Zoom Zoom in Ford's future? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Zoom Zoom in Ford's future?

From LeftLane News:
Quote:
Mazda designer takes over Ford’s car design division

Ford today announced that it has appointed Moray Callum as the Design Director of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars. Mr. Callum is credited as the man who “defined Zoom-Zoom design for the full Mazda lineup.” Patrick Schiavone — who lead car design at Ford up until today — has been shifted to Design Director of Ford trucks (which includes SUVs and crossovers). In a related move, Mazda has appointed Laurens van den Acker general manager of the company’s Design Division. Acker is said to have contributed to the Ford Model U, 427 and Bronco concepts.
LINK: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/...sign-division/

I am loking for more information on this, but it seems Fields is REALLY unhappy with the Dave direction... and wants more Zoom out of the future Ford Cars.

I have no objection to that despite the fact that I like quite a bit of the upcoming Five Hundred facelift.

Igor

EDIT: Found more on good old trusty BON
Quote:
Ford Realigns Designers
By Staff Report
Published: May 1, 2006
Print Email

(DEARBORN, MI) BlueOvalNews.com - Ford Motor Company has realigned key players within its global design team, more strategically leveraging the strengths of some of the industry’s most talented design leaders.

“We’re changing up several leadership positions within our powerhouse of global design talent,” said J Mays, group vice president, Design, and Chief Creative Officer. “These moves will help ensure that we further differentiate the designs of each our brands from their competitors’ and will allow us to deliver even stronger, more emotional products throughout our brand portfolio.”

Supporting Americas Design Executive Director Peter Horbury in his bid to infuse the full North American vehicle lineup with “Red, White & Bold” style are:

* Moray Callum, who has been appointed Design director, Cars. Effective May 1, Callum returns to North America from Hiroshima, Japan, where he previously was General Manager, Design Division, Mazda Motor Corporation.
* Patrick Schiavone, who has been named Design director, Trucks, also effective May 1. Schiavone previously was Design director, Cars.
* Freeman Thomas, who was named director of Strategic Design for North America Advanced Studios in California and Dearborn in June 2005, continues in that role.

“I can’t think of a better creative team to help deliver vehicles that even more closely reflect the attitudes and values of our diverse customers in this market,” Horbury said.

“Moray, the man who defined ‘Zoom-Zoom’ design for the full Mazda lineup, will bring new energy to our Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars. Pat, whose name is synonymous with ‘Built Ford Tough’ F-150 designs, is going to further push the needle on our pickups and strengthen SUVs and Crossovers. And Freeman, a world-class strategist, is poised to continue pushing our vision for new, white-space vehicle designs.

“Working closely together as one creative team, we’re going to help pave the Way Forward, delivering vehicle designs that are even more compelling for our customers,” Horbury said.

In a related move, Mazda has appointed Laurens van den Acker general manager of the company’s Design Division. He is responsible for the overall design and styling of all of Mazda’s global products, replacing Callum, and reports to Seita Kanai, senior managing executive officer in charge of Mazda ’ s R&D as well as Mays.

Before joining Mazda in January as deputy general manager, Design Division, van den Acker was chief designer of Strategic Design in the Dearborn Advanced Studio. Prior to that assignment, he held several different design positions during his seven years with Ford, including chief designer for the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner and chief designer of the Brand Imaging Group.

“Laurens’ global experience and strengths as a brand and product strategist make him uniquely qualified to take the already-strong lineup of Mazda designs to a new level,” Mays said. “His contributions to key vehicles – including the Ford Model U, 427 and Bronco concepts – demonstrate his ability to imagine the future on our customers’ behalf and pay that vision out in sheet metal.”

Elsewhere in the global lineup, Martin Smith, executive director, Design – Ford of Europe, has assumed additional responsibilities.

Matrix-reporting to Smith is Scott Strong, director of Design – Ford Asia Pacific and Africa. Strong is responsible for developing vehicle designs for Australia-based product programs and oversees Ford’s China and Asia-Pacific studios, reporting directly to Trevor Worthington, vice president – Ford Australia, and John Shelton, director of Product Development – Asia Pacific and Africa.

