(P)Review of 2007 Tahoe LT - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
(P)Review of 2007 Tahoe LT

Well..

It will be interesting to see whether the huge investment GM put in the lineup of ful size SUV's will pay off.

I fould a first hands on review on the internet... the guy even drove it for a little bit..

I do not want to be biased, so I will simply quote thw whole article...

Igor
-------------------------------------------------
SOURCE: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/con...2669/index.php
------------------------------------------------
[size=6pt]2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LT[/size]
10 February 2006
By Robert Farago

The SUV is dead. Long live the sedan on stilts! Yes folks, Chevrolet has transformed their Tahoe from a cheap and cheerful workhorse for environmentally insensitive soccer Moms, to a deluxe cruiser for environmentally insensitive soccer Moms. The change is so well executed, so completely earnest in both scope and scale, you almost feel sorry for the beast. Like the Wild Things watching Max sailing back to his bedroom (already regretting his rumpus at the pumpus), the new Tahoe cries out to departing SUV buyers “Come back! We love you so!” What say you, America?

The new Tahoe is certainly a more alluring monster than the big bland boring box it replaces. Bob Lutz-- the GM executive who once dismissed a passel of motor show concept cars as “angry appliances”-- will be delighted with what Chevy’s American Revolution has wrought: a happy appliance. The Tahoe’s sheetmetal displays all the subdued modernism, implied practicality and aesthetic solidity of a Sub-Zero refrigerator, right down to the sleek door handles-- I mean “pulls”. The Tahoe’s hood is as perfectly creased as an Armani suit. The SUV’s bowed nose and tail, the gently curving C-pillar, the side mirrors’ blacked-out bottoms - every detail reflects an entirely successful attempt to give the Tahoe’s exterior a contemporary kitchen's supercool coherence.
icon

The Tahoe’s cabin continues the cognitive displacement. Whereas the previous Tahoe’s pickup truck-style interior was about as inviting as an Al Qaeda cell meeting, the new cockpit sees Ford’s “tough luxury” and raises it an Aston. OK, the Tahoe’s soft touch materials aren’t, the chairs are flatter than a Kansas pool hall, and how much does it cost to smooth off the ends of plastic stalks? But the Tahoe’s lowered dash is faultless in its Starke simplicity. The symmetrical gauges are elegantly restrained. The tasteful dials are ringed with faux chrome and sensibly grouped. The remaining buttons are separated by tiny chrome slashes, with built-in lamps indicating activation. If only BMW’s looked this good and worked this well.

The ergonomic success story does not extend to packaging. Our Tahoe LT was set up in the worst possible combination: two, three, three. In this configuration, the huge second row bench tilts forward and up for access, and then comes crashing back down like a big ass guillotine. Even if your spare children move their feet quickly enough to avoid depeditation, the third row is a sick joke, with no foot well, leg room or visibility. The third row seats are easily removed and replaced - provided Mom has a Bow Flex body - but then what? Alternatively, you could go two, two, two; but then you can’t tote enough grub to feed the troops more than a light lunch - never mind re-clothe them the following day. There’s no excuse for a vehicle this big and thirsty to be this stingy on space.
icon

Yes there is that. If you’re an SUV driver who tows a boat and/or plugs mud, who cares about fuel consumption? But if you’re looking at the so-not-a-butch-minivan-it-literally-hurts Tahoe as some kind of “lifestyle choice,” I’m here to tell you that the EPA figures are bad (16 / 22mpg), the reality worse (11 mpg). Even though the Tahoe LT’s 5.8-liter V8 shuts down four-cylinders in cruise mode, there’s just too much SUV to lug around for its powerplant to stop gargling gas. If you like a lick of speed, the Tahoe’s gonna tear a big old hole in your wallet-- and even if you don’t.

Oh well. At least the Tahoe drives well. The buckboard ride and handling that used to make Mom feel like one of the cowboys has been sucked out every nook and cranny. Chevy started by stiffening the big rig’s frame, turning a wibbly wobbly trucky sort of vehicle into something stable enough to draw attention to its other dynamic deficiencies. So they got rid of them too. They replaced the Tahoe's laughable recirculating ball steering system with a rack and pinion helm that’s genuinely accurate, if equally numb. They made the brakes less squidgy, if only marginally more effective. They ditched the torture-- I mean torsion bar suspension for coil springs and a rear multi-link axle, creating a more comfortable, if similarly floaty-drift ride.
icon

In short, the Tahoe looks, rides, handles, steers, stops and feels like a luxury car. So, if that sort of thing appeals, how about a luxury car? Or a minivan? You know: something with better mileage and a bit more space. Yes, I thought so. Despite a huge evolutionary leap, the Tahoe still doesn’t have what it takes to lure gas-conscious Americans back into their trucks. Max is back in his bedroom with his credit card. And it's still hot.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Chevrolet Tahoe's sheetmetal plays a Zero sub game

Tough luck tough luxury. Tahoe ups the stylistic, ergonomic ante

Third row legroom, not. Three, three, three is three times worse.

