V8 Focus Conversion? or Turbo? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Which would you do in my situation? Please read post first
Turbo SVT 91 42.72%
V8 Focus 122 57.28%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
V8 Focus Conversion? or Turbo?

So here's my dilemma...i did the math and priced almost everything out. Should I save up and do the Turbo (i'm pretty much there in terms of $ wise prolly 2-3 months off tops) or possibly wait a bit longer and just say F it to hell and do the V8 Conversion. Might not even start the whole V8 disassembly/install till Fall.

Here is my estimated figures for both:
Turbo: $6300
V8 Conversion: $7600

now the math was done like this, i did estimated worth of the parts I could SELL off my SVT because it'd be replaced with something new...the math for the turbo includes gauges, safeguard, clutch, flywheel, boost controller everything i'd need but NO engine buildup. The V8 number includes everything down to the custom exhaust, gauges, fuel cell, radiator, cost for a donor mustang, possibly engine rebuild, clutch, flywheel everything (except a rear disc coversion).

HOWEVER, for the V8 conversion i'd need to wait a few more months because like i said the price above is after I sell parts that i take off my SVT (estimated prices i could sell those parts for), and it requires me to save up about 3-4k more just to start and i'll recoup the a few K after i sell the stock parts off my car that i can sell.

Now the big dilemma, i live in the North East, winters are harsh at times, it will be a daily driver, however, i will say i see mustangs rolling around in the snow, can't see why i can't either. As for labor, it'll all be done by me and a group of friends, so its pretty much free, i have access to a shop every weekend so i got storage and a nice indoor environment to work in (no lift tho).

What would you guys do? If I go turbo i'd still have to shell out more $ to build up engine to support more boost. If i go V8 i'd have to be without my car for at the very least 3 months cause we can only really work on it during weekends and off-days. I do have a backup means of transportation, but thats only a motorcycle, when rain/snow comes, im sort of out of luck. For the turbo, i'd probably lose my car for about a week or two tops while i install, and gather time to go get it dyno tuned. (neither prices above include any sort of tuning at all)

I was dead set on the whole turbo ordeal, until my friend talked me into looking into the V8 more instead lol! So vote, if you were in my situation which would you do?

P.S. Any mustang gurus out there or anyone who can lend some information on the V8 install feel free to drop me a PM :D I do need guidance in finding a rear or even a good yr donor mustang for more pricing adjustment work.

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 03:53 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31568
What I Drive: 1996 Dk. Green Mustang GT Conv. MTX

FF Reputation: 4 Shadowrunner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
well, yes, the V8 would cost more, but i don't think i've seen anyone on here who has done the conversion. i would be VERY interested to see that done, and i'm sure everyone else on here would, too. look at it this way, you're sure to get ride of the month! lol :)
returned fiance's engagement ring, since she returned me, made nice pc funds lol
Old 03-02-2006, 05:25 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28488
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 919Maniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The V8 will give you what the Focus doesn't have - Power, and take away what it DOES have - handling. All that weight in the nose is going to not do you any favors, plus you go to a live axle rear. Not too great on the corner carving. If you only drag race, it'll work out nicely.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22268
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

Points 1,075, Level 17
Points: 1,075, Level: 17 Points: 1,075, Level: 17 Points: 1,075, Level: 17
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 2 svtfiend Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hate to rain on your parade 919, but the RS8 that ford racing built using a svt focus and cobra mustang for the donor cars, out handles a svtf. not only that, but it blew the doors off a lambo murciellago (i don't know about spelling, you guys know which one i'm talking about) in EVERY contest they threw at it.

so, listen. the v8 idea is AWESOME, but expect to get in deeper than you have planned. when ford did this, they transferred everything from the suspension, rear end, brakes, tranny, etc from the cobra. a lot of work, and i imagine a lot of fabrication. now, i'm not saying that you and your buddies can't take a late model mustang and get everything together in working order enough to go out and have some fun in a v8 focus, but will it be reliable? will it handle as good as it should? etc, etc. i don't know you or your friends shop or mechanical abilities by any means, but be prepared dude!

for the stang donor selection, i would check out mustang salvage places on the net (they're always advertised in 5.0 & mmff magazines), do a google search and see what you can find. i bet you could get a 94-99 cobra wrecked, or high mileage for under 5g's. these engines are all super reliable, and made between 280-320hp... plenty for a focus v8, and you can always throw some boltons on later for some wicked power. some of the things you'd need to worry about customizing would be the motor mounts, driveshaft, shifter location, rear end supports, tranny mount... the list goes on and on. unless you have a ton of free time, it could take you a year to do by yourselves.