“From a design perspective, we’re more closely aligning these markets,” Mays said. “We want to ensure we’re more consistently delivering the Ford design DNA throughout our full range of products, but we also want to reflect each region’s unique customer desires and aspirations.

“This shift – combined with the new appointments – will help our world-class Design team continue pushing to create even more powerful vehicles that are true to the values of their respective brands, distinct from the competition and meaningful to customers,” Mays said.

Leading Design at Ford Motor Company’s additional brands are:

* Ian Callum, Design director, Jaguar.
* Steve Mattin, Design director, Volvo.
* Gerry McGovern, Advanced Design director, Land Rover.
* Marek Reichman, Design director, Aston Martin.
* Geoff Upex, Design director, Land Rover.
LINK: http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.ph..._articleid=247

IN OTHER NEWS: Ford's Twin City Plant - that was just cut, might become the future site of 2016 or 2020 Summer Olympics: http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/01/c...mpic-gold-for/

Igor

Last edited by igor; 05-01-2006 at 01:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
i think ford could use a little zoom zoom....

...correction, ford could use alot of zoom zoom.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31568
What I Drive: 1996 Dk. Green Mustang GT Conv. MTX

FF Reputation: 4 Shadowrunner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
"white-space vehicle designs"? wtf does that mean?
returned fiance's engagement ring, since she returned me, made nice pc funds lol
Old 05-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #4

Fan#: 15238
What I Drive: 03 IR SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dgualtie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy_urn
...correction, ford could use alot of zoom zoom.
agreed!
SVT squad #7
Old 05-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowrunner
"white-space vehicle designs"? wtf does that mean?
nontraditional models... e.g. Bronco, Sport Track.. .etc....

there are cars that are must, and that are simply being cyclically redesigned and gradually improved.

And then there are
1) cars that can be build, becaue it would capture an interesting niche....
2) or cars Ford has not offered previously.
3) or cars that have fallen off the map and need serious changes (eg. 2005 Mustang)

Thesecond category of cars starts from a clean sheet and have a more relaxed norms for the design, and as a result usually benefit from having a different type of designers in charge.

Igor
Old 05-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
#3 should also include the Focus and the continued support of SVT
Old 05-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
aka The Wizard

Fan#: 27514
What I Drive: '87 Jetta GL, '82 Benz 300TD

Points 22,549, Level 93
Points: 22,549, Level: 93 Points: 22,549, Level: 93 Points: 22,549, Level: 93
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Timmeh! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
heres fords problem... they dont want ANYTHING to complete with their little holy grail the mustang....
mind you it just BARELY squeezes into being affordable with a base of under $18,000.....
but me and my friends like to joke that to buy a passenger seat its another $2000 airbags another $500 and if you want a heat/AC its another $1500, etc.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

^^^that is an outdated stereotype...

It never held too much water, and holds even less right now... How about the 3.5l V6 that will power up the Milan.. that competes with the mustang alright doesn't it? And ST version of the Fusion is in the works.

I know it takes time to be convinced that times have changed - but they did..
the fact that much of the Ford NA and FoMoCo leadership has changed can signify that..

Igor
Old 05-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #9
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
the whole mustang thing is totaly not true, its not about that. People will still buy the mustang, why b/c its a mustang doesnt look similar to anything else in Fords line up and its rear wheel drive, ok big deal the fusion has more hp then the mustang v6, but its not rwd so true enthusiasts of the mustang will still BUY the mustang.....its not just about the horsepower when your buying a mustang. I cant wait to see some of this zoom zoom in fords lineup, and honestly if they manage to mass produce the reflex and it looks somewhat similar to the concept and has similar performance and gas efficiancy, im sold and that thing will sell like hot cakes as long as its priced right.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
Maybe Ford has "spies" out there reading these message boards and after the 10,000th thread on FocusFanatics alone about " how cool Mazda cars are" they might have gotten a clue

04‘ SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.