The end of the SUV as we know it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Author's Rating: Summary
Great landing, wrong airport.

Chevrolet Tahoe LT
*****Design
**** Performance
**** Ride
*** Handling
** Desirability

SPECS
Model Tested: Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Curb Weight: 5840 lbs.
Engine: 5.8-liter V8 iron block
Horsepower: 320 bhp @ 5300 rpm
Torque: 340 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm
Drive Type: 4WD
0 to 60: 8.5 secs.
1/4 Mile: 16.5 sec @ 84 mph
Price as Tested: $39,990
Top Speed: 112 mph [limited]
Towing Capacity: 7000 lbs.
MPG: 18 / 22

----------------------------------------------------
THE END

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
wow, kind of harsh... I like it!! lol. Still has a solid rear axle, and I am sure plenty of deficiancies that the expidition does better. Is that steering wheel controls for the speed control and radio?? how long did it take chivy to do that???? It does look worlds better than there other truck models though, except for that ugly ass bow tie. talk about nerdy
ST crew #18
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Banned

Fan#: 3742
What I Drive: '05 COBALT SS

FF Reputation: 1 SVT03 Good Standing Member
i agree with the author. ZERO sense in owning an SUV or full size truck unless you have a purpose for it. I love to laugh at people that buy them just to be "cool".
Old 02-21-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by SVT03
i agree with the author. ZERO sense in owning an SUV or full size truck unless you have a purpose for it. I love to laugh at people that buy them just to be "cool".
Yeah I got those looks when driving my GF's Exp... but truth is .... right now we need it.. once we don't it is gonna go bye bye...

BTW anone noticed: real world MPG: 11mpg...
that is wores than the 5.4l V8 in the expy... we got 13..

still pathetic though

Igor
Old 02-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
I filled my mother's Suburban up with gas over the weekend - $81 for 37.5 gals. Enough said.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Banned

Why do you need one right now? Boat? Live on a muddy dirt road? Have horses?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
well
1) it was a present from my Melissa's (<- my GF's) dad.. so it was free

2) Melissa is still in college which means moving at least once a year..
the plan it ..once she graduates this May, the Expy will be packed to the gills and tow a trailer to wherever she gets a job.. and then goes bye bye..

Besides being thirsty, it has an annoying habit of blowing off its cylinders.. one every year... like a clock...we have 4 to go..

Igor
Old 02-21-2006, 09:04 PM   #8
#chairlife

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

Points 20,570, Level 90
Points: 20,570, Level: 90 Points: 20,570, Level: 90 Points: 20,570, Level: 90
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 80%
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%
FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
pretty quick, especially for being close to 6000 pounds.
ST Crew #11
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Focus Takeover #013 / Tarbo Fan # 001
Old 02-21-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 32084
What I Drive: 2004 Lightning Yellow Mazda RX8

FF Reputation: 1 mpt_yellowrx8 Good Standing Member
Quote:
there are some suv's that aren't supposed to be 4wd work horses. my wife and i need one because she has to drive families around to different neighborhoods in our area to show property. it's better to have a vehicle that can seat five comfortably, sometimes six, in her line of work (rather than take two vehicles) and i haven't found any cars that can do that. and because we often travel with our two dogs that we secure in their kennels, which utilize the rear seats. With an suv we can keep the dogs safely secured and still pack our luggage and the dog beds and food. We have looked into the large luxery sedans, but for now we need to have a little more room. We really like the Mercury Mountaineer. It has enough room without being overly sized, cost a good bit less than it's closest competitors, and gets decent gas mileage, 16-22. We hope that a hybrid midsized suv will be available for at or under 40K soon, preferably capable of getting over 35 mpg, but it doesn't seem to be on any of the big 3's priority list. Right now they are more worried about making a 2.5 ton suv get to 60 in under 6 seconds. But rest assured, as soon as the need has been fulfilled we are definitely going car shopping.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
Banned

Honda Pilot's are great SUV's for your needs^^^. They have 3rd row seating, 87.6 cu ft of space with the 3rd seat down (as oppsed to the gas guzzling Explorer, which has 84 cu ft), 2 or 4wd trims, pretty good powered V6 that gets over 24mpg, it has VCM (varaible cylinder management), fancy for cylinder deactiviation, and they hold their value WAY BETTER than an explorer. My wife and I are going to get one as soon as our house it built.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.