Want a ZX3, Help me sway my mind. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 37993
What I Drive: 2000 yellow TJ

FF Reputation: 1 tannerm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Want a ZX3, Help me sway my mind.

Im looking to get a used gas efficent something. But all my life ive owned neeto cars (87 5.0 lx coupe, 00 4.0L Wrangler (current), 65 mustang coupe, 86 porsche 944) and I dont want to get a lame arse boring eco car. Such as a Civic... I want something i could feel comfortable with my masculinity and not feel like a sissy Prius driving college professor :) I am new to your forums because I have always had my eye on a focus ZX3, but never really considered it. Now the time comes to sell my Jeep and get something small. How does a ZX3 drive in regards to sportiness and power? my 87 mustang had power where my 86 944 had handling like a dream. I am probably using 2 examples that are out in the clouds, but help me here guys. Why would someone want a focus over other cars in its class? the 2.0L with its ~130hp, is that better than average? I dont mean to insult anyone here, I only come to you to share your input on the subject. I am a diehard Ford freak and would love to have another again. For now just fill me in on the car's performance, and your opinions on it. Ive asked dealerships what they think of it, and of course its the best thing under the sun! Thank you for taking the time to read this hella long thread. I look forward to hearing back from some of u!
Tanner Mahan
(want a 2000-2003 ZX3. nothing new, and prolly going to have over 60k on it...)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36836
What I Drive: 2004 Cloud 9 ZX3 W/05 FE

FF Reputation: 1 allen_rubin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I know what you mean. I had a 1991 GMC Jimmy, 95 Galant, and now a 04 Zx3. Personally i never wanted a ford but i gotta tell you that it is great with gas and has that extra lil kick to it. Just get nice tires and suspension, intake and exhaust. that will get you your handeling and power. and not really that expensive. I put a strut tower bar across my front and upgraded to a SVT rear sway bar i have felt a large difference in my handling. I also have the 2.3 Duratec as well. But i say go for it.
SoCalFanatics #23
myspace.com/allen_rubin21
Old 08-15-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

Points 14,725, Level 78
Points: 14,725, Level: 78 Points: 14,725, Level: 78 Points: 14,725, Level: 78
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
well if u want the "sporty" focus then the svt would be the best bet. 170hp and already comes with suspension upgrades and a sportier interior. the focus is a great little car. i think its the best bang for your buck. a lot better than the civic. but if your looking for power, then the focus isnt what u want. ud hafta drop big money to break 200whp. go and test drive a focus and see how u like it. if u can, take it around some twisties and i bet ur gonna have a huge smile on ur face on ur way back.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 AM   #4
Banned

Fan#: 36023
What I Drive: Nada focus yet

FF Reputation: 1 Numba1Stunna Good Standing Member
In all honesty, this thread is a joke.

"I dont want to get a lame arse boring eco car. Such as a Civic..."

Then move along, cuz if you think the civic is boring, get behind a focus. Recently I bought an older eagle talon, and a new Focus ZX3. Well, my talon still runs well, but it isnt a very good car to drive around normally. As for my focus? I sold it already. This car, in all honesty, flamingly sucks. First time I opened the trunk, what do I notice? G nails are sticking through the top of the trunk liner! I go to the dealership, and they tell me thats normal for a focus. Un-be-lee-va-bul.

And that crack at the civic is even more unbelievable. Have you actually DRIVEN a 2006 civic? i just bought an 06 civic SI, and my mom just bought an 06 civic ex. I shit you not, with a small amount of modding, the ex would blow past the SVT, and my SI would rape the hell out of it. Not only that, but they both look much better, feel better, run better, get better fuel efficiency, and to top it all off, they dont lose their value in 5 years like a focus does.

So if you are looking for a fun car, go test a civic SI before you bash it on a focus forum. The focus is a boring car, great handling, nill for power. The auto is undrivable, the manual is barely driveable. What possessed me to buy it is still beyond me. My SI is much <3 though. So please educate yourself before you trash the new civics =(
Old 08-16-2006, 01:56 AM   #5
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally posted by Numba1Stunna
First time I opened the trunk, what do I notice? G nails are sticking through the top of the trunk liner! I go to the dealership, and they tell me thats normal for a focus. Un-be-lee-va-bul.

And that crack at the civic is even more unbelievable. Have you actually DRIVEN a 2006 civic? i just bought an 06 civic SI, and my mom just bought an 06 civic ex. I shit you not, with a small amount of modding, the ex would blow past the SVT, and my SI would rape the hell out of it. Not only that, but they both look much better, feel better, run better, get better fuel efficiency, and to top it all off, they don't lose their value in 5 years like a focus does.

Well first off if you are dumb enough to BELIVE that nails are normal you got other problems.

Second he COULD be looking into the 2.0 or 2.3 duratec and in that case with a few mods will ALSO beat the hell out of the SVT. So the standard Civic EX with mods will not be any problem, so whats you point?

