IDEA: True Luxury Lincoln - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
IDEA: True Luxury Lincoln

OK I was thinking about something, and someone older and/or wiser than me can correect me, but wouldn;t it work if Lincoln switched to true fixed pricing, and built-on-demand sale scheme?

I would imagine the elimination of Lincoln dealers and creation of network of Lincoln Demonstration centers - fully owned and operated by Lincoln - no more franchises. These centers would have one goal - to demontrate the cars offered and ge you to buy a Lincoln. (notice.. not to buy from them just to buy one. The demontrators would npt get any comission - just a good salary. The DC)Demontration Center) would have no input on price.. the price would be fixed.

Each DC would have 2 vehicles from each model - the stripped down one, and the fully loaded one. In the building, there would be a Demontration Room for each model. In the MKZ Room, you would see Large swatches of the exterior color. A driver's seat upholstered in each fabric/leather avialable, and the dash in all combinations. All other options should be demontratable on the 2 vehicles on the lot.

Then once a customer decides on what exactly she or he wants, they would simply order everything from an online databse. There would be a distribution center in each area of North america (say no more than a day of driving away) where they would stock up a bunch of vehicles.. If they have close to what you want, go for it.. or we will order it.

Moreover, do you know everything you want to know? Order online.. simple as that.. all the information out there in the open. Moreover, all cars would come with free maintenance and at least 5y/100k miles warranty

For purposes of evaluation of DC and the staff, he moment someone greets a curtomer at the door, he or she hands to the customer a card with code and password to online satisfaction survey.. This would include EVERYONE not just those that would actualy buy a car.

Simple as that, there would be none of the displeasure of buying a car and trying to get a deal.. isn't part of buying luxury the idea that no one will ty to scam you and the buying experience should be perfectly happy time for the buyer? Some makes and models did do this.. the ultimate one of them - VW Phaeton...

There is a glitch I do not know how to bypass.. handling of trade ins - there seems to be need for haggling over the trade in value.. but I would love if it wasn't there..

The ultimate idea is for a buyer to be happy with Lincoln and not the dealer.. I want place of purchase to be at least irrelevant to the sale process. At best they should be the reason people buy cars from Lincoln - the pleasure ofthe process, and the exlusivity one feels by not havving to quibble over cents on a vehicle that can cost well over $50k. .

Is this utopia? Are there downsides I did not think about? What do you think?

BTW I even have the slogan: Lincoln - True Luxury Experience.. and website of trueluxury.com to start off the customer education on the change.

Thanks for comments.

Igor

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: '99 Saab 9-3

Points 7,129, Level 55
Points: 7,129, Level: 55 Points: 7,129, Level: 55 Points: 7,129, Level: 55
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice idea from the consumer's standpoint, but believe me, the NADA is a VERY powerful group, and most every attempt in the past by a manufacturer (Ford, Saturn, etc) to basically cut out the middle man (dealer) has failed due to pressure from NADA and other dealer associations. It is a nice concept, maybe some day there will be bits of pieces of something similar in place, who knows.

BTW, the Phaeton tanked horribly. It was an answer to a question no one asked.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Just a thought about the trade-in problem. People buying a Lincoln are not usually trading in a beater... Kelly BB gives general values based on year, model, accesories, mileage, etc... Publish trade-in values on the same website that lets you design your car (even if you only published a "guaranteed minimum"). Heck, if the trade in value turns out to be off by a grand, they're giving more than that away in incentives right now...
Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: '99 Saab 9-3

Points 7,129, Level 55
Points: 7,129, Level: 55 Points: 7,129, Level: 55 Points: 7,129, Level: 55
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
^^^ Certainly not a bad idea. As you said, there's always enough incentives flying all over to absorb any "ooops" in appraised values.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
aka The Wizard

Fan#: 27514
What I Drive: '87 Jetta GL, '82 Benz 300TD

Points 22,549, Level 93
Points: 22,549, Level: 93 Points: 22,549, Level: 93 Points: 22,549, Level: 93
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Timmeh! Good Standing Member
here's how i see it anyone with that amount of money to plop down on a new car would probably rather just custom order one anyway.....
if i ever do get a mini coop S im gonna custom order it...
that way its already my dream car i just have to pay for it..........
and then fishtail it turning out of the lot :)
Old 03-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

BTW Here is my inspiration..
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/con...3060960290969/

And I agree with you I<3 that is why I thought about this... Haggling is for the fish market.. not for a luxury car...

If I ever have the money to throw into a BMW, I want to sit down on a leather sofa, sip coffee and go over a custom order form ith printed prices on it..

Then I want to shake my hand with the dealer and be friends for the coming years... If I ever decide to buy luxury, and the deale will try to incite haggling I am out of there befor he can say "I can work on it" ....

That is the whole thing... but I guess, based on what ZX4ST said... NADA would never allow it.... unfortunately..

Igor
Old 03-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
aka The Wizard

Points 22,549, Level 93
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
ahh but still haggling can work to your advantage too.

if you do have your custom car picked out you might be able to haggle in some of the extras free by just saying "well since its not on your lot i can always go get it from dealer X" i mean not the big extras, but heated seats maybe or power windows (although they should be standard)
Old 03-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

^^^That is the point... I do not want to do that.. fixed pricing is a good deal...

no discounts, no dealer fights.. and no cars rotting on lots all cares custom ordered (or ordered from distribusion centers)...

Kind of like the old Saturn system that is mostly gone at this point.

Igor
Old 03-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12504
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 havoc7476 Good Standing Member
its a very good idea. but i don't think that you would recoup the cost of making completly customized vehicle from the factory. the only company that has done this is Maybach, and they are extremely high end luxury going for more than 300k plus.

if a person was to say 'buy out' Lincoln from Ford Motor Company you could do it. you don't need a lot of room if you only have a couple of vechicles combined with an on demand building system. then could bring back a true north american luxury car.
SVT Squad #197
Old 03-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
aka The Wizard

Points 22,549, Level 93
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
true the lincoln line would have to be cut down to those cars that really sell well year after year in order to make custom ordering feasible...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.