oil change - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
d u c k lover

Fan#: 27034
What I Drive: black 2000 Altima gxe /sexy beast

FF Reputation: 48 cassa Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
oil change

well my husband did the oil change for the 81 vette he just bought off ebay.....what a pain in the butt!
he is religious in changing the oil in all our cars. every 3000 miles he is out there in the driveway....and right now we have 5 cars...so he is dedicated! but this was the first time he did it for the vette. it really sucked.
he put the car on ramps and got all his stuff together.
now, my husband is a big guy and he had to squeeze under this freaking thing. and the filter and plug were all the way at the back, towards the windshield. of course i was getting all nervous that the car was going to fall on him. i shoved a little cooler on the side of the car just in case the thing fell on him. he just laughed at me saying the car was going nowhere, and if it did, that stupid cooler would not hold it up and stop the vette from crushing him!
anyway...it was a struggle to get the plug out...we were trying to find the right ratchet size...but we finally found it. then it was time to unscrew the oil filter! what a bitch and a half! but he always does the same thing everytime he has to do this.....he takes a screwdriver and puts it on the side of the filter and hammers it in so he can use it as a turning arm to unscrew the filter. this time, though, i had to do the hammering because he didn't have enough room to maneuver it himself. so as the two of us laid in the driveway i said "ok great!! we are both going to be crushed to death!!" well....it all worked out....but yuck!! it sucked!
does anybody else use that method with the screwdriver? just curious.
i told him, next time, just go to freakin jiffy lube!!!!

randomies lover#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyrob View Post
hi carleen from effin joisee
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: .

Points 16,420, Level 82
Points: 16,420, Level: 82 Points: 16,420, Level: 82 Points: 16,420, Level: 82
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
jiffy lube sucks... doing it yourself gives better satisfaction..lol yes, they are a pain in the ass, just like the focus. with my old explorer, no jacking was needed, and with the focus, you have to jack, crawl, and wiggle...lol he should invest in a car lift if he is going to be soing oil changes on 5 cars, and it helps when you rotate the tires too...
Old 04-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29791
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 ST, '06 Escape, '87 911 Cab

FF Reputation: 5 babyface Good Standing Member
Jiffy lube isnt THAT bad. Well, ok, they are, but I din't say it. Ssssshhhh! Jiffy Lube is watching you.

I just did the changr for my car, which was a pain in the ass, cuz I had trouble using the damn ramps. And I had to do it in an EXTREMELY NARROW driveway. Even then, it only took about 25 minutes.
ST Crew #1

Current Mods: Silverstars, iPad radio/navigation, center muffler delete, Hella 700FF driving lights, brakes, Red/White footwell LED's, lock-switch lights, Tigger doll from GF
Old 04-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
d u c k lover

he has a hydraulic jack...but he was too freakin lazy to go downstairs to get it!!! so instead we spent 2 hours laying on cement!!! yay!! fun!!
it never takes him that long....not ever...but this was the first time with the vette, and whoever put the filter in put it in waaay too tight...........my honey knows just how far to screw it in without it posing a leak....................................holy hell!!! that sounds so dirty!!!
randomies lover#1
Quote:
Old 04-15-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

Points 14,695, Level 78
Points: 14,695, Level: 78 Points: 14,695, Level: 78 Points: 14,695, Level: 78
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hahaha....i never thought of hammering a screwdriver in and unscrewing it that way. thats awesome. sometimes i have trouble gettin the damn filter cause its up so high. i just destroy the damn thing with my filter wrench cause i know im not usin that one again.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29791
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 ST, '06 Escape, '87 911 Cab

FF Reputation: 5 babyface Good Standing Member
hey, does anyone know what kind of filters are best for Duratecs? For my 5k oilchange, I actually had Jiffy Lube do it. But what filters do they use?
ST Crew #1

Current Mods: Silverstars, iPad radio/navigation, center muffler delete, Hella 700FF driving lights, brakes, Red/White footwell LED's, lock-switch lights, Tigger doll from GF
Old 04-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17493
What I Drive: 2005 yellow zx3

FF Reputation: 1 magic2119 Good Standing Member
i used a fram i want to say when i changed mine last, but i'm not sure
Team Duratec #15

You Are NOT Prepared!!
Old 04-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
d u c k lover

let me tell you daniel, hammering the screwdriver into the filter is a very efficient way to deal with it........i've seen my husband do it many times. and he just cranks it like he is using a open ended wrench or a enormous ratchet........it works everytime.
i was just wondering if anybody else did it that way....
but your method of destroying the damn thing is also good........you can get a lot of aggressions out that way!! yay!
randomies lover#1
Quote:
Old 04-15-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(

Fan#: 493
What I Drive: 02 PWorks SVTF, 2014 Subaru Outback

Points 37,070, Level 100
Points: 37,070, Level: 100 Points: 37,070, Level: 100 Points: 37,070, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 avengerc4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I'm never doing my car again...me and my friend go to do the change...well we jack the car up and go to start. First we can't get the damn filter off so we go to autozone to get a part to take it off, BUT we get back and it DOESN'T FIT!! Arg...so we go back to frickin autozone with the top and filter cause I knew one was wrong...so we get there and BOTH were wrong and some guys helped me also...I was pissed so I was like f it I'm returning them both and the guy got all pissy. Well this has been about 40 min so far dicking around with autozone and back. So I go to advanced autoparts across the street and low and behold they have the correct filter AND thing to get the filter off. Yah I'm happy now!! (Just to note autozone doesn't destinguish between SVT and ZX3 they have both engines under one tad diff name and I have no idea what it is....aap has it under SVT and only one filter will pull up and it's correct...I also figured that out...) So we get back and I take off the filter woot woot almost there!! Get out the sockets and NONE and I mean NONE fit....We had a 13 14 anything you could think of. I guess my friends tools suck or somethin....so this is about an hr or more into the change and f this I'm bringing the oil and shit to some place to change it...So I put some oil into the new filter just so they wouldn't have to put that on the car also and I left the top open cause I had both hands full making sure to get enough oil on it then put the oil on the ground. I give it to my friend and go to put the cap on and he KICKS the oil over.....omg....I'm enfuriated at this point cause NOTHING went right. So I tell him to check everything and he says ok...I turn the damn car on and go to get the change done by a place. I get there and tell em what happened and to check for a plug thats size 14 cause I couldn't find the right socket. He does the change 45 min later cause there was a line...first off the guy looks pissed as hell so I'm like what's up....
My friend never took off the old seal from the old filter....so when they pulled my car up onto the life there was no and I mean NO oil in the car. after I paid I went outside and saw a line of oil going from my car to the lift and it was real wide also and tappered off toward the end. Not to mention my car smelled horribly for a few days while the oil burned off. I was soooooooo pissed....he then tells me the oil thing was a damn 13mm!!! I was like I tried like 5 13s!! literally and none worked!!! so that was the worst thing ever...never again will I try and change oil unless I can get the damn right socket....omg that was a pain in the ass!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
d u c k lover

sweetie...bring your car over to my house....my husband is a glutton for punishment!! he loves changing the freaking oil on all our cars..........i think it has become a fetish with him....
you definitely had a bad experience...and i feel for you....believe me, i do....
randomies lover#1
Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.