Yes Honda's are good cars no doubt I will never say other wise but your view on the focus is completely misguided and biased. You had a bad experience with the focus and seems you are a little fridged to any other model, have you driven the duratec or even a SVT for that matter. I prefer to feel my torque instead of depend on all HP to get me through my daily driving. I have driven the new civic and no it was not an SI but it was the EX its over priced, over hyped and lacks the enjoyment the focus has. Its living in the shadow of the past civic and it has been said by most car reviews to have less thought into this civic than any other in the past.

(If anyone wants to post any reviews I would appreciate it)
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 08-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #6
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

Points 10,130, Level 67
Points: 10,130, Level: 67 Points: 10,130, Level: 67 Points: 10,130, Level: 67
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Numba1Stunna
In all honesty, this thread is a joke.

"I dont want to get a lame arse boring eco car. Such as a Civic..."

Then move along, cuz if you think the civic is boring, get behind a focus. Recently I bought an older eagle talon, and a new Focus ZX3. Well, my talon still runs well, but it isnt a very good car to drive around normally. As for my focus? I sold it already. This car, in all honesty, flamingly sucks. First time I opened the trunk, what do I notice? G nails are sticking through the top of the trunk liner! I go to the dealership, and they tell me thats normal for a focus. Un-be-lee-va-bul.

Sounds like you bought a crappy Focus from a crappy dealer.

Quote:
And that crack at the civic is even more unbelievable. Have you actually DRIVEN a 2006 civic? i just bought an 06 civic SI, and my mom just bought an 06 civic ex. I shit you not, with a small amount of modding, the ex would blow past the SVT, and my SI would rape the hell out of it. Not only that, but they both look much better, feel better, run better, get better fuel efficiency, and to top it all off, they dont lose their value in 5 years like a focus does.
I should hope so, since it has a 197hp engine, and they don't make a SVT anymore...

Quote:
So if you are looking for a fun car, go test a civic SI before you bash it on a focus forum. The focus is a boring car, great handling, nill for power. The auto is undrivable, the manual is barely driveable. What possessed me to buy it is still beyond me. My SI is much <3 though. So please educate yourself before you trash the new civics =(
While I agree on the bashing early part, I think you are unfairly biasing against the Focus based on a non-normal representation. 99.5% of owners will disagree with you on the Focus being crap.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 08-16-2006, 06:37 AM   #7
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

Points 10,130, Level 67
Points: 10,130, Level: 67 Points: 10,130, Level: 67 Points: 10,130, Level: 67
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
To the OP: A nicely used SVT would fit your build nicely. Its a fantasticly setup car; while not a powerhouse like the Mustang, it will keep close to your Porsche, and always bring smiles to your face. They handle great from the factory, and there are plenty of options should you choose to modify it (like a Powerworks blower)

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 37993
What I Drive: 2000 yellow TJ

FF Reputation: 1 tannerm Good Standing Member
Wow, I really appreciate y'alls comments, even if they were a little ignorant **cough** **cough** civic guy. I am more than likely going to go with a ZX3 only because i cant find very many SVT's at dealerships in my area, and i dont wanna spend over 8k :\. Im a 22 year old "kid" who is waiting on the hiring process for his career. Its a 4-8 month process and i need a good gas efficient car thats got some balls :) My current job that i start monday (part-time, so i have time to still collect applications for career) wont pay my Wrangler payments. Soooo, I figured i could prolly find a good ZX3 manual (A/C!!!) for under 8k. Hell maybe even under 7k. Yall find that possible? I've heard good things about the ZX3 since ive writen this. At a dealership in my area there is an '02 ZX3 just brought in on trade today. I havent seen it, but i plan on checking it out tomorrow. Salesman "claims" it will be cheap. We shall see. Could you guys throw out some simple CHEAP mods yall have done to yours? Someone earlier mentioned intake exhaust and suspension. Thanks. Include brands and prices. Hell, ill consider used! Lastly, what has a 2.0 and who has a 2.3?
Thanks again;
Tanner M
P.S. Feel free to link some pics of your focus's. Wouldnt mind some motivation :D
Old 08-16-2006, 11:33 PM   #9
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Well all focus' came with 2.0 but its diffrent motors that specify what power your getting.

Here is a list..

2.0 SPI 110hp-125tq

2.0 Zetec-130hp-125tq (I think)

2.0 Duratec 136hp-134tq (i love this motor, its got plenty balls)

2.3 Duratec 150hp-154tq (I have not driven one of these but I can just imagine, this engine is only available in the 05-06 ST or the 04 if you live in a green state)

Feel free to look in my galery for a basicly stock 06 zx3.

Jon
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 08-16-2006, 11:49 PM   #10
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

Points 11,191, Level 69
Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have an '04 ZX3 with the 2.3 motor. I don't think Texas is a green state but if you can find one in a neighboring state you will not be disappointed!

The 2.0 Zetec motor, which came as the standard motor for the majority of the life of the ford focus, is a sweet motor with very cheap and easy to find parts.

I have been around foci and civic alike. Civics are nice cars for sure, but so are foci. I would say the focus drives much nicer (especially if you change out the suspension to SVT status for 240 and slap on some 17" rims).

If you want a car with 60,000 miles on it, you're going to spend quite a bit more on a used civic than you will on a used focus.

Good luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.