Fix it up before I trade it in? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34363
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3, what else! About to trade it in for another :D

FF Reputation: 1 Mandy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Fix it up before I trade it in?

Hey everyone! I was hoping someone could help me out. Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, I am having a hard time finding someone to answer my question.

I currently own a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 which I want to trade in, within a few months, for a new one. Despite a few initial problems, this car has been very good to me. It has 88000 miles, the interior is in pretty good shape except for a few scratches around the knobs. The exterior is another story. Overall, it's showing the normal wear that a car it's age should be showing, but the paint on the hood is peeling badly. The hood also has large rust spots. It's by no means rusted through and in my opinion the rusting isn't that heavy... just spread out. I still owe $2500 on the car and I'm afraid they will laugh at me when I pull up to the dealership and then offer me $50 for the car. I'm considering finding someone to paint the hood for me very inexpensivly so that it looks better as a trade. What do you all think? Would it be worth the money? If the dealership at least gave me what I owe on the car I would be happy.

Thanks!!

I'll gladly take a picture of the damage if that would be helpful. Please just let me know. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Check kbb.com for the value of your car and play around with the "condition"

I ran a quick "quote" on an 00 Zx3 with 88k miles

here are the prices for trade in:
Excellent $3,250
Good $2,870
Fair $2,255

Now everyone will tell you that dealer usually never gives more than the value KBB gives out for GOOD condition. So you will get somewhat less...

So basically, find out how much it would cost you to have the cr repainted and all rust removed, and if it is less than 60% of the increase from Fair to Excellent, do it..otherwise you might be thorwing money out the window.

Alternatively, you coulid sell private party, where fixing up the car is usually reflected in higher gains.

Igor
Old 04-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 34338
What I Drive: 00 Merc Cougar

FF Reputation: 1 Frizzle86 Good Standing Member
take the hood off, get it done at Macco if your going to just trade it in. You will pay a cheap price to get it done, and it will look OK. It would only cost u $500 bucks but best to get quotes.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1657
What I Drive: 2003 focus zx5 pzev 5 spd manual

FF Reputation: 1 Focaro Good Standing Member
From my experience with trade-ins I wouldn't even bother to fix anything on the car. It's just a waiste of money in my oppinion.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
you should definitly prep it for trade, fix any of the major paint defects and bring it in for a full detail, ive heard people getting a good deal more on the trade in just b/c they went to a car wash and get one of those 80-100 dollar full details.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3, what else! About to trade it in for another :D

Thanks everyone. I think i'll get estimates for the hood on Monday. My fiance and will take a Saturday to detail the heck out of my Focus. After some consideration and checking KBB, I might sell it myself.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:44 AM   #7
aka The Wizard

Fan#: 27514
What I Drive: '87 Jetta GL, '82 Benz 300TD

Points 22,549, Level 93
Points: 22,549, Level: 93 Points: 22,549, Level: 93 Points: 22,549, Level: 93
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Timmeh! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
a commonly overlooked element that could actually help a lot would be the engine bay.
mind you the exterior and interior are more important, but it might help to just clean it up a little.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:32 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 32549
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 NewBuyer83 Good Standing Member
Just make sure the car is lookin decent all around...

I got an AMAZING $1500 on my '94 civic with 103,000 miles with both sides of the rear bumper completely rusted off, hanging off the car, needing new tires, brakes, alignment, etc, and they knew about all this. You might be surprised at what they are willing to give you, and if you aren't, demand more.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:12 AM   #9
Focus Rookie

Well, I posted 2 pics in my gallery if anyone wants to see what i'm talking about. I had a picture of the rest of the car for comparision but accidently deleted it and I didn't feel like going back outside. :)
I went and got an estimate of $224 to repaint the hood. I think it will be worth it!
I forgot to mention before that the car was in a front end accident before I got it so I guess they did a poor paint job when repairing it. At least that's why I think it looks so bad now.
I really appreciate all the input... think i'll have to stick around here. Especially when I get my new Focus!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.