Gas Tax on Oil Firms - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,806, Level 97
Points: 26,806, Level: 97 Points: 26,806, Level: 97 Points: 26,806, Level: 97
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Gas Tax on Oil Firms

Hmm, seems interesting, but if only it would actually be done.

Updated: 12:02 AM EDT
U.S. Should Consider Taxing Oil Firms, Senator Says

WASHINGTON (April 23) - The government should consider a tax on oil companies if they make excessive profits amid rising gasoline prices, a leading Republican senator said Sunday.

Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said a windfall profits tax, along with measures to stem concentration of market power among a few select oil companies, could offer eventual relief to consumers hurting at the gas pump.

"I believe that we have allowed too many companies to get together to reduce competition," Specter said.

"They get together, reduce the supply of oil, and that drives up prices," he said. "In the short run, it's hard to deal with it for tomorrow. But I think windfall profits, eliminating the antitrust exemption, considering the excessive concentration of power are all items we ought to be addressing."

Specter is backing legislation that would strengthen antitrust laws on oil company mergers after his committee held a hearing last month examining the growing consolidation of the oil industry. The nation's largest oil companies, including Exxon Mobil Corp., have denied their industry size has affected prices.

Last week, crude-oil prices hit record highs and average gasoline prices nationwide neared $3 a gallon.

Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., said he believes gas prices "would come down within a matter of days" if President Bush told oil companies that he was going to support a windfall profits tax.

"But the president will not call the oil companies into his office because he's been too closely allied with those oil companies, and if he does it's going to be a window-dressing conversation," said Levin, who appeared with Specter on CNN's "Late Edition."

04/23/06 13:41 EDT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
blah blah blah... nothing will happen.. they ar just talking to getre-elcted.

It cold work, but they do not have the will to alienate their sponsors.

And if itshould pass I hope they make i smart, and not just some declaration that has a huge loophole that lets everyone by...

I believe it should simply tax all profits not re-invested in increasing capacity.. it shuld also simply apply to all companies that are close or could possibly dominate a market... Microsoft, Energies/Utilities, Greyhound, etc.

Igor
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13776
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT #554/3985

FF Reputation: 1 nootch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The government makes more off of gas sales through high taxes than the oil companies do... Maybe we should be yelling at the government to lower taxes? If they end up taxing the oil companies more, who do you think will actually pay for it? The consumer of course!
Spector and the rest are idiots!

http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf2004/gastax.htm
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_b...xes_excee.html
Old 04-24-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23119
What I Drive: 2007 Black F150 STX

FF Reputation: 1 BlacKnight Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Re: Gas Tax on Oil Firms

Quote:
Originally posted by DrkKnight614
"I believe that we have allowed too many companies to get together to reduce competition," Specter said.

"They get together, reduce the supply of oil, and that drives up prices," he said. "In the short run, it's hard to deal with it for tomorrow. But I think windfall profits, eliminating the antitrust exemption, considering the excessive concentration of power are all items we ought to be addressing."

That is exactly why the US goverment split Bell Telephone up back in the late 1970's and early 1980's. They said that "Ma Bell" was too big and too powerful and had a monopoly on phone service. Of course, all the "Baby Bells" are recombining (AT&T and SBC for example). I always thought allowing the oil companies to combine was a bad idea. What the oil companies are doing today is an insult to free enterprise, not to mention illegal according to the US goverment. The oil companies of today are trying to rebuild the old Standard Oil of the past. If you read history, the US goverment sued that company and broke it up into smaller oil companies.

And, Nootch, if the goverment lowered the taxes on petroleum products, the oil companies would just keep that money as profits.

I sell Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles one piece at a time.

Shadow may be gone, but I am still around from time to time!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
What amazes me is that someone sneezes in the Middle East and gas prices immediately jump 15 cents a gallon. Things ease up and it takes six weeks for the prices to come back down. So if an increase can be instant, why not a decrease? But the oil companies aren't manipulating the system... yeah, right...
Old 04-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13776
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT #554/3985

FF Reputation: 1 nootch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Re: Re: Gas Tax on Oil Firms

Quote:
Originally posted by BlacKnight
And, Nootch, if the goverment lowered the taxes on petroleum products, the oil companies would just keep that money as profits. [/B]
Let's try it and see Seriously, if the government is making more off of taxing oil than the oil company making in profits, then turns around and blames the oil company for high prices; I have to scratch my head and wonder if they are playing a game of C.Y.A. during an election year?

I dunno maybe my data is off? It sucks either way...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.