One week later - A 1st time SVT opinion - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
Chronic Curmudgeon

Fan#: 32246
What I Drive: '03 EAP SVTF

FF Reputation: 11 Phacade Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
One week later - A 1st time SVT opinion

I've pretty much driven nothing but Z's for quite awhile, early Z's at that. '73, '75, you get the idea. And they've always been reliable and fun to drive. Fast forward a few years later and I've got two little girls. Since we have the family Intrepid as well, there really isn't any need to get rid of the Z, except that I can't take my girls any place in my car...and my car doesn't get driven all that much. Big time bummer since its such a beautiful & fun car. So I make the decision to get something with 4 seats that can haul my 2 year old & 4 month old and still be alot of fun to drive.

Looked around for quite a bit. Checked out a few Camaros, some 2+2 300ZXs, A Cobalt SS, Toyota Celicas, and of course a Focus SVT. I was leaning towards the smaller car that is not necessarily fast but nimble and fun. Fast, after all, gets you tickets. So after looking on these boards and checking a few other sources, I drove & bought my first Focus; a 2003 SVT with 36K on it. Decent price with a warranty on it even. Some aspects of the car are wonderful. Its drives great, is pretty much as nimble as my 280Z, and definatly has the creature comforts. It doesn't have the torque or horsepower my 280Z did, this is obvious when starting out or going up my really steep driveway, but its a 4-cyl and not a 6-cyl so this is forgiveable. Seems to be a pretty well made car, although the sun visors seems a bit cheap.

Since I've had the car and been looking around on this site, I see alot of trash talking on the Focus, calling it everything from an entry-level car to a complete pig to worse. It seems to be well put together and handles quite nice from what I can see. Granted its the newest car I've owned and the only car I've ever paid payments for, and granted unlike alot of the young kids (and I stress the word "kids" with perhaps a few good useful adjectives in addition) I see on this site I don't have a unlimited disposable income to "pimp" out my SVT, but its a seemingly great car.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30270
What I Drive: 2005 9-3 Arc Convertible (black), 2004 Focus ZX3 (black), 2005 Factory Five GTM (black)

Points 1,985, Level 26
Points: 1,985, Level: 26 Points: 1,985, Level: 26 Points: 1,985, Level: 26
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 chrselmore Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The performance factor (pro and con) is always on debate here, but I think everyone can agree that you can make your Focus SVT look very nice. Exterior mods are endless. The look of the car is what sold me.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22268
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

Points 1,052, Level 17
Points: 1,052, Level: 17 Points: 1,052, Level: 17 Points: 1,052, Level: 17
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 svtfiend Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
glad you dig the svt man. you'll find over 200 people with a similar opinion of it on this site. just wanted to through in that, if you're on a tight budget but would still love to easily get some more ponies, better gas mileage, and drivability out of your great new car get a tune from tom at focus power or wayne at hypnotic illusions auto. ranging from 280 to about 500 bucks depending on hardware, its a great place to start. some people get a tune and don't feel a need to buy more bolt ons... others... well, just look at some of the extensive mods listed in or signatures. young people are frivolous (spell check) with money, but when it comes to cars, some of us are just gear-heads and speed junkies. welcome aboard Brother!

justin
Old 02-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
For a car with the wrong set of wheels turning, the SVT has been a remarkable piece of hardware. Like you said, comfortably fast enough without being stupid-fast.

As far as pimping goes, well, there was one car, the entire world over, with the exact exterior and interior touches of the SVT focus (the ST170 doesnt count, different bumpers and they get the climate controls we all want ) , I won't touch the exterior of my car, it pays homage to Ford's attempt to sell a euro hot hatch in this country (didn't pan out well for them).

Enjoy the SVT mate, the people who gripe about them seem to be the ones who either have bad mechanical problems, which happen with these cars sometimes, or who lose races; maintain it, and drive for yourself alone, and you're golden
Old 02-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22268
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

Points 1,052, Level 17
Points: 1,052, Level: 17 Points: 1,052, Level: 17 Points: 1,052, Level: 17
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 svtfiend Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
nicely put robzor.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I love my SVTF, race it all the time, and I also don't have a lot of spare cash to spend on modifying it. It's hard for me to justify it, seeing as how fun it is stock, and how well it does in competition as-is.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 02-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18326
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fat pat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i love my car, no matter how much smack i talk about it, i really do. and im never gonna be 100% satisfied with a car until i get my db9...even then, im sure ill find stuff to hate.

this past 3 weeks while my car has been in the body shop and ive been driving a hyundai sonata have been really hard. theres nothing that matches the feeling of decent handling.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.