Somewhat bad news about FoMoCo NA B segments.. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Somewhat bad news about FoMoCo NA B segments..

Ford looks back
Ford, meanwhile, continues to pursue its retro tack, building on the Bronco concept that was revealed at the 2004 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The neo-Bronco and a companion five-door hatchback are to be aimed, like the Dodge Hornet, at Gen-Y buyers who have been drawn to the Scion xA and xB and are expected to be the primary audience for such recent and upcoming entries as the Honda Fit, the Nissan Versa and the Toyota Yaris.

Like DaimlerChrysler, Dearborn searched around the globe for the right combination of platform and production sourcing, rejecting one proposal to import a small Fiesta-based utility vehicle called "EcoSport" from its Brazilian subsidiary.

Ford's Japanese affiliate Mazda already is doing the engineering development work on the next-generation Fiesta for Europe, Asia and Latin America, but the new B-segment platform was deemed too expensive for the '09 baby Bronco, which Ford hopes to price from under $10,000.

So two strategic decisions have been taken — one, to base the Bronco on the current Fiesta to keep costs down and, two, to assemble the car at Ford of Mexico's Cuautitlán plant, which currently makes the Fiesta-based Ikon sedan for Latin American markets. Originally, the Bronco was to have gone into production in fall 2007, but the program recently was delayed by a year and a second model added

Again.. just when I though Ford was getting a clue...

SOURCE: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109336

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Oh.. but at least we know BroncoII is on its way... but we are not getting the EcoSport.. or Fiesta... We will see how the "second model will look like..

Igor
Old 02-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Sounds a little like their decision to keep the focus on the C170 platform.... which, we all agree, was an awesome decision...

Largely academic for me at least, unless Ford makes an honest Evo competitor in the next 5 years they probably wont get my business anyway, and I dont think they were going to give us an AWD turbo Fiesta ST anyway.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
God Ford!! Please call it something other than a Bronco - Please, for the love of Christ, don't trash that name like you have Lincoln's!!

Anything built on a fiesta chassis is not going to be very offroad worthy, and definitely not worthy of being called a Bronco. The Bronco II was already stretching it, but this is rediculous!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

well the current platform is capable of AWD - I mean all of fiestas are the CURRENT platform... and I would assume the Bronco will have AWD or 4WD optional..

I wonder when the next platform is coming out...to production... I would say not for another 2-3 years - Fiesta just for a significant mid-cycle facelift..

Igor
Old 02-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Looks like people will have to go to a Toyota or Nissan dealership for a Bronco fix...

Old 02-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
CostraNostraTabasco

Fan#: 145
What I Drive: 02 Infra ZTW

Points 16,817, Level 82
Points: 16,817, Level: 82 Points: 16,817, Level: 82 Points: 16,817, Level: 82
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 25 HotRodWagon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (39)
Quote:
Originally posted by Kneel
God Ford!! Please call it something other than a Bronco - Please, for the love of Christ, don't trash that name like you have Lincoln's!!

Anything built on a fiesta chassis is not going to be very offroad worthy, and definitely not worthy of being called a Bronco. The Bronco II was already stretching it, but this is rediculous!
Anyone feeling a ranger comming on?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Anyone feeling a ranger comming on?

they def. need a new ranger. The current one isn't much different than my 1985 ranger. I don't know how they still are the best selling mid size... hopefully they will come out with a new ranger that kicks ass again for 23 years
ST crew #18
Old 02-17-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
they def. need a new ranger. The current one isn't much different than my 1985 ranger. I don't know how they still are the best selling mid size... hopefully they will come out with a new ranger that kicks ass again for 23 years
Ford needed an all-new Ranger 10-12 years ago. The only reason it still sells in qty is purely due to fleet sales. Nothing keeps kicking ass for 23 years - someone just needs to tell Ford that. Nevermind, I'm sure someone has - they just don't listen.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.