off:
"the vehicle is covered 3 years/36,000 miles, but but but but"
alignment is only one year/12,000
rotors are not covered
headlight alignment is also one year/12,000

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 18519
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 1 y2kpedo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
headlight alig = easy fix
squealing from brakes = easy fix
wheel alig = 50-80 bucks
exteded cranking = Xcal 1 or 2

done.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 6,476, Level 52
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally posted by y2kpedo
headlight alig = easy fix
squealing from brakes = easy fix
wheel alig = 50-80 bucks
exteded cranking = Xcal 1 or 2

done.
You're missing the point. Why should I have to be responsible for ANY of this when my car is under WARRANTY?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally posted by itsme
You're missing the point. Why should I have to be responsible for ANY of this when my car is under WARRANTY?
Yes thats very true. The headlights though you could easily fix on your own, but everything else they should cover. Try another dealership is about my only suggestion, maybe they are just pricks are that one.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 08-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

Points 31,592, Level 100
Points: 31,592, Level: 100 Points: 31,592, Level: 100 Points: 31,592, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Alignment should be your responsibility not theirs. Why should they be liable if you jump your car more than the General Lee? Also the way your making it sound, is that they should also be responsible for your Oil Changes free of charge. That's simply not the case. There's a little bit of Owner Maintance that needs to take place as well.

Alignment can be had for around $50

Headlights are Easy to Align, even though they should be able to align them relatively easy

Squeeling from brakes can be a Dozen or more things. Sounds as though you're heavy on the gas and brake and wore your Pads and Rotors out already. I got my dealership to replace my rotors because they warped twice within a 6 month time frame. They told me that they'd replace the rotors but not the pads because they were a 'wear' item only. Which is fine. I went out and bought a pair of Hawk Pads PowerSlot Rotors for around $150 and my braking problem is fixed.

My best advice to you, is mind your attitude when you're in the dealership. I work for Cable Company and i don't mind going the extra mile for a customer, as long as they treat me with respect and are nice to me. The same would go for everybody else. You're making it sound like you go into the dealership and tell them you want this and that fixed now and it's Ford's fault that it broke. I'm not saying that's how you are, but that's what i'm getting from the post. If you have acted nicely to the dealership, try another dealership and see if you get the same results.

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
Old 08-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
"alignment is only one year/12,000
rotors are not covered
headlight alignment is also one year/12,000"

Well, that does make some sense, no? They are responsible for delivering a car to you with the headlights aligned correctly and the suspension aligned correctly. You have 12 months or 12,000 miles to figure out if this is true.

Even BMW with their 50K 4 yr "all maintenance covered" policy doesn't cover alignment.

If you can find another car manufacturer that will give you free alignments and headlight alignment more than 12 months after the purchase, then by all means, go for it!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29791
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 ST, '06 Escape, '87 911 Cab

FF Reputation: 5 babyface Good Standing Member
I don't think i've ever been to a dealership that covers alignments, though many will do a basic alignment, if they have the car up anyway.

I agree that the prolly should cover the headlight thing, even though its not really a warranty issue. Theres some stuff that the owner has to do to keep the vehicle runnin properly too.

The steering wheel issue, mine does the same thing, and my fix is: ignore it. Just let the wheel sit slightly off center, its fine.

Brakes are almost never covered, unless there is an obvious defect in them.

But I do agree that they sound like they're being difficult.
ST Crew #1

Current Mods: Silverstars, iPad radio/navigation, center muffler delete, Hella 700FF driving lights, brakes, Red/White footwell LED's, lock-switch lights, Tigger doll from GF
Old 08-21-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Hon-duh Rider

Fan#: 29084
What I Drive: 91 Cabriolet & 87 Honda VT1100

FF Reputation: 15 BiggTigger78 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
IMO, sounds like someone wants everything taken care of regardless if it's just normal wear and tear. Suck it up and fix the small things yourself. Worry about the warranty when the engine falls out of the car or something.

Owner Maintenance doesnt just mean keeping it washed.

Good Luck though.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Unless the car came with those problems listed, they are general wear and tear issues, not warranty issues...
Old 08-22-2006, 03:46 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Points 6,476, Level 52
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally posted by penguin
"alignment is only one year/12,000
rotors are not covered
headlight alignment is also one year/12,000"

Well, that does make some sense, no? They are responsible for delivering a car to you with the headlights aligned correctly and the suspension aligned correctly. You have 12 months or 12,000 miles to figure out if this is true.

Even BMW with their 50K 4 yr "all maintenance covered" policy doesn't cover alignment.

If you can find another car manufacturer that will give you free alignments and headlight alignment more than 12 months after the purchase, then by all means, go for it!
So, what part of "bumper to bumper" is not between the bumpers?
I already took it into buying dealer twice and they never got it right. Before you guys say "keep taking it there", its TIME CONSUMING.

The car's never been wrecked and there's no reason for headlights to go out of alignment. When I took it to a different dealer and explained the situation, I basically got told "take it back to the (dealer that can never fix things right), its not our problem".

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.