as much work as it seems, it would be great to be able to be apart of this. i'll try to find the RS8 Focus article and get what info i can out of it to help you out with the decision.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2502
What I Drive: black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Focus_sucoF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
yes the v8 acctually makes it handle better...i have ben workin on my v8 swap for some time now but i am not using the kit so the way i am doin it will kill the handeling of the car but strongly improve 1/4 mile times. now dont forget to add in the little knick knacks u will need such as hoses clamps gaskets ect. that shit can add up ALOT
Old 03-02-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
go turbo youll be able to get V8 power without having to shove a big v8 in there and change the weight etc. Like Tom and some others there are people on this forum with turbo svts that have 350 horspower to the wheels. Dont do the swap, another reason is that youd be to me ruining a limited production svt.....i just dont have the heart to see its engine replaced by some old v8. If your going to do the swap id say save the svt its life and go trade it in for a lesser focus. But go talk to Tom and the other Turbo'd svt guys and see what they have to say. Oh also i dont know if you care, but im assuming this is your daily driver....so gas milage might be a concern to you as well.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:48 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8465
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

Points 4,306, Level 41
Points: 4,306, Level: 41 Points: 4,306, Level: 41 Points: 4,306, Level: 41
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 m0nny Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Is this your daily driver?
"Exactly.
Dont race him, it would be a waste of gas. You would probably win.
Zetec is a cheap ripoff of vtec and is nothing like vtec, i dont even think you can feel it kick in. "

Anyone else feel their zetec kicking in?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28488
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 919Maniac Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by svtfiend
hate to rain on your parade 919, but the RS8 that ford racing built using a svt focus and cobra mustang for the donor cars, out handles a svtf. not only that, but it blew the doors off a lambo murciellago (i don't know about spelling, you guys know which one i'm talking about) in EVERY contest they threw at it.

so, listen. the v8 idea is AWESOME, but expect to get in deeper than you have planned. when ford did this, they transferred everything from the suspension, rear end, brakes, tranny, etc from the cobra. a lot of work, and i imagine a lot of fabrication. now, i'm not saying that you and your buddies can't take a late model mustang and get everything together in working order enough to go out and have some fun in a v8 focus, but will it be reliable? will it handle as good as it should? etc, etc. i don't know you or your friends shop or mechanical abilities by any means, but be prepared dude!

for the stang donor selection, i would check out mustang salvage places on the net (they're always advertised in 5.0 & mmff magazines), do a google search and see what you can find. i bet you could get a 94-99 cobra wrecked, or high mileage for under 5g's. these engines are all super reliable, and made between 280-320hp... plenty for a focus v8, and you can always throw some boltons on later for some wicked power. some of the things you'd need to worry about customizing would be the motor mounts, driveshaft, shifter location, rear end supports, tranny mount... the list goes on and on. unless you have a ton of free time, it could take you a year to do by yourselves.

as much work as it seems, it would be great to be able to be apart of this. i'll try to find the RS8 Focus article and get what info i can out of it to help you out with the decision.
I don't doubt FORD could make a car like that, but average Joe?? FORD has legions of engineers, computers, race mechanics, not to mention millions of dollars to throw at something like that. Your average guy? Not so much.

In fact, here is a quote from Ford from RSSportscars.com

"One look at the RS8 would suggest that its transformation from a production front-driver into a rear-drive pocket rocket was a study in simplicity. But in reality, Ford Racing engineers had their work cut out for them from the start.

Beyond fitting the drivetrain, there was the challenge of designing new suspensions front and rear. FRPP engineers put together a prototype setup inspired by Kugel Komponents up front, and a rear unit locating a Ford Racing 8.8-inch differential while offering adjustable ride height using Multimatic dampers. The newly-designed rear-wheel drive conversion kit will be sold through the FRPP catalog.

Four-wheel discs put the brakes on 18x8-inch European RS alloy wheels, wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 ZR18 tires up front and 255/45 ZR18s in the back.

"This isn't the typical sport compact modification project, but it sure will get attention out on the streets," exclaimed Davis. "With rear-wheel drive and over 400 horsepower, the Focus RS8 will make itself known at the drag strip and any road course. We're even going to take it drifting!"

Last edited by 919Maniac; 03-02-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:24 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
I'd expect at least $30K for an enthusiast replicate something close to the RS8, with the chassis and suspension work needed to take the handling to that sort of level.

And that's if you do everything yourself and have a full garage of tools.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 244,429, Level 100
Points: 244,429, Level: 100 Points: 244,429, Level: 100 Points: 244,429, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
It really depends on wether you want a hot-rod toy to have nutty fun in, or a daily driver. The turbo will still get good milage and be FAST.
The V8 would be sick and get alot of attention but would not be as practical. So decide what you want as to what you are going to do with it.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.